Seller now asking for extra dollars for shipping.

wairoa

I just bought a  Fleischmann ICE off of ebay. I paid for the item and shipping costs right away. 3 days later the seller asked for an extra 23 euros for shipping from France. From what I have read that is not ebay policy. Anyway I asked to cancel the order. Am I in the right here. I think I am. If the seller does not cancel the order is he then obligated to ship me the item?

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, wairoa said:

I just bought a  Fleischmann ICE off of ebay. I paid for the item and shipping costs right away. 3 days later the seller asked for an extra 23 euros for shipping from France. From what I have read that is not ebay policy. Anyway I asked to cancel the order. Am I in the right here. I think I am. If the seller does not cancel the order is he then obligated to ship me the item?

Report him to ebay. That way either they will tell you he is justified or cancel the sale.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I agree with Olddudders and Chris.   A price and shipping costs was included in your bid or buy-it-now and seller should must honour transaction or be reported to eBay.  I once had a seller who told me I need to pay his Paypal fees before he would post.  I refused and threatened to report him to eBay. The item was then sent with no extra charges.

Thanks for the responses. I decided I would first give him a chance to cancel and refund my money or he can send it to me at the original price. I have not heard back from him yet. I will give some time to respond. If I hear nothing from him I will report him to ebay.

• Like 1

After several back and forth emails with the seller he agreed to send the ICE next week. I had to show him the cost of shipping in the listing. I also showed him a link on ebay where it says the seller cannot charge more for shipping after the listing is over. Finally I threatened to report him to ebay if he did not either cancel the sale or post the item.  Hopefully he sticks to his word and posts the train. 

Here is the link below to ebays position on shipping charges. Perhaps somebody may find it useful. 

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/shipping-items/shipping-rates/updating-shipping-options?id=4170

Shipping charge increases

"Once someone’s bought your item, you can’t update the shipping charges from what was originally shown on the listing unless the buyer wants to pay for combined shipping for multiple items or asks for express delivery and is willing to pay for the service."

Edited by wairoa
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just to give a bit of a conclusion to this ebay purchase, today I received the ICE. I left the seller positive feedback as he did a great job packing, Hornby could learn from him, the item was well described and I received the item 4 days earlier than expected. 

Edited by wairoa
  • Like 4
  • Round of applause 2