Horse drawn carts, wagons, vans and busses in 4mm/ft. OO/HO gauge

Hi All,

From looking at old photographs, it appeals that street scenes and railway goods yards of the Victorian, Edwardian and interwar years had a large quantity of horse drawn commercial vehicles. 

Is there any readily available suppliers of horse drawn vehicles in 4mm/1ft, 1:72, 1:76, OO/HO?

I have the Slaters 4A23 Horse Drawn Goods Delivery Dray which is a good kit but seems hard to get hold of. 

The Dart Castings range looks good.

Are there any others that are suitable and reasonably priced to fill out a busy yard scene?

• RMweb Gold

Langley have a good range.- https://www.langleymodels.co.uk/awd1/index.php?route=product/category&path=190_191_200 - They also have a good selection of horses that you can buy individually.

If you want to have something a bit different look at some of the 20mm or 1/76th / 1/72nd wargaming ranges. WD models of Bangor have one or two highly detailed cast resin WW1 wagons. (There is another WD models so ensure you look for Bangor.) They also sell horses separately and wagon/limber wheels. On the subject of wagon wheels, Scale Model Scenery do packs with two sizes of wheel and also a useful pack of laser cut wagon springs. These are handy if you want to build something no-one makes and could make a lower price option.

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Agree 1

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Looks like most of the manufacturers have been covered, not much on shapeways, I did think….  Airfix Waggon Train, that has a covered wagon and horses, lots of people if you are after that Wild West look?  Then I discovered how rare they are and what value they now sell for (well, are advertised for).  

I have just looked at the figures in the set, I have to smile, the horses are in an action pose (not sure if that’s walking, trotting, cantering, I’m not brave enough to say for fear of the QI elephant) but 2 of the figures are seated on boxes and 2 are relaxing, lying down.

seriously, a couple of the characters not carrying guns could easily be suitable for a Victorian scene (same period different continent) 

Andy

There are a few other suppliers around. Scalelink do three rather nice etched brass kits, whilst Osborns sell a range of laser cut wagons etc, very similar to the Ancerton ones noted earlier. It is also useful to know that, within the Dart Castings’ range, Shire Scenes have a number of etched brass road vehicles, some matching the Dart white metal casting versions.