KMRC announce new production of their Exclusive YCV Turbot Bogie Ballast Wagon in weathered ‘Dutch’ livery - available now.

Kernow MRC

The Kernow Model Rail Centre have announced that a third production batch of their popular, previously sold out, KMRC Exclusive YCV Turbot Bogie Ballast Wagons are available now with all new numbers in weathered ‘Dutch’ livery.

1034796417_120924KMRCSB006P_1.jpg.f02b86ecb12345139be78a3c1bc415ff.jpg

British Rail found itself with a large fleet of young but under-used Bogie Bolster E wagons in the 1970s, 1200 of the type having been built in 1961 and 1962 but proving too short to be useful for steel traffic. As the engineers’ fleet at the time was varied and elderly, it was decided to rebuild some of these Bogie Bolsters as ballast wagons.

A low-sided body was constructed, the sides being fabricated with three drop-side doors. The fixed ends had an angled plate fitted on top to prevent loads from spilling on to the draw-gear. Livery was civil engineers grey, with the top third of the sides in yellow. The type was coded YCV and titled Turbot, continuing the tradition of naming engineers’ wagons after fish.
Turbots could be seen either singly or in rakes in most parts of the country throughout the 1980s.  By the 1990s, the vehicle's age and the availability of more modern replacements triggered the start of withdrawals

369268629_120924KMRCSB006O_1.jpg.04f4b0da5b38309e649e56757d8d029e.jpg

This third KMRC exclusive production run compromises of four versions, in weathered Dutch livery, as follows and are  available now:

SB006O YCV Turbot Bogie Ballast Wagon Number DB978022
SB006P YCV Turbot Bogie Ballast Wagon Number DB978052
SB006Q YCV Turbot Bogie Ballast Wagon Number DB978067
SB006R YCV Turbot Bogie Ballast Wagon Number DB978102

204273923_120924KMRCSB006Q_1.jpg.a81b400eb51a0f116356b70e2b4b7857.jpg

Graham Muspratt, Development Manager, advised: “Our previous two production batches of the YCV Turbot Bogie Ballast Wagons have been sold out for a while, with the ‘Dutch’ liveried weathered versions being extremely popular, so this new batch with new running numbers we hope will be as equally popular.”

1585713423_120924KMRCSB006R_1.jpg.3984d96c0ea901b67524400b2b68fb44.jpg

More information can be found on our dedicated webpage here https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/pg/161/KMRC-Wagon---YCV-Turbot 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I bought two of these before Christmas and they are a great disappointment. The weathering is grossly overdone as the picture, I think, shows. The centre panels on the picture shows its condition after I had a go at it  the outer panels are still in the 'as received ' state.

I don't think it will be possible to do a decent job on them unless I strip off every trace of paint and go again. The Parkside kits would have been a better idea.

20211229_142435.jpg

I think they look very good on the sides - the ends don't look like they have been touched. If you wanted them in as new or nearly new then they were produced like that. These are much more like they were after 10 or more years of being abused https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brturbot/e19e460b6

Look at the state of this  https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brturbot/e1546f0bd Hardly any were ever repainted - the EWS ones were a special use. 

Paul

• Agree 2

Once the Turbots had been in traffic a while the side doors very quickly got knocked about, bent and dented. It would be difficult to replicate that simply by weathering.

Wagons used on the boulder traffic to Minehead on the West Somerset Railway were particularly roughly treated during unloading, several were so bent they became out of gauge and were red-carded. This explains the presence of some of the wagons still on the WSR as EWS considered it was not worth repairing them so they were withdrawn and sold.

cheers

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...