Liverpool and Manchester 'Lion'

rapidoandy

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

We have every confidence, do we not, that Rapido's model will be as accurate as the compromises of 00 permit.

I have little doubt about the model based on the Stirling Single’d example 😉

Or did you mean that we don't know the 1920s restoration is an accurate reconstruction of the locomotive's original (or near original) condition?

My understanding is that we can be confident that it is not accurate; we know that some parts are not as originally built but not exactly in what way they differ!

Ok we know Lion was rebuilt in 1841 ish so it’s not ‘original’ and major changes were made but it was still a L&M loco. 

Those changes were carried through to the loco restored in the 1930’s and we know the condition it entered ‘preservation’ in and roughly what was added but we have no way of knowing what they based those restored parts on. 
So how do we ‘know’ those restorations were accurate or inaccurate? They could be let’s work with what we think looks good or they could be based on the old boys in the workshop memories who worked on or saw similar locos at the end of their lives in the 1880’s as apprentices 😉

So we don’t know what the restorations were based on. They might have assumed or known the boiler wasn’t original and had some now lost drawing of an 0-4-2 with the original boiler and firebox and based it on the true original form.

So Lion may be a stretched interpretation of its original form or it’s rebuilt form with a false firebox cover. Either is possible and the known new parts may or may not be accurate, we don’t know so all we can say is it’s accurate for the last 90 years.

• Like 2

Or we could just rename the loco to Triggers Broom. When all is said and done aren’t all locos at the end of the day very much in the vein of Triggers Broom.

Long live Trotters Independent Traders. Peckham is close to Hatcham works is it not.

Keith

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

One significant difference between early locomotives - up to around the 1870s/80s I think - and the majority of preserved locomotives on heritage lines is that their boilers were made if iron rather than steel and thus were much longer-lived. Hence the identity of a locomotive could as much sit with its boiler than, say, motion (which I think is the identifier for most locomotives from the late 19th century onwards). Admittedly Lion was reboilered early on (to increase steaming capacity?) but it seems to have been the boiler that was the key element that survived.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KeithHC said:

Or we could just rename the loco to Triggers Broom. When all is said and done aren’t all locos at the end of the day very much in the vein of Triggers Broom.

Long live Trotters Independent Traders. Peckham is close to Hatcham works is it not.

Keith

Just five minutes walk from where I live !!!

Long live England !

All the best

Ray

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PenrithBeacon said:

AFAIK this is the best illustration of the class of engine Lion belonged to. What you make of it depends on whether your glass is half full or empty. 

If ever Rapido got round to doing a model based on this drawing I'd be content. 

20220417_111009.jpg

I did drop them a message asking if the tooling would allow for a different firebox but I guess it got lost. Even making the top a separate piece to allow for replacing it with an aftermarket alternative would be great. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BroadLeaves said:

I'm certainly in that camp. It's a total "magpie" * purchase for me. And let's face it, if we all waited for an RTR locomotive (or any rolling stock for that matter) that was completely accurate, well... ... we'd never buy anything.

* Oooh look - it's shiny!

That said, an A4 is quite hard to produce, streamlined front etc, and not all of the models produced are 100% bang on. For example: Hatton's model.

Liverpool and Manchester Railway 'Lion' with replica stock, makes her way from Southport to Bold Colliery on 18th May 1980, a transfer move in readiness for the 'Rocket 150' celebrations at Rainhill that year

image.png.9161faedd84d87d0940d584b3f6aa14e.png

image.png.d405d0717f88cb18f2a01a6d89ee74cd.png

Brit15

• Like 11

4 hours ago, KeithHC said:

Paint it yellow as well. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Yes the rebuilt post 1841 look which would be possible with an alternative top. Going for the 1837-41 loco , potentially like this in you post below, would require a shorter chassis too. Plus how many would accept “ based on” with the longer chassis? 🤨

3 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

20220417_111009.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

AFAIK this is the best illustration of the class of engine Lion belonged to. What you make of it depends on whether your glass is half full or empty. 

If ever Rapido got round to doing a model based on this drawing I'd be content. 

20220417_111009.jpg

8 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Although a similar shape, the firebox on the recovered Lion in the photograph is significantly higher than that the original seen in the illustration of Samson.  

That begs the question whether the Rapido motor gubbins will take up the space afforded by the high haystack firebox, defeating any attempt to represent the Samson type firebox? 

• Like 1

Hmmm...

Just read this  https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/news/first-look-at-rapido-trains-uks-lion/ and it highlights something interesting. It says that there's a six pin connector between the locomotive and the tender, which is shown in the photos. It then goes on to say that the decoder socket and speaker are in the tender. So, that means that you only need four connections from locomotive to tender; two for pickups and two for the motor.

So what are the other two for? Firebox glow? A second speaker? Lights? Smoke generator?

Lion is Lincoln's Axe at this point.   Thrice rebuilt, at least, and likely entirely new now.   If the model is accurate to Titfield, we should be kosher.  Other colors are a production necessity to recoup the cost of tooling.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Rapido have posted this on their Facebook page here. Text and image below for those who don't use Facebook:

297757655_469973995112295_34539367689423

Did you know that since ‘Lion’ was rescued and restored it has undergone a number of physical and cosmetic changes?

During its spells of operation since 1930 the engine has had different styles of pressure gauge, additional tool boxes, exposed tender springs, modified coal spaces and additional safety chains fitted (to name a few).

However the most noticeable difference is the livery. In 1930 the engine carried a different look with a different shade of green and red brown frames. No colour images survive of this livery but after extensive research and speaking to recognised experts we now have the most accurate information available to create the look.

Our models will feature all of the relevant physical and livery details to create the perfect 1930s or 1980s ‘Lion’.

The orderbook closes on September 1st - order yours today!

• Like 6

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Schooner said:

Just gonna leave this here...

1500px-Stephenson_0-4-2.jpg&w=1920&q=50

...in case Rapido wanted to do something with the Lion chassis to make us pre-Groupers sit up...

:)

We did the discussion on that on pages 13-14 of the other thread, linked below 😉

I did ask in the other thread if the firebox ‘dome’ was a separate piece to allow her earlier guise  to be done but it wasn’t picked up so far. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 14/10/2022 at 20:33, PaulRhB said:

We did the discussion on that on pages 13-14 of the other thread, linked below 😉

Ah, very good, thanks for the reminder!

I suppose my point was more that as-is Lion only really suits a '30s pageant, '50s film set or '80s tourist trap*. More applications than many RTR models, granted, but perhaps leaving the potential of an excellent chassis and mechanism** unfulfilled.

*Bravery pants held up with belt and braces today.

**https://youtu.be/YofVCPdyeew

Given some stockists refer to both Lion and Tiger, and in light of the other lot announcing their Tiger, I wonder if Rapido might comment on the future prospects for their first foray into early Victoriana?

Edited by Schooner
Sp.
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...