Model Rail Scotland 2022

arran

Thanks to others. particularly 70000 Britannia Andy Haytor and MikeB, for moving the discussion on about whether or not exhibitors, traders etc. will be required to provide the same proof of Covid status as those paying to attend will.  Unfortunately still no information on this from the AMRSS, although they now seem to appreciate the need for authoritive responses.

I've looked at the current guidelines for event organisers at the link in the message below. 

On 24/01/2022 at 23:20, Craig Watson said:

To clarify on previous posts.

The rules being followed at the event will be the current (at the time of the show) Scottish Government guidelines and will be implemented by SEC staff on entry to the venue buildings.

An overview of the current guidelines for event organisers can be found below.

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-certification-scheme-businesses-event-organisers/pages/overview/

We will also be keeping the Model Rail Scotland website updated with the most up to date info on the requirements for entry for our visitors.

https://modelrail-scotland.co.uk/

The information Arran has posted regarding exhibitors comes from the above government guidance, our exhibitors will all be issued with guidelines about their responsibilities at the event.

Craig (on behalf of the organising team).

This unfortunately doesn't seem to be clear about the requirements for the sort of situation that this exhibition provides, i.e. where exhibitors, traders and AMRSS volunteers can also be, effectively, regular attendees.  I also couldn't see anything about such people being classed as "contractors", as was claimed.

I assume that the SEC will be complying with the spirit of this statement at the start of the overview in this guidance (my highlighting):

"This guidance explains how the COVID Certification Scheme works. It also provides guidance for premises and event organisers to help them operate a reasonable system for checking that individuals on their premises are either:

• fully vaccinated or
  • have tested negative for COVID-19 virus in last 24 hours or
  • are exempt"

Obviously the AMRSS has no control over whether or not the SEC requires this of people working for it, e.g. security staff, ticket sellers, first aiders etc.  I would though contend that the AMRSS could require this of exhibitors, traders and other volunteers, even if the SEC doesn't require this.  As others indicated an exhibitor etc. when looking around the exhibition is then, effectively, no different from paying visitors.

With regard to the statement provided on behalf of the AMRSS (linked below) I would make two comments:

1. What is or is not discussed on this forum is presumably for the moderators and owners of this forum to determine, not the AMRSS.  If there is information provided by someone seemingly speaking on behalf of the AMRSS that raises queries, in this case that some effectively attending the event as visitors, e.g. exhibitors on a break, will not need to provide proof of vaccination, then that is something that seems to me to be appropriate to query on here; and

2. I hope that the AMRSS are now clearer that any responses about this sort of matter need to clearly indicated as an official statement from them

On 25/01/2022 at 14:54, Craig Watson said:

I've been asked to post the below on behalf of Ian Porteous, the Model Rail Scotland exhibition manager.

All matters relating to the ongoing public health emergency is a constantly changing situation for event organisers such as ourselves.

Discussion of such matters on public forums is less than constructive for organisers, visitors and exhibitors as it creates an environment where mixed messages can be given some of which could be out of date or not applicable to the Scottish version of the rules.

The best way for anyone who is planning to attend the event as a visitor, is to visit the Model Rail Scotland website where the up to date rules are posted along with the link to the SEC website where details on how they will be managing matters is also given.

Anyone who is participating as an exhibitor i.e. working on a layout or a trade stand will receive the up to date rules on what is applicable to exhibitors via the online Exhibitor Information system which will be issued to them on or about the 5th of February.

Model Rail Scotland is one the first major non- commercially organised exhibitions to take place in the UK since the relaxation of rules occurred back in August 2020 which has been an eventual journey for myself and the team.

I would ask that any forum members who intend to come along as visitors and those who will be involved in the event as exhibitors check the situation relating to their status in the manner outlined above.

Regards

Ian Porteous

Exhibition Manager

Model Rail Scotland

Finally, with regard to the following message about acceptance of a negative lateral flow test, the AMRSS information doesn't yet reflect their acceptance.  I'm sure it will soon.  However, could I suggest that the link to the venue for the definitive requirements be the page for the SEC itself, i.e. this one:

https://www.sec.co.uk/visitor-information/covid-19-customer-update

not the current one, which is for the The OVO Hydro on the same campus.

