Hornby 2022 Range - pre-announcement frothing - now closed

Bendax88

A re-tooled N2 would be good to celebrate the centenary of the preserved loco (with a £5 donation to the overhaul fund for each one sold?).  Similarly, a retooled J13/J52?  

More examples of long-lived pre-grouping rolling stock would provide scope for numerous livery variations.

I'm not a great fan of sound-fitted locos but there has to be scope for some form of Synchro-Smoke if the market for steam locos remains large enough and can afford the likely prices. Remote uncoupling for DCC fitted locos?

Semaphore signals as robust and reliable as the old Hornby-Dublo ones but with more detail and working lights.

• Agree 3

So here goes.

The Coronation Scot coaches in their non coronation guise. An easy win that one surely.

Another restaurant car. As we have one for the Southern and LMS and a buffet for the LNER, perhaps a GWR 57ft collett. Difficult that one as the windows were changed post war. Otherwise a two car LNER set.

Any Pacific's left to do? I'm no expert but given the fixation with limited or one offs, perhaps those wanting the Great Bear will get their wish.

It's about time Hornby's pannier was finally retired. So perhaps an all mod cons pannier, but please no duplication.

On the wagon front perhaps it's time for a Corden gas tank. Well I can dream.

And it's certainly time for a new Siphon/full brake for the western.

• Like 3

I will hazard a guess it will be the year if the LMS and its constituents

Retool of Black 5 and/or 8F

New tool suburban tank

New tool something large from Lancashire & Yorkshire

Plus some obscure diesel liveries and again ignoring the open goal of BR Blue

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 2

I'm just hoping Hornby don't just go down the new release / retooled big 4-6-2, 4-6-0 locos as usual. I guess its based on their market research but the days when Hornby did new tooling like the H Class seem along time ago. I'm amazed neither Hornby or Bachmann have done a 377 as the livery options and wide geographic spread of these units would surely make them a decent seller? Not holding out much hope they'll do a 377 or indeed a SR U Class which in my opinion is crying out to be done.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Genuinely no idea what SK is planning this year . Reading the above there’s a few inspired guesses though . I’ll add some of my pure guesses .

We know SK likes big express engines . Are there any left to remodel or introduce? I suppose Great Bear might be one . If everyone clamouring over a W1 , even in non prototypical liveries , I suppose it’s possible . Great Bear in GWR Green and made up  BR Green and BR Blue  anyone !    SK will possibly be on the next series of “Hornby - a PR Whitewash “ and say he’s always wanted to do it. Possibly more KR territory I think 

I don’t think the Black 5 is that bad. But I note the people wanting one. And if you snooze you lose , so that might be a possibility  before someone like Accurascale steals it out from under him.

In the days when Hornby inspired (1980) we got the open cabbed pannier . There’s no point doing a mainstream Pannier ,Bachmann, Rapido got that covered. But I bet that open topped Pannier has sold well over the years , so maybe an upgrade with good cab detail would go down well . Ideal to pull GWR 6 wheelers .Were there Saddle Tank versions too ?  A metro tank might fill the space 

A J69 0-6-0T has never been modelled . Surely a possibility in GER Blue through to BR black . 

A Standard 5 would be good . The Bachmann one is dated 

Coronation coaches , following success of Coronation Scot . 

Looks  like Lion and revamped HST on the cards (although the latter may be a very limited revamp) 

It’s always interesting , so looking forward to it .  

Edited by Legend
  • Like 3

I could see them even needing to skip a year, to get back on track, with all of the announced-but-delayed new items.

To add interest, I suppose a new livery of an existing locomotive is easiest to announce and issue ... perhaps a preserved Lord Nelson in Malachite Green for example ... permitting them to catch up a little.

Perhaps a little 'boring', but more realistic.

I like collecting 'as preserved' steam locomotives, so the aforementioned would be a perfect addition for me.

Al.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

My guesses..

i’m thinking that given how little is originating from China, and what does, takes 5 months to arrive, that 2022 maybe a little thin.

Steam..

Well its new territory here, the last few years H has been aggressively head on to competing steam with duplicate head to heads.

The marketplace for steam has gone eerily silent in the pre-announced department.

What do they have known left to pick a fight on.. well not much.. Leader, Bellerpheron, Hunslet 16”, Kerr Stuart, 15xx, LBSC E1, Steam railmotor…I doubt they’ll pick anything out of that..Lions already picked, a Manor in a 3 way fight would be commercially silly.

I suspect 2022 is going to be devoid of steam surprises too*, any manufacturer headlining a new steam loco today, needs to have it in production, or accept they are giving Hornby a year to take them on to.

