Newton Regis. Workbench wanderings through the 1920s and 30s the Great Western Way

longchap

• RMweb Gold

I thought after initially lurking and getting plenty of really great help here, I’d better begin contributing in an attempt to give at least something back. The risk is in the possibility of howls of laughter and “You don’t want to it that way, do it like this . . . ” type of comments, in which case the modelling genetics pool only improves. Fortunately, I have broad shoulders, so let us begin.  

After parting with my first layout in the 1980s following marriage and enjoyable all-consuming careers, we decided to live a different lifestyle in the place we’d grown to love. After then renovating an ancient arrangement of interesting old buildings into a home and business, a tired chap finally had to have something to do in the cooler winter months. Before I knew it, I was discovering long buried, but not forgotten modelling pleasures, together with learning new ones such as airbrushing, soldering and worryingly, that most darkest art of electrickery. This last one is very much still a work in progress!

My first and current layouts both represent GWR branches, although the current is more accurately based on realism than before and is fully supported by a commitment to do much better, despite my still ascending the learning curve of current model railway technology . . . so much happened to our hobby during my 45 year excursion!

The branch is called Newton Regis, derived from research into Devonian field names plus a royal connection from childhood memories living on Dartmoor, where much land is owned by the Duchy of Cornwall, currently represented by HRH Prince Charles. As a child, I’ve wandered along the Princetown branch track bed for miles, still ballasted then, just a few years post closure. Then following a cinema trip to Tavistock one Saturday afternoon with some chums, we bunked over a fence and explored the significant, but now sadly lost remains of the GWR station. If only I knew of my later interest, I would have paid much more attention.

My young man played trains with little knowledge of the prototype. He built a Wills Finecat loco which kind of worked and 4 wheel coaches and wagons from Ratio and Cooper Craft and generally enjoyed himself without the ability to carry out extensive research into prototype modelling which we all now take for granted, although not all seem to get the best from it. Nowadays, the older gent enjoys his emerging new railway with the ability of web research, combined with an ever growing library and modelling resource. The results are providing exactly what I’d hoped for from reading the tin, “Most rewarding”.

Enough reflection. The big plan is to build a continuous run mainline with a junction to the Newton Regis branch. I have a large workshop which is now watertight with new electrics, flat concrete floor, insulation, doors, equipment and finally, but not yet, a dedicated railway room at one end of good proportions. Newton Regis is the test bed for developing new modelling skills, mastering new technology and ironing out all possible silly errors, with the intention that the more complex mainline can happen with the benefit of increased expertise.

Here is the branch track plan idea; second and final iteration. Question to self: What does final ever really mean ?

843305381_2010211814_211314_120000000.jpg.30965222422a36872ec8f14918cb7928.jpg

All trackwork is laid using Peco Code 75 bullhead with large radius points and in keeping with latest technology, is DCC.

Lightweight baseboards have always seemed a good idea for several reasons. My standard size are 1200 x 600mm with 15 x 100mm high sides and braces and 9mm tops.  I’m building the branch in advance of the main line, as it has just 6 points, and 2 boards. Seems to be an adequate, yet useful learning piece.

892527699_2011021814_020435_390000000.jpg.a5d44e363f5a5f50a8867160a2be8441.jpg

Here’s the first board’s framework, just before screwing and gluing. The sides are deep enough to mask the deep slow action point machines, while the holes help reduce weight, as well as facilitate easy cable routes. Boards have metre long legs on adjustable feet and I can sit reasonable comfortably for under board maintenance, although installation work is currently being carried out with the boards turned on edge.

781973410_IMG_1907500.jpg.cd468afbd8f2a72b47a0a3aeff0ccd25.jpg

Working with finescale trackwork is interesting, after the ease of robust Code 100 flat bottom. Code 75 bullhead is very flexible and seems to deform with just a scowl, so goodness what damage would be done from a hard stare. I better hide the marmalade to keep Paddington bear away from the railway room!

