Announcement: Bristol Model Railway Exhibition

SteveCole

• RMweb Gold

Quite funny seeing everyone's perception of where the West of England is/starts ......or might not start/finishes.......or maybe doesn't finish/might be or then again might or might not be.....

Easy for us Welsh, we just go to England to visit the exhibition. 

I think you lot are over complicating things. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

22 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Quite funny seeing everyone's perception of where the West of England is/starts ......or might not start/finishes.......or maybe doesn't finish/might be or then again might or might not be.....

Easy for us Welsh, we just go to England to visit the exhibition. 

I think you lot are over complicating things. 

Rob. 

Ah, you go to the east of Wales.

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Ah, you go to the east of Wales.

No, we go to England. 

As I say, you lot are over complicating things. 

Back to the exhibition itself, as this is really what its all about, for me there are a few must see layouts. In no particular order

Dobris. 

Canada Street

Lindon Road

Sidmouth

Norge sounds like a bit of fun. 

Trader wise, 

Titfield Thunderbolt will definately get a visit as I have a few, ahem....'needs'.......

It should be a good couple of weeks with the SWAG meet the weekend before. 

Rob. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

And how about Little England beyond Wales?

Anyway, if those Saxons had not messed things up, there would be no England, just Celtic lands.

And everyone knows that the North starts at Hatfield (or Watford if you are on the other road).

Hat, coat . . . 

Jonathan

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

OK, I see what you are all doing now.

It's not obsessing over geographical detail, or even simple incontinent wittering, it is in fact a really clever and subtle remembering of one of the great layouts from the Bristol show.

I refer, of course, to North Gwent Modellers (oh Gawd, I'm doing it now) magnificent "Long Suffren", the title of which is supremely well evoked by recent posts.

Very well done......

• Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Huw Griffiths said:

I don't.

I live in what used to be Gwent - so very close to the border with Engl*nd ... .

(Not that you'd know it if you're trying to get anywhere by public transport.)

Arguably it was in England until 1974.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

My final comment on the subject as I only managed to visit the Bristol show once, when it was in the city centre.

When I mentioned the discussion about "the west" to my wife she pointed out that Cumbria is really the west of England.

Jonathan

PS You have mentioned a good few layouts I have enjoyed at other venues. It was nice to be reminded of them. And some that I never managed to see.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

And of course, you know what they did for us.

So what did they do for us?

Left us to over complicate things. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Not Jeremy said:

OK, I see what you are all doing now.

It's not obsessing over geographical detail, or even simple incontinent wittering, it is in fact a really clever and subtle remembering of one of the great layouts from the Bristol show.

I refer, of course, to North Gwent Modellers (oh Gawd, I'm doing it now) magnificent "Long Suffren", the title of which is supremely well evoked by recent posts.

Very well done......

On a positive, there will be so many still pondering where the West of England is, it should be relatively quiet at the show for those of us who do know where it is..........

Rob. 

• Funny 5

11 minutes ago, Welchester said:

Arguably it was in England until 1974.

And the county town of Monmouthshire used to be Monmouth, not Newport.   

Until it was hi-jacked by the taffia - nobody asked the locals whether they considered themselves English or Welsh, there's a good proportion of the population, albeit probably now a minority, who don't consider themselves Welsh, and certainly don't want the language rammed down their throats, it now being compulsory in the schools.

When I lived there I was sometimes accused of being Welsh on account of my middle name being Griffith, though that was actually my (Scottish) gran's maiden name.

On 29/01/2022 at 20:19, Captain Kernow said:

Well expressed, Andy!

I always think of the 'West Country' as being 'cream tea country', so probably mostly Devon and Cornwall, plus a bit of Somerset (think Cogload Jct westwards).

I think of the 'South West' as being the peninsula, so probably starting just outside Bristol (probably around Bedminster or Parson Street, just around the corner from the chip shop) and proceeding south-westwards as far as Lands End in an orderly manner.

The 'West of England' to me is a broader, larger area, probably Swindon and west thereof and Gloucester and south-west thereof.

It's very simple. The West of England is where the GWR main line goes to before it turns south west after Bristol and heads for the South West. The London and South West Railway is also a bit of a clue though I definitely regard Southampton as the South of England  

I still tend to see regions in terms of BBC broadcast regions (which were partly defined by TV transmitter coverage and which region they were assigned to)  so South, based in Southampton,  had as its editorial patch a triangle with its points at about Weymouth (barely) ,  Newhaven (at a pinch Seaford but Eastbourne was definitely South East) and Reading includng the IofW.  (It now includes almost the whole of Oxfordshire up to about Chipping Norton which seems a bit odd) West was (is) based in Bristol and South West in Plymouth so i suppose I'd regard the South West as starting somewhere between Taunton and Exeter. I think Salisbury is west rather than SW though the BBC thinks it's South (I once did South Today's  Christmas special from there)    

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

If you go by the BBC local news areas, only Devon and Cornwall are in the South West.

Dorset is in the South, and Somerset in the West.....

I've always considered those four counties to constitute the West Country proper, but sympathise with the argument for Salisbury and that portion of Wiltshire to the west of it being included.

John

• Friendly/supportive 1

This is all getting very complicated.

If I head to the Bristol show I am heading south west, the good captain is travelling north east and people in Wales are heading abroad; the only people heading to the west are those in London and anyone leaving Russia or North Korea.

No-one is asking the important questions - will there be ice cream and will there be Farish Mk1s on sale.

Whilst we're asking questions unrelated really to the show, can anyone tell me why this penguin spent 2 months sat on it's derrier in a pool of what comes out of penguins behinds for nearly 60 days, didn't lay an egg and then yesterday just decided it had had enough, took a walk, had a bath and is now walking about again like all the other penguins.

image.png.b78b807306f5a4df1cfe89a46cf4c31b.png

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Whilst we're asking questions unrelated really to the show, can anyone tell me why this penguin spent 2 months sat on it's derrier in a pool of what comes out of penguins behinds for nearly 60 days, didn't lay an egg and then yesterday just decided it had had enough, took a walk, had a bath and is now walking about again like all the other penguins.

image.png.b78b807306f5a4df1cfe89a46cf4c31b.png

That all sounds very technical, poor thing.

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Dorset is in the South, and Somerset in the West

Whatever else we all may or may not decide about where the boundary of the South West of England Country starts or finishes, as far as I am concerned, Tiverton is where the Grim Industrial North begins.

That is, of course, entirely separately in geographical argument terms from where the South West Country of England may or may not start.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

Just now, Captain Kernow said:

That all sounds very technical, poor thing.

I know!  When I spotted it moving I thought perhaps an egg was arriving, but it limped to the water and dove in.

When your day revolves around regularly checking in on a group of penguins thousands of miles away, perhaps it is time to visit a railway exhibition or two.

• Friendly/supportive 1

40 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

If you go by the BBC local news areas, only Devon and Cornwall are in the South West.

Dorset is in the South, and Somerset in the West.....

I've always considered those four counties to constitute the West Country proper, but sympathise with the argument for Salisbury and that portion of Wiltshire to the west of it being included.

John

Dorset was kicked out of the South West when it introduced the Black Death to England, they didn't want to be associated with things that come from the south.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Captain Kernow said:

That is, of course, entirely separately in geographical argument terms from where the South West Country of England may or may not start.

As an expert on such things I can confirm the West Country starts as I cross the bridge on the M5 at Avonmouth.:dance_mini:

• Like 1