The Siphon G, by Accurascale - From Milk To Mail!

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

It might be that the tooling either doesn't exist, or is incompatible with modern moulding machines. Were any of the rolling stock from the Lima range re-issued after Hornby taking them over?

Mark 1 CCT springs to mind. 

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

It might be that the tooling either doesn't exist, or is incompatible with modern moulding machines. Were any of the rolling stock from the Lima range re-issued after Hornby taking them over?

The Mk1 GUV, super GUV and CCT and I think some of the Mk3 family; the TGS and sleeper certainly. I'm not sure if the old Lima ballast hoppers also reappeared or whether they were a new tool or a bit of a hash of the Lima model being reworked.

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

@Accurascale Fran

Evening Fran. Two blue ones for us please. What a cracking announcement! Are we safe to assume any blue liveried vans that do not mention a TOPs code in the description are correctly branded for the 1966 - 73 period please? 

Cheers

Phil

Phil,

At that time Swindon were repainting vehicles, especially Siphons, at a very rapid rate when livery changes came in so i would be surprised if there were any Wr allocated Siphons that were still in any livery other than blue by the end of that period.

One point to note however is that most of the Siphons were in News workings by 1971 although a few were still in use for other traffics (certainly the case as far as booked vans from Paddington were concerned).  There was incidentally a regular working from Paddington to Cheltenham in 1971 but I don't know the back working.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Of the ex-Lima NPCCS, both BR vans have been made by Hornby, and both have since been done better by  Bachmann.

Despite several runs of the ex-Airfix outside frame Siphons, Hornby have never produced the inside frame Siphon or the ex-LMS 42' GUV, under their branding,  which rather begs a question as to whether they ever received the moulds.

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Zunnan said:

The Mk1 GUV, super GUV and CCT and I think some of the Mk3 family; the TGS and sleeper certainly. I'm not sure if the old Lima ballast hoppers also reappeared or whether they were a new tool or a bit of a hash of the Lima model being reworked.

Hornby did produce some of the ex-Lima ballast hoppers before making their newer ones. None of the the moulds were shared or modified, the later Hornby types were from all-new tooling.

John

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Phil,

At that time Swindon were repainting vehicles, especially Siphons, at a very rapid rate when livery changes came in so i would be surprised if there were any Wr allocated Siphons that were still in any livery other than blue by the end of that period.

One point to note however is that most of the Siphons were in News workings by 1971 although a few were still in use for other traffics (certainly the case as far as booked vans from Paddington were concerned).  There was incidentally a regular working from Paddington to Cheltenham in 1971 but I don't know the back working.

Many thanks Mike . You have kindly quoted the formation of 1B01 Padd to Worcester papers as 3 x GUV BG 3 x GUV ….. would those be BR GUVs or might a siphon have appeared? Too early in the morning for me to have seen it!!!!

Looking like an M34 W2767 and an 062 W1023 for us. Certainly remember seeing the ENPARTS vans … which we don’t have yet … in 5B73 Malago Vale vans

Cheers

Phil

I understand the issues that have caused the Deltic to be late but it might help sales of all Accurascale products if the banner that appears at the top when I view this thread

image.png.3455b9955257f65ed027a8e1614fc980.png

was updated

Edited by MyRule1
spelling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, MyRule1 said:

I understand the issues that have caused the Deltic to be late but it might help sales of all Accurascale products if the banner that appears at the top when I view this thread

image.png.3455b9955257f65ed027a8e1614fc980.png

was updated

I assume that was not meant for the Syphon thread?

Roy

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

so red-ended Siphons were probably rather few in number !!?!

I have found some references (which is why we have body coloured and black ended examples in the first run), but there is an interesting anomaly with the Siphons that makes them out as being treated slightly differently to other stock. As a [very] rough rule of thumb, it seems that those Siphons engaged in CET and Ambulance Train duty received body coloured ends when they returned to GWR traffic, whereas the remainder retained black ends. Now there are exceptions, as ever, but it was interesting to note...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

Super GUV's were, along with  br cct's and standard  GUV.

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

It's an unfortunate fact that there are zillions of threads with anticipated dates in their titles - or just the word 'NEW' or 'xyz introduce' - which can soon get overtaken by events ...................... and seem totally meaningless umpteen years later !

I assume that is actually a banner advert, which is appearing here because of the thread title?

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, Islesy said:

I have found some references (which is why we have body coloured and black ended examples in the first run), but there is an interesting anomaly with the Siphons that makes them out as being treated slightly differently to other stock. As a [very] rough rule of thumb, it seems that those Siphons engaged in CET and Ambulance Train duty received body coloured ends when they returned to GWR traffic, whereas the remainder retained black ends. Now there are exceptions, as ever, but it was interesting to note...

That’s good to know, I’d have ended up painting the ends on the M39 black when I respray the blue release into GWR 

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Many thanks Mike . You have kindly quoted the formation of 1B01 Padd to Worcester papers as 3 x GUV BG 3 x GUV ….. would those be BR GUVs or might a siphon have appeared? Too early in the morning for me to have seen it!!!!

Looking like an M34 W2767 and an 062 W1023 for us. Certainly remember seeing the ENPARTS vans … which we don’t have yet … in 5B73 Malago Vale vans

Cheers

Phil

It was a Siphon on Saturdays Phil - don't ask me why as it was one of those oddities which seemed to happen and don't make any sense at all when looked at in the light of the number of Siphons booked in traffic from Paddington each night.

In the last few years of swindon Works the Malago Vans was renowned fotr the number of hot boxes which occurred on it - always on ex-works vehicles from Swindon.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I notice in the announcement you mention examples from July 1930 onwards, are there more pics to come as I can't see anything from the first Lot (2051-70) with the deep trussing and 7' bogies?

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I can understand the siphons being cascaded onto newspaper duties once the milk etc traffic had ceased, but newspapers were not new traffic.  This raises the question of what was being used before that - assorted older 4/6 wheelers that would presumably be more  restricted as to speed?

Looking at the 1946/7 carriage workings

the12:15am Paddington Penzance newspaper was

siphon g mx

full brake mx

siphon g mx

Siphon  g mo

Sleeper first

sleeper first SO

60ft full brake

Siphon G (2930/2978). With trestle  tables and steam heat 

slip

brake van (kingswear)

I think a shortened version this will probably be where my two Accurascale models end up

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2