acg5324

• RMweb Premium

This one is a bit of a troublesome one. We have 33034 on what looks like the Brighton to Exeter service on 24/5/80. Headcode should be 11. The location on the neg is marked as Corsham, which is at the eastern end of Box tunnel....so wrong route for the train. The mile post shows 71 1/2 but Corsham is 98 miles from Paddington. I can also find no reference to Legget Transport lorries in the goods yard. 

Any help with the location will be greatly appreciated.

33034 Corsham 240580 6x7MF JV.jpg

Edited by acg5324
mileage typo
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think it is Shrivenham which was 71m 44c on the GWML.  It had platform loops and the background looks right.  The position of the milepost, a typical BRW style one, tells us this is an Up train but is clearly not a Brighton to Exeter service unless it's very lost!  

Incidentally, Corsham was at 98m 26c not 88 miles.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

I was just about to type the same..The hauliers' vehicles in the background are from a company with an address at near-by South Marston. The identity of the train is a bit of a puzzle, though.

1 minute ago, Mike_Walker said:

I think it is Shrivenham which was 71m 44c on the GWML.  It had platform loops and the background looks right.  The position of the milepost, a typical BRW style one, tells us this is an Up train but is clearly not a Brighton to Exeter service unless it's very lost!  

Incidentally, Corsham was at 98m 26c not 88 miles.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Superb work gents. The train might be a red herring as it looks like a typical mishmash SR loco hauled set pair of BCKs and an RMB and half the headcode for the Exeter. It could be an excursion working, unusual to have a Buffet. Nothing on sixbellsjunction or the Railgenarchive sites.

I thought the word under Legget on the trucks would be transport not freightways.

The other excellent photo on Martin Loaders website shows a more contemporary to 1980 image.

http://www.hondawanderer.com/47556_Shrivenham_1981.htm

Edited by acg5324

2 minutes ago, acg5324 said:

Superb work gents. The train might be a red herring as it looks like a typical mishmash SR loco hauled set pair of BCKs and an RMB and half the headcode for the Exeter. It could be an excursion working, unusual to have a Buffet. Nothing on sixbellsjunction or the Railgenarchive sites.

Could it be overhauled stock from Swindon?

• RMweb Premium

Class 33s sometimes went a long way off their home turf on troop trains; we used to see them at Cambridge very occasionally for example, but again I should have thought a buffet car would be unusual!

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1