Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Quirky Poll 2021

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
On 25/12/2021 at 01:48, acg5324 said:

It would have to be Volks for me, a Brightonian….and my Dad worked on it as a driver after he took redundancy from Southdown / BH&D.

Brighton MRC built a 1/43 scale model of part of it. The layout was donated to Brighton Museum and is probably languishing in their storeroom.

And what an incredibly interesting layout it was to operate - not...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

And what an incredibly interesting layout it was to operate - not...

I think that’s why we donated it to the museum.  Not as much fun as the layout with the working water wheel , name escapes me, with real water that we used to add a bit of washing up liquid to on the last day of shows.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

22 hours ago, crackedmember said:

Are you referring to the Micheline railcars, there have been HO scale models of these.  Marklin  / Hamo  produce RTR a very similar type 11, and a static version by Atlas.  The type 20, which was licence built by Coventry Engineering, was produced as a static model by Atlas.

Clive

G'Day Folks

Don't think it was the 'Micheline' one, it was this one the RoRo type, see below.

Would make a nice novelty/railbus !

manna

1932-v153-p474.jpg

• Agree 1

On 25/12/2021 at 11:39, Nick Lawson said:

complete with matching inspection saloon of course!

I have suggested to someone at Locomotion that Aerolite and the S&D "Old Gentlemans Sallon" of Railway Children appearance should be released as a pack... 

But getting the idea coverage and for people to show interest would be great. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 28/12/2021 at 00:17, crackedmember said:

Are you referring to the Micheline railcars, there have been HO scale models of these.  Marklin  / Hamo  produce RTR a very similar type 11, and a static version by Atlas.  The type 20, which was licence built by Coventry Engineering, was produced as a static model by Atlas.

Clive

The Michelin railcar which was demonstrated on the GWR and LMS was a railway vehicle with rubber tyres unlike the Karrier vehicle which was a road-rail machine.  However the Michelin car would definitely be quirky model!

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrwm421.htm

• Like 1

I've a suggestion that's not on the list so I cant vote for it, not extra quirky but still an oddity that might have a chance of selling if someone was to actually make it.

How about the 0-4-0 Sentinal shunters (BR nos 47190/1) used on the Somerset & Dorset at Radstock in the 50s and early 60s.  This might sell quite well as I've always had the impression that anything that ran on the S&D sells. (I'm sure there were others elsewhere too).

And, there's even another one currently restored and in use at Midsomer Norton that could be photo'd and measured, though as its not one of the above 2 there are probably some differences.  Yes I know there has been the odd kit, but lots don't want to solder something up. 

I expect Brian's (hello Brian) now going to tell me it's been on the main wish list for ages !

One other thing, I know lots of celebrities are railway/model railway enthusiasts, Pete Waterman and Rod Stewart come to mind, but I never realised the ELO frontman was one of us, let alone be on the wish list poll team !  (from the list on page 1 of this topic).

Peter

• RMweb Gold

Hello Peter

Good to hear from you.

Indeed, the Sentinels were in (what was) 'the main Poll'.

This is how they fared (but note that the Poll didn't run in 2017):

2013 - Low Polling

2014 - Low Polling

2015 - Low Polling

2016 - Middle Polling

2018 - High Polling

2019 - High Polling

I can put them on the agenda for 2022 though.

All the best

Brian (on behalf of The Quirky Poll Team)

Hey Ho!

Whilst I voted early on for a streamlined B17, I finally convinced myself that a Pearson 4-2-4 BG well tank with that huge flangeless driving wheel would be an excellent quirky choice.  Of course, to keep it company, the Harrison "Hurricane" needs to be chosen too!

Thinking on, the Pearson might be best powered in the manner of a B0-B0 diesel. Keeping the drivers in contact with the rails on curves and over points might be a bit problematic... :scratchhead:

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
  • AY Mod locked this topic
  • AY Mod unpinned this topic