Bachmann 009 Double Fairlie

AY Mod

• Moderators

BACHMANN NARROW GAUGE – OO9 SCALE

DOUBLE FAIRLIE SPECIFICATION

The Bachmann Narrow Gauge Double Fairlie locomotive follows in the footsteps of the award winning
Baldwin 10-12-D, Bachmann Narrow Gauge’s first OO9 scale locomotive which was released to great
acclaim in 2018. Synonymous with the Ffestiniog Railway, the Double Fairlie is an icon of the Narrow
Gauge world and this instantly recognisable locomotive is now available in OO9 scale for the first
time. The Bachmann Narrow Gauge model incorporates a high level of detail, with tooling designed
to accommodate the detail variants seen on the real locomotives in order to produce a model of the
highest fidelity, which is brought to life by the exquisite livery application that combines Ffestiniog
Railway-specification colours with authentic lining, crests and plates.

The precision moulded bodies are adorned with numerous individual components, including the real
brass handrails and the metal tank filler cap rings, along with fine mouldings for parts such as the steam
fountain, cab controls and tallow cups. The mechanism is similarly impressive with a twin shaft coreless
motor, fitted with twin flywheels, driving both bogies, all-wheel electrical pick up and separate metal
bearings fitted to each axle. Provision for DCC is a given and the model incorporates a Next18 DCC
decoder socket, easily accessed via a removable panel on the underside of the model, plus pre-fitted
speakers on all versions – or why not opt for a SOUND FITTED model and really bring your layout
to life.

MECHANISM:
 Coreless, twin shaft motor with two flywheels providing drive to both bogies
 Electrical pickup from all wheels
 Separate metal bearings fitted to each axle
 Diecast metal running plate
 Diecast metal chassis block and bogie towers
 Diecast metal gearboxes, with gearing arranged for prototypical running speeds and haulage capabilities
 9mm (OO9 narrow gauge) wheels to NEM310 standards with authentic profile and detailing
 Coupling pockets to NEM355 standards fitted to each bogie, into which a standard OO9 coupling hook assembly is fitted
 Designed to operate on curves of first radius (228.6mm) or greater

DETAILING:
 Highly detailed and decorated cab interior including separately fitted regulators and gauge frames
 Separately applied details including Tallow Cup Lubricators, Steam Fountain, Sand Pots with turned brass detail (where applicable), Smokebox Dart/Wheel, Vacuum Pipework (where applicable), Brass Handrails and metal Tank Filler Cap Rings.
 Each model supplied with a set of authentically decorated etched name plates

DCC:
 Next18 DCC decoder interface
 Easy-access DCC decoder socket located behind removable panel on underside of model

SOUND:
 Speaker installed in all models for optimum sound reproduction
 Zimo MX659N18 DCC Sound Decoder fitted to SOUND FITTED versions
 Sound files produced specifically for the Bachmann Narrow Gauge Double Fairlie using recordings from real locomotives
 SOUND FITTED models operate on DCC and Analogue control as supplied

LIVERY APPLICATION:
 Authentic liveries applied to all models
 Multiple paint applications employed on each model using Ffestiniog Railway specification colours
 Logos, numerals and text added as appropriate using multi-stage tampo printing incorporating authentic typefaces, logos, crests and colours

391-100 OO9 Ffestiniog Railway Double Fairlie 'Merddin Emrys' FR Lined Green £234.95

391-100SF-1.jpg391-100-6.jpg391-100-5.jpg391-100-4.jpg391-100-3.jpg391-100-2.jpg391-100-1.jpg

391-100SF OO9 Ffestiniog Railway Double Fairlie 'Merddin Emrys' FR Lined Green £334.95

391-100SF-6.jpg391-100SF-5.jpg391-100SF-4.jpg391-100SF-3.jpg391-100SF-2.jpg

391-102 OO9 Ffestiniog Railway Double Fairlie 'Earl of Merioneth’ FR Lined Green £234.95

391-102-5.jpg391-102-4.jpg391-102-3.jpg391-102-2.jpg391-102-1.jpg391-102-6.jpg

391-102SF OO9 Ffestiniog Railway Double Fairlie 'Earl of Merioneth’ FR Lined Green £334.95