7 hours ago, Bruced said:

Hi there, we are sorry for the confusion but as of tonight our website will mirror the SEC one and Negative lateral flows will be accepted for entry as per Sg current guidelines. 

Model Rail Scotland Management team

I appreciate that this is all effectively new and that the AMRSS are guinea pigs.  However, on that basis I would it is in their interests to maximise the number of people paying to attend.  If that means, for example, providing reassurance to those paying that those exhibiting etc. are required to demonstrate their Covid status in the same way as those paying then that seems a simple thing to be clear on.  I'll await the further update on or about the 5th of February.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Administrators
6 hours ago, 26power said:

What is or is not discussed on this forum is presumably for the moderators and owners of this forum to determine, not the AMRSS.  If there is information provided by someone seemingly speaking on behalf of the AMRSS that raises queries, in this case that some effectively attending the event as visitors, e.g. exhibitors on a break, will not need to provide proof of vaccination, then that is something that seems to me to be appropriate to query on here; and

You also need to remember that AMRSS are busy putting a show together and won't have a hoard of people to deal with live dicsussions on social media.

They have said the official position will be on the website, and so that's where you have to go for that information.

This is a changing situation, and many of the rules are not within the control of the organisers. Even in normal times, by now they would be very, very busy on the final details of the event. Keeping on top of the website information is the best we can reasonably expect them to do.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 3

• RMweb Premium

As a basic though, if you require visitors to have Covid passports or proof of vaccination , wouldn’t you expect this of exhibitors, traders and stewards who will be directly in contact with the public .If I’m speaking at close quarters to someone I want to know he/she has been as rigorous as I have.   I can appreciate that the rules are changing and may say something else , but surely it has to be the same for all otherwise Covid safety is compromised. 

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Members of the organising committee are meeting with the SEC at the venue today to discuss the arrangements for the show, the members attending are well aware of the issues raised in the posts above and will be seeking further guidance from the SEC as they ultimately decide what we do in the hall.

Further to that there is a meeting of the organising committee tomorrow to go over all aspects of where we are with the show, one which has been organised in the strangest of circumstances with hundreds of hours of work done when we weren't even certain that we'd be allowed to put on the exhibition, and given that the show is still four weeks away the guidance and rules may change further before then.

One of the exhibition committee will provide an update to this thread in the next few days.

Thanks

Craig

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Legend said:

As a basic though, if you require visitors to have Covid passports or proof of vaccination , wouldn’t you expect this of exhibitors, traders and stewards who will be directly in contact with the public .If I’m speaking at close quarters to someone I want to know he/she has been as rigorous as I have.   I can appreciate that the rules are changing and may say something else , but surely it has to be the same for all otherwise Covid safety is compromised. 

I am sure that exhibitors, traders etc. will have to comply with the same rules as visitors, possibly even tighter with LFD tests being required every day before attending.  The position in Scotland is changing all the time and what applies now will probably be different from what will apply  in 3 weeks time.  The SECC will set the requirements for exhibitors and visitors etc, based on the Scottish Government's advice at the time.  As a visitor, I will check the SECC's website before attending but I am sure that exhibitors etc. will be informed of what they have to do before arriving at the SECC.

Give the organizers a rest, they have a lot more important jobs to do apart from responding to enquiries about precautions which will probably be out of date before the show.

Regards

Roddy

Sorry, started before I saw Craig's post above.

Edited by Roddy Angus
Update
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

4 Weeks today and counting...

Extract of layout attending Model Rail Scotland 2022 - we still have a few changes on the go just now so will keep you posted.

With so many first appearance and first appearance at Mode Rail Scotland its certainly a fun and exciting day (or weekend) out 

Advance tickets available from our website or pay at the door

image.png.153651bd9144a90dc28e8bff0f0cee64.png

image.png.62f49768874cf98d179496585153699b.png

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

The acceptable level of risk is a very personal thing, including Covid.  However I have to say that the responses of the AMRSS "representatives" and associated quotes from the committee do not fill me full of confidence that they are taking a suitably conservative view on everyones safety.  Just saying "we're following SEC and government guidelines" isn't enough for me.  I want to know they are applying best practice to ensure my safety and well being.  If AMRSS wish to be more restrictive than the stated requirements then I am sure the official bodies won't complain!

