tools ,jigs and others useful ideas

I started this thread/topic because there are loads of useful tips etc scattered about on rmweb which seem to get lost in the jungle of posts and I'm hoping you all post links and then at least things can be found a bit easier

so I'll start the ball rolling

I got one of the cheaper magnifier head bands a bit ago (one with glass lenses) I find it the best solution now I have to wear glasses(like a lot of us)  having tried other options like cheap reading glasses ,jewellers loupes etc

but the one thing I didn't like was the way it has to be strapped to the head and can be uncomfortable after a bit of use 

so I got a hard hat harness made by MSA from arco as I live in hull and fitted it to the magnifier .The back of the harness just slotted into the magnifier and then a little fixing at the front and it all holds together .

I find it a lot better b the harness is easier to adjust and the lower part grabs the back of the head better .now means I can wear it for a couple of hours with no problems  

IMG_20211118_152422.jpg

Edited by heavymetalwagons
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

hi all thanks for the likes etc. 

found this useful thread on here  Quality tools for beginner - Modelling musings & miscellany - RMweb

also while on here someone posted a link to this tool supplier (bit expansive but gives us idea's then look on ebay etc for cheaper versions)  

While looking on there what about this for your soldering !! PUK 5.1 Welder with 10 x Microscope, Argon regulator and Tack Welding kit (bettsmetalsales.com)

I like to watch the repair shop and there was a jewellery making show on channel 4 (i think) for tips and tool idea's .the chap with 20 plus pairs of pliers !! and I thought I was bad??

I did see him using a lazor engraver and thought that could be a useful tool for brass wagon sides etc (more research to be done) ,but one tip that I haven't  tried yet (but wishes I had after spending half an hour looking for a wagon door banger that pinged away) was a apron that goes round the neck then attaches to the work bench to collect the gold fillings etc (don't forget your wearing it and get up for a cup of tea !!).

I tend to go round car boot sales and pick up good tools cheap like files any with a makers name or country on  seem to be good quality. The sellers look at me with surprise when I quickly give them £1 for a "old file".

The track making group say use the biggest file you can as its supposed  to be a better job.

For soldering jigs I've got some good ply (think its used for lorry trailer floors or for concrete shuttering and is dark brown in colour) its lasts a lot longer than soft wood as its got resin glue in it .Use jigsaw  blades to cut it as it "kills" tools though ! but seams to survive a 450 degree soldering .