The Siphon G, by Accurascale - From Milk To Mail!

• RMweb Gold

One of the things that ensures a good return for the RTR guys is a uniformity of work. As soon as you start doing more of one thing than everything else it creates disruption to the smooth flow of the primary product. Old bogies like the ones Bachmann sell as spares are one-piece mouldings, those made to current RTR standards are usually more complex. They certainly aren't going to be a fiver a pair!  

There's a big difference between accumulating a bin full of assorted spares at the end of the production line, and turning out things like pairs of bogies to be retailed separately. The latter involves an extra packaging process at the very least. There is also an unspoken assumption that spare (assembled) RTR bogies would be cheaper than metal bogie kits; if it didn't turn out that way, would that change their desirability?

There are several sources of GWR coach bogie kits (many included with the kit). Those should fit a lot more conveniently to a metal coach than ones designed for a plastic model which may well need modification to steps etc. which will have been made to suit the RTR model. In any case, when it comes to constructing coach kits, assembling the bogies has always been one of the easier stages in my experience. 

Looking at it in the longer term, though, kit-build coaches weigh (on average) at least double what their RTR counterparts do. Putting that load through bogies that aren't designed to handle it would inevitably limit their durability.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
removal of excess word
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 18/12/2021 at 16:59, The Stationmaster said:

They don't appear in either the summer or winter 1941 programme which suggests to me that they were probably only booked to run when needed by Notice.

The 'Rabbiter' does appear in the 1943 summer WTT (dated May 3rd UFN). It is indeed marked RR & runs empty: Taunton dep 3.20pm, arr South Molton 4.40. Dep SM 5.45, arr Taunton 8.05. It stops at all stations, typically for about 8 mins except Dulverton where 19 mins are allowed, & East Anstey where 20 mins are allowed - but this does not I think indicate massive quantities of rabbits to be loaded at EA  but more the need to wait the arrival of the 5.35 from Taunton!

• Informative/Useful 2

On 18/12/2021 at 15:11, Pteremy said:

The 'Rabbiter' ran on the Barnstaple -Taunton line between 1940 and 1954 (Huxtable v3, p593), initially from Barnstaple Victoria but by the mid 1940's from South Molton. No-one seems to have photographed the train but it is described as normally comprising 'two bogie parcels vans', thought to be Siphons. The train picked up hampers/crates of rabbits at most stations on route. These were then sent on to Birmingham and London from Taunton.  

You're right about the lack of photos of this train I'm afraid - it is one of my 'holy grail' Barnstaple line photos that I've been hoping to discover for decades! In 2009 I wrote to Roger Venning, the doyen of Taunton photographers of the 1940s, asking if he had ever photographed it.  Sadly he hadn't - in the 1940s he was a teenager & had to be home by 7pm to do his homework! He actually asserts that 'seeing anything of the South Molton rabbit traffic was far & few between & no photos of the train were ever taken by any of us spotters at that time'. :( He did send me a photo by his friend the late Pursey Short (whose photos he'd inherited) of a parcels van  (something like a K40 I think) being loaded with crates of rabbits at Temple Meads on 5th November 1950. It was taken at 5.40pm so is an evening shot.  The caption on the back reads: 'Loading rabbits into a luggage van, bound for London market'. Roger said that Pursey surmised that they had arrived from Taunton on the train he had travelled on - he was on his way back to Portsmouth (where he worked) after a w/e with his parents in Taunton.  5/11/1950 was a Sunday so they couldn't have come from a Barnstaple line train.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, ChrisMitchell said:

All that detail on the bogies isn’t going to make rewheeling to EM or P4 straightforward.

Chris

And yet, they’ve been engineered so that the opportunity is there for you, should you so wish Chris. After all, if it’s straightforward, is it really modelling?

• Like 3

One quick question:

I have a Collett K42 BG and a GW design P24 Monster which will both require accurate Pressed Steel parcels stock bogies that would also be fitted under M.34, O.33 and O.62 siphons (shorter spring length than on passenger stock).

Would you be willing to make your bogies available as a separate item?

BTW I will be replacing my Lima siphons with your offering.

Edited by Flood

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, David Bigcheeseplant said:

Looking at the underframe I don't see how the brakes will work with this linkage rod, I am sure its not there on the prototype, as each vacuum cylinder and lever only works on one bogie linking them with this rod would cause one lot of brakes to go on and the other end to come off.

siphon.jpg

You are quite correct David, and it was one of the tooling changes we fed back to the factory at the time we received the Engineering Samples. One of those occasions which only come to light once the EPs have been received which, after all, is the whole point of having those samples. The final samples will have this error corrected (though not the decorated samples, because many of the parts from the first EP are used to create the decoration samples). Fortunately it was an easy fix.

Best wishes,

Paul.

Edited by Islesy
  • Like 12

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

SPECIAL DELIVERY - SIPHON G DECORATED SAMPLES AND UPDATE!

GROUP_05.jpeg.ec328f6caa776d6c333862c00bcb6e08.jpeg

Hi everyone, 

Following on from our Enparts Accurascale Exclusives announcement a couple of weeks ago, we can reveal the rest of our Siphon G decorated samples.

Tooling improvements, colour tweaks and further corrections, as well as a delivery update and more can be found in our latest blog update: https://www.accurascale.com/blogs/news/special-delivery-decorated-siphon-g-bogie-van-samples-arrive 

W2780_B.jpeg.d2c3c5de1a7213ed7abc510e46ae2e0e.jpeg

W1047_D.jpeg.60dd86524fdc5bd447cee1004a48ba76.jpeg

Ambulance_A.jpeg.8950950964b43f87fff61de028cca3e8.jpeg

Pre-order yours via your local stockist, or direct £54.95 each with 10% off when you buy two or more with free UK and Ireland P&P and our easy payment terms at no extra cost: https://www.accurascale.com/collections/siphon-g 

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 19

21 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

SPECIAL DELIVERY - SIPHON G DECORATED SAMPLES AND UPDATE!

GROUP_05.jpeg.ec328f6caa776d6c333862c00bcb6e08.jpeg

Hi everyone, 

Following on from our Enparts Accurascale Exclusives announcement a couple of weeks ago, we can reveal the rest of our Siphon G decorated samples.

Tooling improvements, colour tweaks and further corrections, as well as a delivery update and more can be found in our latest blog update: https://www.accurascale.com/blogs/news/special-delivery-decorated-siphon-g-bogie-van-samples-arrive 

W2780_B.jpeg.d2c3c5de1a7213ed7abc510e46ae2e0e.jpeg

W1047_D.jpeg.60dd86524fdc5bd447cee1004a48ba76.jpeg

Ambulance_A.jpeg.8950950964b43f87fff61de028cca3e8.jpeg

Pre-order yours via your local stockist, or direct £54.95 each with 10% off when you buy two or more with free UK and Ireland P&P and our easy payment terms at no extra cost: https://www.accurascale.com/collections/siphon-g 

Cheers!

Fran 

One issue that jumps out to me is the tie bar/axle box retainers which look to be too low.

I have raised the issue of the pipe position along the solebar earlier in the thread so there is no need to repeat that discussion.

Otherwise looking stunning!

Mark

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Mark said:

One issue that jumps out to me is the tie bar/axle box retainers which look to be too low.

Genuine question, where do you think they should be then Mark? Do you have measurements or photographs that might show where we are wrong, as according to my measurements and drawings, they look good to me?