Announcement: Bristol Model Railway Exhibition

SteveCole

• RMweb Gold

I can only apologise if I caused offence with my wording - that definitely was not my intention.

I'm generally rather fussy about my choice of words - I usually get them "more or less" right - and then, being a bit of a perfectionist, I worry that I might have made a mistake somewhere.

However, as suggested in an earlier post, right now, I've got a lot of DIY to deal with - and, for various reasons, I'm also rather stressed (I'd prefer not to go into too much detail why). I'm not looking for sympathy - just setting things out as they are at present. In all honesty, though, if my mind seems to be on another planet, this is probably only to be expected.

Anyway, back to the trains ... .

• Friendly/supportive 2

I am delighted to announce that my layout BEIJIAO - INDUSTRIAL CHINA IN THE 21ST CENTURY has been invited to the 2022 exhibition. 

Back in 2018 the Bristol was our first exhibition. Indeed, as the layout is far too big to set up at home, it was our very first operating session. Yes, we had been able to hire a local church hall and test everything, but we had never had a seven hour continuous operating session! Here is a photo from back then ...................

DSC_0184.JPG.6c59cc80350af5c4e4724f66146e733c.JPG

Needless to say, there have been significant changes/improvements since then and we welcome the opportunity to bring you the new BEIJIAO.v2. One of our unique features now is the 11 car loaded coal train which enters the yard of the industrial railway at the back of the layout with one 2-8-2 at its head. Chinese industrial railways are nothing like what we are used to in the UK and this line links coal mines, off scene to the left, with a steelworks, off scene to the right, up a 1/30 grade. So, two more 2-8-2 bankers are added and the 11 cars and three locos storm off the layout up the incline. The locos now have sound and make an impressive display.

And just in case you think that set up is a model railway compromise because of limited space, here is the inspiration for that part of the layout. This is a video of the Chengde industrial railway's banking station taken by me in 1997. This is very rare footage, because those tall buildings in the background are a Chinese prison and Westerners taking videos were guaranteed to meet the local police.

See you at Bristol!

• Like 8

2 hours ago, stevegr said:

Myself I always go to the railway station to catch a railway.......:imsohappy:

Similarly, perhaps you go to an airport to catch some air!

Logically, those people who use the term 'train station' should also use the term 'plane port'.  After all, they go to a plane port to catch a plane!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Bonafide said:

Similarly, perhaps you go to an airport to catch some air!

Logically, those people who use the term 'train station' should also use the term 'plane port'.  After all, they go to a plane port to catch a plane!

I might be wrong here - but I thought that boats are sometimes known as "craft", which you might find at a port.

As for "air craft", I wonder where you might encounter some of these ... ?

Anyway, some people might reckon that the joke's now starting to wear a bit thin. Let's get back to the trains ... .

• Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Back in 2018 the Bristol was our first exhibition.

DSC_0184.JPG.6c59cc80350af5c4e4724f66146e733c.JPG

Hopefully I will be there again leaning on the rail so that the back of my head can get into more pictures! :)

Edited by Jules
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/12/2021 at 16:36, woodenhead said:

A positive vote for physical exhibitions given where we are right now which sees any larger January/early Feb exhibition either cancelled or at risk.

Might need a bus shuttle from Parkway for those travelling some distance

There are lots of people who will travel long distance, by train, to get to the big exhibitions.  So it seems a little mean spirited not to lay on a shuttle bus.  Even for local visitors, not everyone has access to a car.  I'm not sure what buses are like to Thornbury, but knowing Bristol, probably pretty diabolical.

The old city centre exhibition centre used to be a good venue.  It seemed very spacious after the Victoria Rooms, and it was easy to get to on public transport.  Plus, it was next to a huge car park in Canon's Marsh, for visitors and exhibitors with cars.  But the car park and exhibition centre are now gone.  And Bristol, like a lot of cities, seems to be doing its very best to keep cars away from the central area.  (This is probably a guilty reaction to the policy of the sixties and seventies, when so many buildings were demolished for new roads and car parks.)

York is (or was, and hopefully will be) a good compromise.  Great show, great catering, easy to get to from all points of the compass, and with a big car park.  And also in a city with lots of other stuff to see.

All that said, good luck to the new organisers of the Bristol show.  Hope they can have a good one this year.

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Camperdown said:

There are lots of people who will travel long distance, by train, to get to the big exhibitions. 

I go to many shows by rail I would not drive to and will take happily take a bus at the other end if necessary....a shuttle would be preferable and I don't think there is a quick way from Parkway to Thornbury by public transport...but I stand to be corrected.....it does sometimes backfire...I spent a long time at the 16mm show waiting for a bus one year but I'd do it again.

4 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

I go to many shows by rail I would not drive to and will take happily take a bus at the other end if necessary....a shuttle would be preferable and I don't think there is a quick way from Parkway to Thornbury by public transport...but I stand to be corrected.....it does sometimes backfire...I spent a long time at the 16mm show waiting for a bus one year but I'd do it again.