Different rules for layout operatives and traders to those required for attendees doesn't make sense and isn't justifiable IMHO.

Edited by 55020
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, 55020 said:

The acceptable level of risk is a very personal thing, including Covid.  However I have to say that the responses of the AMRSS "representatives" and associated quotes from the committee do not fill me full of confidence that they are taking a suitably conservative view on everyones safety.  Just saying "we're following SEC and government guidelines" isn't enough for me.  I want to know they are applying best practice to ensure my safety and well being.

Different rules for layout operatives and traders to those required for attendees doesn't make sense and isn't justifiable IMHO.

as you say, the acceptable level of risk is a personal thing. That applies to all we do as individuals. 

you go on to say that they do not fill you with confidence that they are taking a ‘suitably conservatives’ view on safety. That is simply projecting your risk appetite. 

to project my own view of risk appetite - I think that the organisers are doing precisely the right thing, which is to match the standard required by the SECC - after all they are the experts on putting in events of this scale, and much larger - eg COP 26 as recently as November. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm happy with the level of restrictions being applied - and the event is still 4 weeks away when the regulations may have changed. 

It will be no more risk than say, travelling on a train or visiting a busy supermarket. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

The counter problem is that apply to strict restrictions above and beyond the eternally moving goalpost that is Government guidelines and you could drive people away, after all that has gone on, they need people through the door in as many numbers as possible.  If a visitor chooses to add additional protections such as their own personal masks, own choice of sanitiser, etc, etc then they are of course welcome to do so.

The organisers are rather stuck between a rock and a hard place.  You cannot satisfy everyone at the same time and the continually shifting Government guidance doesn't help either.

I wish them well, if I were closer I would be a visitor without hesitation, as it is, I have Ally Pally to look forward to - I hope!!

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

My club, Glasgow & West of Scotland MRC, will be exhibiting our OO Gauge BR steam and green diesels layout Phoenix Lane at the show again this year. I have posted a few pictures below but if you want a much better idea of what the layout looks like when operating at a show look no further than a really excellent video posted on YouTube by    dcc125

In the YouTube search box type in Model Rail Scotland 2020 Part 3 and, when you search, his video should be the first hit. Coverage of our layout begins at 8 minutes 54 seconds and lasts for 12 minutes. We would love to know what you think of it.

TRMQ3890.JPG

JXGO5473.JPG

IMG_1500.JPG

IMG_1484.JPG

IMG_1490.JPG

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 25/01/2022 at 14:14, TEAMYAKIMA said:

May I ask if anyone is planning to make a YOUTUBE style video at Glasgow? My layout has appeared in several YOUTUBE videos over the years and as I/we have made so many changes/improvements during lockdown that I would really appreciate there being an updated video so that I can send a link out to exhibition managers.

If anyone reading this is planning to make a YOUTUBE style video at Glasgow please do speak to us at the time or even send me a PM now and we will happily change things around for you so as to maximise the impact.

Many thanks

Paul

Paul.

One of our club members makes videos at exhibitions, I'll PM you with his email.  If he is going I'm sure he'd be happy to video your layout.

Search for Heritage and Model Rail on You Tube for his channel.

Calum 

HI All

ST Andrews Station in N will be at Modelrail this year , The other half is Guardbridge and will be in the Modeller in March .

This essentially the first outing of the layout finished and hopefully with Working signals . one of these jobs that would never have been done if we hadn't had a forced holiday .

Regards Arran

ST ANdrews.jpg

• Like 4

Now that under 22s have free bus travel in Scotland - We are please to announce that this is not just for under 22s..... everyone is eligible traveling to Model Rail Scotland to use our free vintage bus services.

Time tables are below  - there are separate timetables for each day - so please check carefully on the day you plan to use the service. 

image.png.d5bdbf5d9e747b735f32f5154868b036.png

• Like 8

On 29/01/2022 at 14:24, Waverley47708 said:

Paul.

One of our club members makes videos at exhibitions, I'll PM you with his email.  If he is going I'm sure he'd be happy to video your layout.

Search for Heritage and Model Rail on You Tube for his channel.

Calum 

Edited by dcc125

On 25/01/2022 at 14:14, TEAMYAKIMA said:

May I ask if anyone is planning to make a YOUTUBE style video at Glasgow? My layout has appeared in several YOUTUBE videos over the years and as I/we have made so many changes/improvements during lockdown that I would really appreciate there being an updated video so that I can send a link out to exhibition managers.