* (more are definitely coming just not yet public domain).

I’m guessing 2022 Hornby is not going to have too much new steam to offer, and suspect what is announced won’t appear in 2022.

Maybe a retool of one of the 8F, Black5.

A good chance of an 84xxx to join the 78xxx.

Several re-releases featuring smoke generators (A3/4/LN/King/Duchess etc).

Rebuilt Duchess in BR Maroon is a bit overdue.

modern..

Hornby stopped keeping truly  “modern” in 2001. Only the 395/Azuma fit outside this. I dont think this will change.

We may get TPE Azuma, but i’m not expecting anything else.

“historical” modern

return of the VEP,

Greater Anglia mk3/90,

more GBRF /DB celeb 66’s.

more celeb DB 90’s

South Eastern 466

Dublo

i’d like a Castle, I hope they resist the A4 (its too easy / save it for when Dublo excitement starts waning).

Coaches

LNER Coronation set

New LMS catering vehicle.

Signals

is it too much to hope that for the first time in 40 years we get a new range manual operated accurate looking Semaphore and Electric signals ? - You can fit a lot of them into a container… especially if you packaged them on arrival here, to fit more into the space in the container.

I keep thinking the age old trainset could do with a reboot…

We dont see milk churns, mixed freight and chocolate box branchlines on the Network these days, but Preserved railways exist.. Hornby could easily start a preserved railway range of Trainsets, .. Bluebell set with the SECR0-4-4T, KESR set with Terrier, Swanage set with 34072, MidHants set with an S15, GCR set with 45305, ELR set with a class 40, NYMR set with a Q6 etc…. Its an easy theme to latch onto, add a few relevant buildings and kids can join sets based on those theyve visited and can relate to…

tbh my track record on guessing H is usually wrong however, so dont place bets on my guesses.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Checking the list of things-I-would-definitely-buy which I keep on the bedside table - how sad is old age! - I notice that only one of the 40 listed items has so far been mentioned in this thread, and that in the wrong livery.  Here’s hoping you’re all barking up the wrong container, that one of my cherished desires is about to attain the heady status of RTRship, and that one of Hornby’s new rattling boxes will be on its way sometime in 2023!

Edited by Downer
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm really puzzled why they don't keep the Trout in the range annually.  Maybe it's a poor seller, but I would have thought they could trickle feed them through retailers selling ones and twos at a time with endless changes each year to engineering markings and liveries.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, rovex said:

Any Pacific's left to do? I'm no expert but given the fixation with limited or one offs, perhaps those wanting the Great Bear will get their wish.

Original LNER A2. Five of them, all named, big, impressive, green, opportunity for variations in details for the collectors.

In reality I expect it’ll be a year of consolidation to allow China to catch up and for some behind the scenes development work in advance of 2025.

Like someone else said above, I don’t know why I’m interested as I model in N! But I suppose it’s because Hornby are a bellwether for the hobby as a whole.

Merry Yule all

Richard T

• Like 3

Ex GNR/LNER K2 is, I think, the largest class of steam loco yet to be made available R-T-R

LMS Period II Gangwayed coaches

Rerun of  Gresley Gangwayed coaches (correct tumblehome this time!

A Super Duper Stanier Black 5

Some of these DID run on the ECML!

Merry Xmas to everyone

• Like 3

Given the amount of previously announced models still awaited then anything other than reliveries will be rediculous unless they are clearly stated as being for 2023/4/5 and even then the press and retailers will be implying thay are for 2022 as they did every spring when Bachmann announced what they intended, and typically failed, to produce in the next 18 months (ie to the Autumn of the following year) .

Edited by Butler Henderson
typo
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

My guesses..

i’m thinking that given how little is originating from China, and what does, takes 5 months to arrive, that 2022 maybe a little thin.

Steam..

Well its new territory here, the last few years H has been aggressively head on to competing steam with duplicate head to heads.

The marketplace for steam has gone eerily silent in the pre-announced department.

What do they have known left to pick a fight on.. well not much.. Leader, Bellerpheron, Hunslet 16”, Kerr Stuart, 15xx, LBSC E1, Steam railmotor…I doubt they’ll pick anything out of that..Lions already picked, a Manor in a 3 way fight would be commercially silly.

I suspect 2022 is going to be devoid of steam surprises too*, any manufacturer headlining a new steam loco today, needs to have it in production, or accept they are giving Hornby a year to take them on to.

* (more are definitely coming just not yet public domain).

I’m guessing 2022 Hornby is not going to have too much new steam to offer, and suspect what is announced won’t appear in 2022.

Maybe a retool of one of the 8F, Black5.