Google maps says you walk about a mile from Parkway to Great Stoke, then take the "T1 South Glos Lynx" to the leisure centre.  21 minutes / 23 stops.  So it can be done.  Probably need to allow another 40 minutes for getting lost / waiting for the bus, etc.  So hardly convenient.

• Moderators
41 minutes ago, Camperdown said:

So it seems a little mean spirited not to lay on a shuttle bus

No-one has said there won't be. There'll be several things that need looking into.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

8 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

No-one has said there won't be. There'll be several things that need looking into.

OK, good that a shuttle (as at other big exhibitions) might be under consideration.  I misunderstood previous posters who said that there was once a shuttle from Parkway but it had been discontinued.  The exhibition website says, essentially, watch this space, so I assume the new organisers are still working on what might be possible for 2022.

• RMweb Gold

Some "shuttle" thoughts.

• I suspect the new arrangements will make the show more attractive and so visitor numbers will be up...the provision of a shuttle link will probably therefore be both popular and more justifiable.
  • Its worth noting that Parkway seems to get a lot of " rail replacement" Sundays so that may not be such a good day for a shuttle depending on planned engineering - it is a bank holiday weekend.  At the moment it is a "train" day.....

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/detailed/gb-nr:BPW/2022-05-01/0900-1600?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

• The show is also usually open on the Friday afternoon which may be more difficult if its a  vintage bus offered by a preservation group..

Chris

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

If this has had to happen to keep the show going then that’s fine. Personally I would rather exhibitions were organised by clubs rather than commercial organisations. As an exhibitor I am only too happy to give up my weekend for the good of a club and fellow modellers. I’m not so happy about working all weekend in order to help a limited company to make a profit. Is this exhibition  mainly  for the good of the hobby or is it now primarily to help provide a profit for Warners? As Warners is a well run business this takeover of organising the show must surely be to make a profit for Warners. I’m not saying it is wrong, just a bit of a shame. Maybe the cost of putting on a show together with the workload involved organising a  big show is just too much for a club these days. Despite sounding a little negative I will say it’s better for a show to carry on than to cease and wish all the best to the partnership.

• Like 1

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, Chris M said:

Maybe the cost of putting on a show together with the workload involved organising a  big show is just too much for a club these days. Despite sounding a little negative I will say it’s better for a show to carry on than to cease and wish all the best to the partnership.

The first statement is relevant and, please, also bear in mind that the approach came from the Association rather than the other way around which puts the inferred criticism into context. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Why let the facts get in the way of a good whinge?

Mike.

PS. How do I get there from the airport?!

Edited by Enterprisingwestern

No inferred criticism, more a lament that times are changing. Model railway exhibitions do take a lot of time and effort to organise and they usually require significant funding up front. I'm sure there are many clubs that, after two years without show income, will struggle to find the funds to put on a 2022 show. I also recognise that the majority of club members are getting to an age where they haven't got the energy they used to have which makes finding the right people to organise a show much more difficult. I am very happy for Warners to be a successful business and I am happy that the show will go on which it might not have done without Warners, I would prefer shows to be put on by clubs because then all profits go to the organising club and many club run shows have their own unique character which makes them interesting. I do recognise the difficulties of putting on a large show and of course times change. I also know that Warners group has a lot of experience of exhibitions and will put on a professionally run show. This might well make for a better show overall albeit with less local character.

So, no criticism, just an old codger trying to cope with change.

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Chris M said:

I'm sure there are many clubs that, after two years without show income, will struggle to find the funds to put on a 2022 show.

There are also clubs who will struggle to pay the rent for their clubrooms without exhibition income and / or a substantial increase in subscriptions which could then mean a reduced membership.

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Chris M said:

No inferred criticism, more a lament that times are changing. Model railway exhibitions do take a lot of time and effort to organise and they usually require significant funding up front. I'm sure there are many clubs that, after two years without show income, will struggle to find the funds to put on a 2022 show. I also recognise that the majority of club members are getting to an age where they haven't got the energy they used to have which makes finding the right people to organise a show much more difficult. I am very happy for Warners to be a successful business and I am happy that the show will go on which it might not have done without Warners, I would prefer shows to be put on by clubs because then all profits go to the organising club and many club run shows have their own unique character which makes them interesting. I do recognise the difficulties of putting on a large show and of course times change. I also know that Warners group has a lot of experience of exhibitions and will put on a professionally run show. This might well make for a better show overall albeit with less local character.

So, no criticism, just an old codger trying to cope with change.

So, given the above comments, you'd have no issue exhibiting at a Warners show then.......

I know I wouldn't so I'm not sure what the issue was to start with. The association will stiil make money from the show. Potentially this return will be positively influenced by better advertising through Warners ? 

