"Flippem Automatic Coupling System" a replacement for Dingham couplings

MarcD

Just a quick update on the progress with the couplings. The test etch for the 7mm versions should be ready before Christmas. They contain enough parts for me to make sure the parts work for real and 2 sets of the starter packs (variable heights and depths) for 22 vehicles. The cost for the starter pack is £25. Once the trial etch has returned and I have assembled the whole system I will release the first 2 starter packs and the full production run, for the 7mm version will start in the new year. The 3.5/4mm version to follow soon after, I don't have a price for these yet.

Prices will be 

7mm starter pack of hooks, loops and delay bars (22 sets) £25

7mm Standard and +1mm pack of hooks, loops and delay bars (22 sets) £25

7mm wide loops to be back fitted to Dingham couplings £15

7mm 3D printed Depth Gauge £10

7mm 3D printed buffer beam packing pieces £5

3.5/4mm prices to follow 

Marc

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/11/2021 at 18:01, bluestag said:

The Wizard product is unavailable.    It is designed specifically for half inch ply with a cork underlay.   My layout is 3/4" ply with 1/2" fiberboard and no cork.    I would have to gouge out a large hole in the ply and screw the uncoupler to the fiberboard.

I really need an uncoupler with an 1 1/4" pole piece.    Which I am unlikely to find.   I suppose that the solenoid cannot excite a magnetic force over such a long rod.

Have a look for secondhand H & M point motors, the two coils linked together plus the pole do the job.

30 minutes ago, steve howe said:

Have a look for secondhand H & M point motors, the two coils linked together plus the pole do the job.

Steve,

Thanks.   I'm in Los Angeles, so H&M point motors are thin on the ground.    But a chum of mine has several Peco point motors just lying around.    I'll experiment with one of those.

Kevin

• RMweb Premium

Be warned the Peco solenoids are only good for very momentary activation. They quickly overheat and go ‘poof’ after a couple of secs. Well, mine did! Don’t seem to have much omph either. I know others have successfully wound their own using large nails, but have no knowledge what the number of windings, the size of the enamelled wire, or the supply voltage needs to be. 

The etches for the prototype Flippem Automatic Coupling arrived about an hour ago. They look good if I do say myself. I'm going to fit some to some stock over the Christmas weekend, the Boss is on nights. So I will post some photos shortly

Marc

• Like 4

Hi Marc, 

I've just started fitting Dingham couplings to my 4mm model railway, and I found your site when I was looking to buy more.  Can you tell me, please, whether your Flippems are compatible with the Dingham couplers?  If they are, I can continue fitting my Dinghams, and then wait until the 4mm Flippems are available.  Otherwise I shall need to stop the existing conversions and hold off until the Flippems are available.

Many thanks,

Glyndwr

Yes the 4mm version like the 7mm version will be compatible with the original "Dingham" system. I will also be making the enlarged hoops available as a separate etch so they can be back fitted on to the original hooks.  Once I have proved the 7mm version, which I currently doing I will produce production etches for both the 7mm and 4mm versions. I'm hopefully going to be able to finish the artwork for this next week and, COVID, permitting I should have the first etches back by mid February. So I will be able to take advanced orders for 4mm and 7mm versions some where around 15th of Jan , with a potential delivery date of mid February.

Marc

• Like 8

On 18/12/2021 at 00:42, bluestag said:

Steve,

Thanks.   I'm in Los Angeles, so H&M point motors are thin on the ground.    But a chum of mine has several Peco point motors just lying around.    I'll experiment with one of those.

Kevin

Hi, just a thought, I have extended the poles on uncoupling electromagnets by adding a section cut from an 3" iron nail glued in a hole drilled in a thick baseboard. The section needs to touch the pole of the magnet. The result is that the flux generated is nearly that at the pole. It might we worth trying. Kevin.

I have just finished testing the system. It works and it works well so I will be drawing up the production etches next. 

The grey wagon (LNWR Dia2) is fitted with a plus 1mm "Flippem" hook and loop the brown wagon (LSWR 4PLK) is fitted with a standard height  "Dingham" hook and delay bar. being used on WC Boggs. they run through and couple on the 3ft4 reverse curve. The LSWR 4 plank has had a "Flippem" loop fitted to the other hook to prove that back fitting "Flippem" loops to "Dingham" hooks was possible.

2091525592_flippemloopdinghamhook.jpg.43b07e5020de6d07d6d07f712bd762a7.jpg

The second photo shows the difference between the "Flippem" on the left and the "dingham" on the right.

