Display covers for cake box models

• RMweb Premium

I was having a bit of a clear out and found my cake box entry from a few years ago. Pondered should I dismantle it to re-use the models or put the whole thing on display somehow. Well, I splashed out on a custom-made cover from LasAcryl Limited, they are at http://www.acrylicdisplaycases.co.uk. So I can put the model out on display at home, and possibly get it to the occasional show:

DSCF2307.jpg.a3c45077250fe3fb54126942f891a2aa.jpg

My cover is 3 mm thick acrylic, LasAcryl do a 5 mm option but the 3 mm is probably right for a smallish case like this. I specified custom dimensions to give me about 0.5 to 1mm clear all round the base of my model (there is an error in the squareness of my base) but the cover arrived about another mm bigger width and depth and it drops over the model without the gap being too obvious.

DSCF2308.jpg.f27c402ec610bd15f8a816f0fde73c94.jpg

The cover seemed a bit of an extravagance when I ordered it (£48 including the delivery) but seems worthwhile now it has arrived. It is very well made. The cost ought to reduce if you could team up with friends or members of a club and put more than one cover on an order. I went for the ten day manufacturing and delivery option and the cover arrived after three days.

To my mind acrylic looks better than glass and the 90 degree bends happen to work with the style I aimed for in my model. I am sure there will be alternatives out there ... I found ready-made 8 inch cubes online but nothing 8 inches square but a bit shorter from top to bottom.

- Richard.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

That looks cracking - it enhances and protects the model.

I think I struck lucky because the two of the four limits at the top surface are curves not edges, and these curves sit well with the curve I put into the metal skyline on the model. It is funny though, the cover still wants to sit with its own curves running from left to right; if they go from front to back the effect is too strong.

- Richard.