Things have to change for the bigger shows, for the reasons alluded to above in your post. Either that or the show goes the way of many now no longer held ( and I am not refering to pandemic influenced cancellation). 

Smaller shows, my preferred option by the way, will continue, once able.

If, as you say some small clubs are struggling there is perhaps an obvious solution. 

In order to support the clubs, exhibitors  take a long hard look at their expenses, numbers of 'required operators' and reduce them or even waive them. This will undoubtebly assist the organising club to get an exhibition on in 2022. 

Could this considerations influence the type of layout clubs will invite ? 

Will we see a shift away from big, multi-operator, big van (or even vans needed to transport) type of layouts as smaller show organisers seek to avoid expenses incurred by these big layouts ? 

I see the involvement of Warners as a positive and look forward to attending the show. 

Rob. 

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Mike.

Catch the A1 from the Airport to the city centre and then the either the T1 or T2 to Thornbury. Busses pass the door. The Thornbury buses do not use the BUS station but start from Bristol The Center stop C11 

Edited by 40F
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

8 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

So, given the above comments, you'd have no issue exhibiting at a Warners show then.......

I know I wouldn't so I'm not sure what the issue was to start with. The association will stiil make money from the show. Potentially this return will be positively influenced by better advertising through Warners ? 

Things have to change for the bigger shows, for the reasons alluded to above in your post. Either that or the show goes the way of many now no longer held ( and I am not refering to pandemic influenced cancellation). 

Smaller shows, my preferred option by the way, will continue, once able.

If, as you say some small clubs are struggling there is perhaps an obvious solution. 

In order to support the clubs, exhibitors  take a long hard look at their expenses, numbers of 'required operators' and reduce them or even waive them. This will undoubtebly assist the organising club to get an exhibition on in 2022. 

Could this considerations influence the type of layout clubs will invite ? 

Will we see a shift away from big, multi-operator, big van (or even vans needed to transport) type of layouts as smaller show organisers seek to avoid expenses incurred by these big layouts ? 

I see the involvement of Warners as a positive and look forward to attending the show. 

Rob. 

I have never exhibited at a Warners show probably because I have never contacted Andy or Phil to say I have a layout available. I usually get invites when exhibiting. I have exhibited at other shows put on by businesses. One of these there is one I would be very happy to exhibit at again and one probably not. I expect that Andy, Phil and team put in significantly more than their contracted hours to make these shows happen so you could argue they are also giving their time for free. I do prefer shows such as Stafford to shows organised by businesses. In fairness the shows put on by businesses tend to be slicker and are almost always very good quality. Shows such as Stafford and Taunton though have that slightly less corporate image and a rather more "we're just a bunch of amateurs doing this for fun" feel. I prefer that feeling, perhaps its just a nostalgic thing. I must state very clearly that I would much rather see a large show organised by a business than no show at all and I am glad that certain businesses are supporting the exhibition circuit in this way. It is quite likely that most if not all of the bigger shows will go this way over the next few years.

On the subject of expenses my previous layouts have been very low expense. Just two operators and the whole layout just about fitted in to my car. I always only asked for the cost of petrol at an assumed fuel economy of 45 mpg. I was almost certainly one of the cheapest layouts at most shows. I waived expenses at a few shows. 

• RMweb Gold

I guess I have mixed feelings about this. People are saying that the exhibition needs reinvigoration, but I was very happy the last time in went in 2019.  I have a concern that Warner's would only take it on of they felt there was a profit to be made for their business, so I guess that means higher extrance fees and more traders, therefore less layouts. I have no idea why the railway club have involved Warner's, but I guess it's because they can no longer get the volunteers to organise it themselves.

I hope it continues as good as before and I will go in 2022, it just leaves me unsettled when one organisation is running several of our big exhibitions.. Eggs in baskets comes to mind.

Edited by ikcdab

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Mike.

Bus to Temple Meads, train to parkway, bus or shuttle bus from parkway. Such a shame in the 1950s Bristol chose to develope the "wrong" airport, Filton would be ideal for the show.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 37114 said:

Bus to Temple Meads, train to parkway, bus or shuttle bus from parkway. Such a shame in the 1950s Bristol chose to develope the "wrong" airport, Filton would be ideal for the show.

Filton would have been so much better in terms of catchment area. Getting to the current Bristol airport from North of Bristol is a total pain. 

• Agree 2

42 minutes ago, Chris M said:

Filton would have been so much better in terms of catchment area. Getting to the current Bristol airport from North of Bristol is a total pain. 

No argument there.  And with a 10,000 ft runway, Filton could handle anything.  Lulsgate does have one advantage however; as Wikipedia puts it: "Being high, at 600 ft (180 m), the site had a poor weather record during warm front conditions, when it was often covered in low cloud.  However, when this occurred the alternative airfields at Filton and Cardiff were usually clear and operational; and as Lulsgate was clear when the low-lying airfields were obscured by radiation fog in calm weather, the landing ground provided a useful alternative."