Fitting the rail joiners proved to be a frustratingly long task, simply due to the miniscule nature of the little blighters, but they do look good, with a well defined representations of fish-plates and bolts, not dissimilar to C&L Finescale flexi-track.

The rail joiner design makes for a very tight fit and they will not always slip over the rail ends. Perseverance will pay off for some joints, hopefully many, but for stubborn ones, I used the flat blade of a small jeweller’s screwdriver to gently ease open just the end, ever so very slightly, which helps start the joiner on the way. The result: joy replaces frustration!

All trackwork is still just pinned down and will remain so until the points are powered and fully operational, thus enabling extensive testing over every inch of track and with all conceivable stock likely to visit the branch. I have no intention in removing any dodgy track after having ballasted it. The one area I am concerned with is the transition into the goods yard, which drops just a few millimetres, not very much and also prototypical, but powered testing with my choice of couplers will be essential.

356078060_2112041814_041743_380000000.jpg.bf53eb76218e644e997f4c653a60fc9e.jpg

Currently, I am mainly concerned with point motors and have so far screwed two of them to the baseboard. To save possible embarrassment and to get more done, I’ll wait to give further detail, but hope that the story so far is not too boring.  I did buy more wire and connecting blocks today though, so progress can be continued.

In finishing, besides the process of getting working track onto baseboards, I’ll admit to a few sanity saving diversions, to be shared here shortly. This gives me even more time to progress the dreaded electrics before some might justifiably think I need to get his finger out. As if you would, haha!

More soon,

Happy Christmas,

Bill

Coming soon to a cinema near you .  .  .

1714285264_IMG_0800700px.jpg.b0103a365ca9f929ed3d5a1ef2c56a1e.jpg

Yay, caption competition. Please feel free to post below.

Edited by longchap
Wrong track plan reinstated after the site crashed, but I think I got away with it though, phew!
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Yes I have Graham, but it's a basic early one, which has changed and needs re-drafting. The railway room however has a 6 x 4 metre footprint, so can offer some good opportunities.

Must get some kip now, as we're an hour later than you and the bride and cat are both telling me it's bed time!

More soon,

Best,

Bill

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This looks interesting Bill, Welcome to the world of RMWeb.

Are you sourcing railway items from Europe or importing from the UK? My experience of importing is not good at the moment!

Is the soon to be fixed window going to be a cameo along the lines of the door at Little Muddle?

You comment that the goods yard is going to drop a few mm. might I suggest that if there’s a possibility of making life difficult, keep it all on the same level. 

Good luck, it’ll be good to see the layout progress.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I like the track plan, is it based on anywhere particular?

Hi Wolfman,

I looked at countless small branches, drawing inspiration from several and Chipping Norton, Moreton in Marsh and Chudleigh particularly proved most useful. The track plan is not copying any exact location, but follows prototypical practice and I’ll be surprised if there’s not one branch pretty close to Newton Regis. My station building and stables are taken from Morton in Marsh, while the goods shed is from Chudleigh.

Merry Christmas,

Bill

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

This looks interesting Bill, Welcome to the world of RMWeb.

Are you sourcing railway items from Europe or importing from the UK? My experience of importing is not good at the moment!

Is the soon to be fixed window going to be a cameo along the lines of the door at Little Muddle?

You comment that the goods yard is going to drop a few mm. might I suggest that if there’s a possibility of making life difficult, keep it all on the same level. 

Good luck, it’ll be good to see the layout progress.

Yes Neal, unfortunately, importing items from the UK now constantly brings problems, usually lengthy transit times plus the often double VAT, as UK merchants have not yet realised (really?) that they should not be charging VAT on EU exports, as French customs almost always are on the ball nowadays. I was particularly careful to pre-order my Siphon G from Accurascale.com and not the .uk site for good reason. I’m still waiting to review further discussions on their Manor before considering another pre-order.