A good chance of an 84xxx to join the 78xxx.

Several re-releases featuring smoke generators (A3/4/LN/King/Duchess etc).

Rebuilt Duchess in BR Maroon is a bit overdue.

modern..

Hornby stopped keeping truly  “modern” in 2001. Only the 395/Azuma fit outside this. I dont think this will change.

We may get TPE Azuma, but i’m not expecting anything else.

“historical” modern

return of the VEP,

Greater Anglia mk3/90,

more GBRF /DB celeb 66’s.

more celeb DB 90’s

South Eastern 466

Dublo

i’d like a Castle, I hope they resist the A4 (its too easy / save it for when Dublo excitement starts waning).

Coaches

LNER Coronation set

New LMS catering vehicle.

Signals

is it too much to hope that for the first time in 40 years we get a new range manual operated accurate looking Semaphore and Electric signals ? - You can fit a lot of them into a container… especially if you packaged them on arrival here, to fit more into the space in the container.

I keep thinking the age old trainset could do with a reboot…

We dont see milk churns, mixed freight and chocolate box branchlines on the Network these days, but Preserved railways exist.. Hornby could easily start a preserved railway range of Trainsets, .. Bluebell set with the SECR0-4-4T, KESR set with Terrier, Swanage set with 34072, MidHants set with an S15, GCR set with 45305, ELR set with a class 40, NYMR set with a Q6 etc…. Its an easy theme to latch onto, add a few relevant buildings and kids can join sets based on those theyve visited and can relate to…

tbh my track record on guessing H is usually wrong however, so dont place bets on my guesses.

I do agree that a Dublo Castle would be a good option for next year and save the A4 for another time. Maybe in 2023 a Dublo Flying Scotsman will be presented as part of the 100th anniversary. Either way I expect them to milk the Scotsman that year! 

I also agree with the train sets becoming more relevant for todays market. Preservation steam sets would be a good shout and could include a Santa Special set with appropriate headboards or one of those trains with lights that have started to appear at preserved railways. Think the Nene Valley does one plus a few others

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

I expect the new Hornby Merchant Navy Class in as built form, will continue with some new names. As they have been produced in various forms, the scope for new models is right there.

I suspect you might be right @Bulleidboy100 although I also think 2022 could be the year to announce a retooled rebuilt Merchant Navy - if Hornby don’t then at some point someone else will!

For me I’d expect the announcement on 10th January to include:

#1 A newly tooled, large, named steam loco in several liveries

#2 Something none of us were expecting

#3 not enough diesel/electric models in 1980s or 1990s liveries to satisfy a loud segment of RMWebbers

#4 1 or more models already announced by one of the new(ish) manufacturers or commissioners

#5 something else from the 1830s (remember Lion was only announced outside of the usual window because of Rapido securing the Titfield Thunderbolt rights)

Sensible suggestions I have are:

A GW Saint class 4-6-0

A re-tooled Stanier 8F (Dublo heritage)

A Collett Restaurant Car

Another small industrial diesel

Something licensed

Slightly more left field suggestions:

A re-tooled J94/Austerity 0-6-0ST 

A newly tooled Standard 4MT 2-6-4T (Dublo connection again)

A modern standard 37 or 47 or possibly a Deltic

We’ll just have to wait and see!

• Like 5

To be honest, I would just like to see some of the so far missing liveries for the 153 and the HST, eg: 

153: 

Wales and West Heart of Wales Orange 

Wessex Trains St Ives / Looe Blue 

First Great Western Local Lines 

HST: 

Great Western Trains Merlin

First Great Western 'Fag Packet' 

First Great Western Barbie 

A long overdue re-run of Virgin Red Black / GNER / MML Ocean Blue. 

I do reckon we'll see an EMT / EMR Version though - with 5 operators making use of the ex VTEC livery, and the sought after nature of the Stagecoach Power Cars, something has to be produced surely! 

Edited by surfsup
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Carl LaFong said:

Ex GNR/LNER K2 is, I think, the largest class of steam loco yet to be made available R-T-R

LMS Period II Gangwayed coaches

Rerun of  Gresley Gangwayed coaches (correct tumblehome this time!

A Super Duper Stanier Black 5

Some of these DID run on the ECML!

Merry Xmas to everyone

That would be the LNWR DX Goods by a long way.   There was only 943 of them built. :prankster:

However all gone by 1930 so I doubt we'll see one anytime soon.

However if any manufacturers are looking, there was also 499 17" Coal Engines and 310 18" Cauliflowers of the same basic design lineage which did last until BR days.

Jason

• Like 3

Going down a slightly different furrow, I’d really like to see some clarity in whatever Hornby decide to market.