391-102SF-6.jpg391-102SF-5.jpg391-102SF-4.jpg391-102SF-3.jpg391-102SF-2.jpg391-102SF-1.jpg

391-103 OO9 Ffestiniog Rly Double Fairlie 'Livingston Thompson' FR Lined Brick Red £234.95

391-103-6.jpg391-103-5.jpg391-103-4.jpg391-103-3.jpg391-103-2.jpg391-103-1.jpg

391-103SF OO9 Ffestiniog Rly Double Fairlie 'Livingston Thompson' FR Lined Brick Red £334.95

391-103SF-6.jpg391-103SF-5.jpg391-103SF-4.jpg391-103SF-3.jpg391-103SF-2.jpg391-103SF-1.jpg

• Like 8

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

@AY Mod - if you happen to be talking to Bachmann, please could you ask if they have the length over buffers for these?

They don't have buffers. ;)

I've got one in front of me right now and over the length of the couplings it's 123mm.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

• AY Mod pinned this topic

Absolutely stunning; Steve Purves' evident relief that these have now broken cover and will be on the shelves soon is great to see!  Fantastic addition to the 009 RTR stable. Well done to all concerned.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

They don't have buffers. ;)

I've got one in front of me right now and over the length of the couplings it's 123mm.

Doh, that is what I meant - I should know as I have done them up often enough at the L&B. Thanks Andy. Much appreciated.

Roy

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, cornelius said:

Not where I'd guessed they might go next in 009, but very glad they have!

The question now is where next do they go? Do they consider the Ladies for example? The L&B and Ffestiniog are two of the most popular narrow gauge railways and there are a good number of locos left to cover on the latter, even without straying onto the Welsh Highland.

Edit: rich pickings are there to be had, and the quality of the Baldwin was first rate and Andy's comments on the double Fairlies seem equally positive. Single Fairlie next?

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Like 1

Absolutely magic, this is what will tempt me into DCC 009! A pair of noisy doubles will anger my wallet, but I've been putting the odd few pennies aside for a while for these!

At least I can still get the entertainment on DC as well, so one (or two) can visit Scrayingham!

I will finish my Backwoods one eventually! But this might further delay that!

Now, where did I put those slate waggons?!

Cheers

J

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Phew, they'll fit in my run-round neck with about 5mm to spare!

Now... which one(s) to get!
Surprised that they've not done Merddin as currently running as I'd have thought that would be a massive seller. Maybe one for the next batch.

• RMweb Premium

I’d always thought of Fairlies (and the FR for that matter) as being a niche choice for a model but seeing these samples has changed my mind, they’re gorgeous!

I think the choice of variants and liveries for the initial release is very well thought out and I can imagine quite a few people having difficulty stopping at buying just the one as they look deliciously collectable to me. 

What a lovely potential Christmas present!

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, LittleRedTrain said:

Now... which one(s) to get!
Surprised that they've not done Merddin as currently running as I'd have thought that would be a massive seller. Maybe one for the next batch.

Good question

AFAIK the superstructures of all the FR Fairlies are subtly different in one form or another, although the power bogie is more or less standard under them all now making them more or less interchangeable.  Good to see the chop roof version offered as one of the first ones.  Not sure FR have done that since the preservation era. I doubt the crews would like it but would look fantastic withthe "curly roofed" van. 

Thanks for showing them Andy Y.  Brightened a gloomy day 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, E100 said:

Where does this leave Kato/Peco? Do we reckon they'll soldier on with their example.

John W from the FR shop replied to someone, saying it was already stopped, by saying that wasn’t true on NGRM. 

KATO will no doubt consider that decision now they’ve heard this but as of today it’s not changed according to John who’s been involved quietly I assume and they have the home market too. 

Very welcome especially as I’m part way through a module for the FR Englands. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Great news. The models in the photos above look superb so will have to decide which to order first

Glad I managed to get one of the limited edition Snappers Bar coaches from the WHR station at Caernarfon a couple of weeks ago, don't think they have many left.