Bachmann 009 Double Fairlie

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

What a beautiful loco.

Does the firebox rotate with the motor armature?

As to where they will go next ... how about motorised slate wagons to replicate the gravity trains?

Surely we just need gravity for that, and a powered horse to go back up the hill?

Roy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Showing out of stock for me already.

Roy

It does, tap on the picture of the loco option you want and you will be able to add it to the basket. It’s confusing but it’s out of stock, not arrived yet really, not sold out ;) 

I got befuddled by it with the 1P last year!

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It’s still available,

first screen is this, tap on the picture

8BEA29D0-990F-4033-99E1-906649FBD6D9.jpeg.2a7e87935aac144b1d06ebb38339bd86.jpeg

Then you get this bigger image with the multiple views, the basket is below the Bachmann NG logo underneath this  so scroll down. 
4C588C9A-8B12-434B-9E8E-0925CF07D509.jpeg.8be487d8555b5f5adfbfb9041bca97f2.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

34 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Showing out of stock for me already.

Roy

I suspect that's more 'hasn't come into stock yet' than out. It said the same for me, and I was able to order a pair (one for a friend, I'm not greedy!) And the money went from my account. So I suspect they are in the process of transferring stock records from storage to live.

Hope this helps

Cheers

J

It's fascinating to me that just 12 years ago, it was believed that the market simply wasn't there for an 009 Fairlie. Now we have two manufacturers doing several variants and plenty of interest. I'd be really curious to know what changed - did the market itself evolve, or were Roco simply making incorrect assumptions?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, HonestTom said:

did the market itself evolve, or were Roco simply making incorrect assumptions?

I think a bit of both, Roco decided it wasn’t worth the risk back then. Until the Peco collaboration with Heljan following the success of the Peco stock I don’t think anyone else with the purse strings was convinced either. From chatting to a couple of people I know who worked for Bachmann they were keen for several years but probably the perception of return for the investment was poor?
Bachmann turned a corner on that I guess with the Blue Pullman and the price increases that people so loved to moan about meant a better margin across all ranges so they can take more risks too. 
The increases wouldn’t solely be about margin but comparing to their Liliput range showed the disparity in pricing on items that were near identical in complexity. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, LittleRedTrain said:

Surprised that they've not done Merddin as currently running as I'd have thought that would be a massive seller. Maybe one for the next batch.

Merddin as currently running is somewhat larger than it used to be! In the 1970s, the FR ordered two new double-ended boilers from Hunslet for ME and the original Earl of Merioneth. Hunslet replied that they were no longer allowed to build boilers to that specification, but could build larger ones. ME was consequently rebuilt in a somewhat overscale form. EoM was instead cosmetically restored (including some of the cast-off parts from ME) and sent to York as 'Livingston Thompson', whilst the remaining new boiler was used in the new Earl.

• Informative/Useful 3

Putting aside any slight disappointment with the Farish announcements (albeit 03 and 04 with new DCC chassis isn't too shabby compared to the last three quarters I guess) I have to say that this Double Fairlie blew me away, what an absolutely mind-blowingly beautiful model, fair play to Bachmann and a massive "well done" from me.

Roy

• Like 1

17 hours ago, E100 said:

Where does this leave Kato/Peco? Do we reckon they'll soldier on with their example.

The Bachmann version looks stunning, but if the Peco/Kato version still goes ahead it is likely to be just as good and probably around 2/3rds the price.

I find it curious that Bachman have followed two different release strategies for OO9- the ‘early announcement and incremental progress updates’ model for the quarry hunsletts, and the ‘rabbit out of the hat’ approach for the double Fairlie. They resisted the urge to make the announcement when Kato did theirs, as Hornby did with their Lion, and instead waited until models were a month away from hitting the shops. 

All they really need is a glossy finish and footplate crew- they look a little odd with no-one on the tiny footplate!

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, ovbulleid said:

I find it curious that Bachman have followed two different release strategies for OO9- the ‘early announcement and incremental progress updates’ model for the quarry hunsletts, and the ‘rabbit out of the hat’ approach for the double Fairlie. They resisted the urge to make the announcement when Kato did theirs, as Hornby did with their Lion, and instead waited until models were a month away from hitting the shops. 

All they really need is a glossy finish and footplate crew- they look a little odd with no-one on the tiny footplate!

Isn't is just that the quarry Hunsletts preceded the new way of announcing items?

Best regards,

Roy

• Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, bingley hall said:

The Bachmann version looks stunning, but if the Peco/Kato version still goes ahead it is likely to be just as good and probably around 2/3rds the price.

I admire your faith in Peco/Kato, but given what we've seen of the George Englands I'm not so sure. Outwardly they are lovely looking little things, but the use of generic tooling for both locos, traction tyres and no DCC socket make me Fairlie (sorry) sceptical that their Double Fairlies will be anywhere near the quality of these ones. It is possible they will be competitive price wise but quality/detail wise I highly doubt it. I will still be buying the Englands but I'm definitely not blind to the flaws the models have.

And on the price front I can't see them being that much less than the Bachmann ones. Double Fairlies are complex locos and that is going to translate very quickly into tooling and manufacture costs. Considering the complexity of the prototype and the fact each model seems to have unique tooling, the fact Bachmann are charging £235 RRP (£199 at most retailers) I think is actually pretty good.

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

2 hours ago, Obsidian Quarry said:

I admire your faith in Peco/Kato, but given what we've seen of the George Englands I'm not so sure. Outwardly they are lovely looking little things, but the use of generic tooling for both locos, traction tyres and no DCC socket make me Fairlie (sorry) sceptical that their Double Fairlies will be anywhere near the quality of these ones. It is possible they will be competitive price wise but quality/detail wise I highly doubt it. I will still be buying the Englands but I'm definitely not blind to the flaws the models have.

As I'd guess around 50% of layouts are analogue controlled (based on what I've seen at shows and in model magazines), there may be a significant proportion of purchasers who are quite happy to buy one without a DCC socket, especially if it knocks a little off the price.

• Agree 2