If anyone reading this is planning to make a YOUTUBE style video at Glasgow please do speak to us at the time or even send me a PM now and we will happily change things around for you so as to maximise the impact.

Many thanks

Paul

Hi Paul,

I should be in attendance at this years event and planning to make some videos for my YouTube channel dcc125.

Which layout will you be exhibiting as I will stop by and do some filming?

Thanks 

Jason

31 minutes ago, dcc125 said:

Hi Paul,

I should be in attendance at this years event and planning to make some videos for my YouTube channel dcc125.

Which layout will you be exhibiting as I will stop by and do some filming?

Thanks 

Jason

Hello Jason

My layout is BEIJIAO - the best Chinese HO exhibition layout in the the country. Mind you, it's also the worst Chinese HO layout in the country, because AFAIK it's the ONLY Chinese HO layout in the country.

If you speak to us we can set up a series of unique features for you, such as our 19 coach passenger train with fully detailed interiors and illumination - just ask any of our operators.

Thanks

Paul

• Like 3

On 02/02/2022 at 15:24, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Hello Jason

My layout is BEIJIAO - the best Chinese HO exhibition layout in the the country. Mind you, it's also the worst Chinese HO layout in the country, because AFAIK it's the ONLY Chinese HO layout in the country.

If you speak to us we can set up a series of unique features for you, such as our 19 coach passenger train with fully detailed interiors and illumination - just ask any of our operators.

Thanks

Paul

Thanks Paul, I filmed BEIJIAO at the Warley show back in 2019 and added it to my YouTube channel, so will be good to see the changes made over the last few years. Thanks Jason

• Like 1

Perth Model Railway Group are looking forward to taking our Coeur d'Alene layout.

Coeur d’Alene Railway is an O scale narrow gauge model, set in the state of Idaho, USA in the 1930s. It depicts how a line might have been built to serve the Coeur d’Alene Lake area, via a depot at the small town of Rockford Bay, incorporating a ferry terminal with tugboat and barge. Although fairly remote, the area has some mining activities, and a coal loading facility is included.

Goods shed & barge.jpg

Climax arriving on log train.jpg

Edited by Waverley47708
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium
On 28/01/2022 at 22:08, 55020 said:

The acceptable level of risk is a very personal thing, including Covid.  However I have to say that the responses of the AMRSS "representatives" and associated quotes from the committee do not fill me full of confidence that they are taking a suitably conservative view on everyones safety.  Just saying "we're following SEC and government guidelines" isn't enough for me.  I want to know they are applying best practice to ensure my safety and well being.  If AMRSS wish to be more restrictive than the stated requirements then I am sure the official bodies won't complain!

I am surprised none of the exhibition organisers have posted an update yet, but as a member of one of the clubs which is exhibiting I received an e-mail update yesterday from our club secretary that ALL persons attending the show, INCLUDING exhibitors and stewards will now be required by the SECC to exhibit a Covid passport, either as a QR code or a printout, or evidence of a negative test within the previous 24 hours.   Checks will be made at the east and west entances to the SECC and not inside the SECC at the entrance to the hall in which the show is being held.   Masks must be worn at all times within the SECC unless medically exempt.  Perhaps one of the organisers would be able to confirm whether this information is correct.

Edited by cessna152towser
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I have received the same information from the AMRSS Secretary and have circulated to all of our club members.  Further details will apparently be provided later.  However, everyone coming into the building will have their COVID-19 status checked on the Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

I suspect that the checks by the SEC may only be on the days that Model Rail Scotland is open to the public and that the SEC won't be checking the status of those involved with the set up, which is perhaps where any confusion or misunderstanding could have arisen (ie the reference to contractors).  Traders and exhibitors may be able to drive into the hall on the Thursday without QR codes being checked, but we are still awaiting clarification of the set-up details, so I can't confirm that.  That may be why the organisers have not yet made an announcement in this thread.

The main thing is, that the exhibition is progressing and many people are looking forward to attending.  It will be the first major event I've been to since Model Rail Scotland 2020.  The layout that we're bringing is currently being tested in the club room, just to make sure that we all remember how to operate it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2