My sole purchase from their 2021 announcements was a new GWR Macaw bolster wagon and I have to say that I was very disappointed to find it still had a huge D coupling akin to Robin Hood’s bow. They could at least have upgraded it to carry the more modern smaller tension-lock if they were reintroducing it, or alternatively had the decency to stick it in the Railroad range so that I knew what was likely to be coming.

It really is difficult when a “new” Hornby product is announced to know what sort of standard you are getting and customer disappointment can only damage their brand image.

I was standing outside a model shop window admiring (but with no intent to purchase!) a Bachmann 2 car DMU set weighing in at around £280.00 and my wife asked me why the Hornby HST train set with track, controller etc. was “only” £130.00. I explained that it was probable that the Hornby model was from the last decade (or millennium?), that they probably had made a more up-to-date model of the HST since, but I had only a suspicion which version was in the set. The packaging gave no clue.

I feel that unless the buyer has good prior product knowledge or is prepared to do some research that buying a “new” Hornby item is like sticking your hand in a lucky dip. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

How about a decent early GWR autocar 57' or 70'?

Early GWR 0-6-0T, some classes had both saddle and panniers at the same 850/1701/1854 etc.

Outside frame GWR tank

LMS Fury

Welsh Valley 0-6-2T

Some Scottish locos (not for me, but seem to be very thin on the model ground)

LMS 1930's three car diesel unit.

LMS/Karrier Ro-Railer. Be very impressive if they could make it run on road or rail:good:

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Star-rider said:

Going down a slightly different furrow, I’d really like to see some clarity in whatever Hornby decide to market.

My sole purchase from their 2021 announcements was a new GWR Macaw bolster wagon and I have to say that I was very disappointed to find it still had a huge D coupling akin to Robin Hood’s bow. They could at least have upgraded it to carry the more modern smaller tension-lock if they were reintroducing it, or alternatively had the decency to stick it in the Railroad range so that I knew what was likely to be coming.

That is a straight relivery of the 40 year old Airfix tooling - there was no mention of any upgrade or new tooling, just a new in terms of the livery or to be more precise a different running number on it compared to what has been offered previously. If as it seems it still has theh Airfix coupling mount then it would be simple to swop the couplings for the original Airxfix narrow ones  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313797691883?hash=item490fccc9eb:g:QrIAAOSwb21hlD75 or the Mainline sized ones that were produced whilst in Palitoy ownership https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/13011372546?iid=121838890660

Edited by Butler Henderson
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Star-rider said:

It really is difficult when a “new” Hornby product is announced to know what sort of standard you are getting and customer disappointment can only damage their brand image.

I was standing outside a model shop window admiring (but with no intent to purchase!) a Bachmann 2 car DMU set weighing in at around £280.00 and my wife asked me why the Hornby HST train set with track, controller etc. was “only” £130.00. I explained that it was probable that the Hornby model was from the last decade (or millennium?), that they probably had made a more up-to-date model of the HST since, but I had only a suspicion which version was in the set. The packaging gave no clue.

I feel that unless the buyer has good prior product knowledge or is prepared to do some research that buying a “new” Hornby item is like sticking your hand in a lucky dip. 

Any good Model shop will certainly advise you about that….and yes I do work in one.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Raven LNER A2 the last but one other LNER pacific, not modelled. Both tyenders in their lists.

Thompson A2/1 and A2/2 (LNER Versions of the A2/2).

Raven B16 /1/2/3 variations. Tender done.

LNER Coronation set

LNER Triplet Restaurant set

LNER TPO.

J21 /J24/J25 ,   for Oxford perhaps, as already have the Tender.

Edited by micklner
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

That is a straight relivery of the 40 year old Airfix tooling - there was no mention of any upgrade or new tooling, just a new in terms of the livery or to be more precise a different running number on it compared to what has been offered previously. If as it seems it still has theh Airfix coupling mount then it would be simple to swop the couplings for the original Airxfix narrow ones  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313797691883?hash=item490fccc9eb:g:QrIAAOSwb21hlD75 or the Mainline sized ones that were produced whilst in Palitoy ownership https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/13011372546?iid=121838890660

Thanks for your response BH and its helpful intent.

Yes, I know I have options for a coupling swap and it is not beyond me. I’m more miffed that I should have to be upgrading it myself on a 2021 release.

Someone who has just purchased a newly tooled loco and the Macaw at the same time could be forgiven for thinking he had purchased from different brands if he were to judge by the couplings.

Perhaps I’m just following the current fashion of being offended on behalf of someone else who I have never met - or maybe it’s because I’m getting old and grumpy.

• Like 3