Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Mel "Knightwing" Munday

Northmoor

• RMweb Premium

Very belatedly, I learned today that Mel Munday, "Chairman Mel" of Knightwing International, passed away earlier this year. A visit to their website confirmed this and the short message says that as a result it appears they are not taking orders until further notice.

Sadly I hadn't spoken to him for about ten years, but actually got to know Mel nearly 25 years ago in the early days of the AC Locomotive Group.  Through the company, he bought 85101 to help keep the collection of the four Old Ladies together, and 85101 stands with them at Barrow Hill Roundhouse thanks to his involvement.  His passion for preserving trains and buses always came across, as did his enthusiasm for creating the models under the Knightwing name.

RIP Mel and my condolences to all the Knightwing family.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

That's sad news.  I have known Mel for years, First met him in his little shop in Huddersfield, where he showed me his real Scammel Scarab which had been restored, Phil Holman was his shop assistant before he moved to Scotland.

Mel was a nutter for transport, owning 85101, a Tram (bought when the West Yorkshire Transport Museum closed down) he was always trying to set something up in Kirklees Area (Huddersfield) years back, but it never happened.

He was just a brilliant guy, funny but blunt.'A True Yorkshire Man'  I loved his sense of humour and his positive 'Can do' approach'.  This is one guy I would love to meet again 'Somewhere'

The local paper says:

Model shop Something Wicked, in Wood Street, Huddersfield, will bring down the shutters in January after the sad passing of owner Melvin Munday, aged 74.

Melvin, who was involved with Huddersfield's old transport rallies, had a love of trains and transport and first opened his shop in 1984.  He worked alongside his partner Carol Harrison, who he had been with since the 1970s, and two staff members, Chris and David.

The Something Wicked team became a close-knit work family with the shortest length of service in the shop coming in at 17 years.

Charlie

Mel.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4