1910496251_flippemloopagainstdingham.jpg.1decd87ede374301afe5363c85cd0c43.jpg

As you can see the "Flippem" is made from thicker material and has a greater cross-section for better strength. Also you can see that the size of the loop is bigger which allows it to be used with very tight radius curves. I have tried them on PECO set track and they work every time. There looks like there is also spare room between the hook and the loop to enable them to be used on even tighter curves less than 3ft4.

The third photo shows the difference changing the hook height can have.  The coupling on the left is the plus 2mm "Flippem" and the one on the right is the "Dingham" the wagons are the same, our SDJR 5 planks, as you can see the loop on the left would pass over the hook on the right and likewise there no chance that the loop on the right would go over the hook on the left.

2042362349_flippemplus2hookagainststandarddingham.jpg.8da77e8b6b8b97db885079e31e6e90d4.jpg

Now I have proved the system I will be putting the production etches for 7mm and 4mm together and getting them to the etchers asap.

If any one wants one of my 7mm pre-production etches to get them going I have one left? Otherwise I will be taking orders in a few weeks for an expected delivery mid to late February.

Marc 

• Like 3

On 06/01/2022 at 08:47, MarcD said:

The third photo shows the difference changing the hook height can have.  The coupling on the left is the plus 2mm "Flippem" and the one on the right is the "Dingham" the wagons are the same, our SDJR 5 planks, as you can see the loop on the left would pass over the hook on the right and likewise there no chance that the loop on the right would go over the hook on the left.

2042362349_flippemplus2hookagainststandarddingham.jpg.8da77e8b6b8b97db885079e31e6e90d4.jpg

Marc,

The plus two is interesting, but my problems are the reverse: the buffer beams on much of my stock is high compared to the standard height.

I'm eager to get a height gauge.  

The production artwork is now with the the etchers, for both the 4mm and 7mm versions. I should have the proof files back early next week and once thy have been inspected I will be taking orders for a mid February delivery. I have been told, by the etchers, that there will be a window of about 10days between the the proofs being approved and production starting for me to add to any order. Due to the current economic climate I will not be holding very much stock so please order in the window to avoid any delays.

Marc  

I should have added this 

4mm Prices will be 

4mm starter pack of hooks, loops and delay bars (22 sets) £12

4mm Standard and +1mm pack of hooks, loops and delay bars (22 sets) £12

4mm wide loops to be back fitted to Dingham couplings £8

4mm 3D printed Depth Gauge £7

4mm 3D printed buffer beam packing pieces £3

Marc

• Thanks 4

Hi Kevin,

they are listed at the top of the page but here they are as well

Prices will be 

7mm starter pack of hooks, loops and delay bars (22 sets) £25

7mm Standard and +1mm pack of hooks, loops and delay bars (22 sets) £25

7mm wide loops to be back fitted to Dingham couplings £15

7mm 3D printed Depth Gauge £10

7mm 3D printed buffer beam packing pieces £5

The starter packs contain 

8x long standard height hooks

8x short standard height hooks

4x long +1 hooks

4x short +1 hooks

4x long +2 hooks

4x short +2 hooks

4x long +3 hooks

4x short +3 hooks

2x long -1 hooks

2x short -1 hooks

22x delay bars

12x long loops (including a spare loop)

12x short loops. (including a spare loop)

The standard/+1 pack contains

24 sets of coupling evenly split between standard and +1

the spare loop pack contains 22 loops again evenly split.

This applies to both 4mm and 7mm versions.

Marc

Edited by MarcD
missed info

• RMweb Premium

Marc

I happy to order some but I can't find the order page. Can you point me in the relevant direction please?

I note that you are offering different hooks in the starter pack but they don't seem to be offered in either their own packs or in other non-starter packs. Is this true?

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Ray H said:

Marc

I happy to order some but I can't find the order page. Can you point me in the relevant direction please?

I note that you are offering different hooks in the starter pack but they don't seem to be offered in either their own packs or in other non-starter packs. Is this true?

It appears Marc will be adding a page to https://pregroupingrailways.com/ when he is ready to take orders.

I will be adding a new page dedicated to the couplings to the webpage once I’m in a position to take orders. I will be posting a video on our YouTube channel of the system being assembled and at work on the layout that they were developed for W.C. Boggs shorty.

Happy new Year

Marc

• 4 weeks later...

Just to let you all know I'm now taking orders for Flippems. The ordering page is now live. My initial order should be with me a week on Monday.  I have ordered a small amount for stock but as soon as that has gone I will have to place a second order which could take up to 6 weeks. Having said this I have until Monday morning to add to my initial order.

https://pregroupingrailways.com/flippem-automatic-coupling-system/

Marc

• Like 1