I buy mainly paint, wire, materials, decoders, accesories, etc within the EU, as well as having most UK things delivered to friends for collection when I can get back, which is since almost 2 years now. I will need to take my van the next time I travel. The Hattons trunk service is useful, although I'm just about to ask them to refund the VAT on my Dapol Prairie, as I need it delivered soon, to make sure I'm completely happy with it before they run out of sock, should it need to be returned.

Ha! You cleverly spotted my cunning plan regarding the posable shed window and I have several variations on the cameo theme. I’ll admit not to have smoked* the Little Muddle game, opps!

I was very wary of lowering the goods yard roads by even the 2 or 3mm of the cork, but liked the idea of prototype practice, which only I will probably ever notice. Fortunately, all track is still only pinned down, so ever so easy to reinstate the cork, which I’ve always been prepared to do should powered testing dictate. The jury will decide before too long and thank you for your good advice, well received.

Time now to go and fabricate the bride's Christmas card, so Merry Christmas to you and yours,  

Bill

(*18thC naval parlance)

Edited by longchap
Lapse in proof reading!

• RMweb Gold

Another pandemic year almost past and little sign of being able to roam carefree for a time yet to come, so please stay safe and warm this Christmas and God bless us all and those we love.

Warmest wishes to every single member of RMWeb, no matter what colour your rolling stock may be, your age, sex, race or inside leg measurement.

Merry Christmas and as healthy and happy and harmonious future to you as may be possible!

Bill

:locomotive:

Right, do you think there's time to go catch a suspecting bird?

:butcher:

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

As one writes out 100 times, ‘I will not ignore my own rules again!’

Before pinning the track to the baseboard for the ubiquitous cattle dock, the base was first constructed to make sure it all fitted satisfactorily in the available space and it was evident that some bashing was required. The basic construction was built and the ramp repositioned on the short side, so it fitted the space. However, in my haste, I ignored one of my cardinal rules and built it on the cutting mat, rather than on the glass plate to ensure all would be square. Fortunately I have no photographic evidence to embarrass me further than necessary, but it rocked rather alarmingly when sat on the level baseboard, so out came the glass plate, as I immersed the dock in almost boiling water for a few minutes, before it sat overnight on the glass with several books weighing it down as it cooled.

1142777053_2101101814_101210_340000000.jpg.9ee949446f773d7caa6691f2d3f21b9b.jpg

Cattle dock – apparently, other livestock are also available

All fine and level the next morning and a trial fit in the final position meant I could position the track accordingly and the use of curved track profiles resulted in a pleasing transition from running line to cattle dock.

With track pinned, soldered down, razor sawed at baseboard joint and temporary DC power hooked up, a Collet Goods trundled around smooth and steadily as the first loco to run on Newton Regis’ metals. A happy moment.

1518969737_2101101814_101210_350000003.jpg.98f806eb38cebda968dc2e47553a3c89.jpg

After looking through lots dock photos, I’ll be discarding the concrete track pavings in favour of good old brick.

I tend to paint structures as I construct them, so I next set to with Vallejo acrylics on the stonework to resemble Cotswold stone with reference to photos.

1206724841_2101221814_221423_330000000.jpg.143fe2eaa89cacde572525ba88f1b5b8.jpg

A thinned coat of ‘Portland stone’ went first  as a basic mortar colour and then colours built up with numerous colours by dry brushing, referring to the reference photo.

747174873_2101221814_221423_330000001.jpg.46c18fc0f9ef7841c555a9907686f394.jpg

Not finished yet, but turning to the top surface, which I assume are brick paviours, I wondered what colour they would have been.

They could have started as blue brick for strength and would of course, despite regular hosing down, attained an obvious patina and I’ll represent this appropriately, but I want to find the right look for a dock originally built in the late 19th century, now serving it’s community in the early to mid-20th.  By my modelling period (Mid-20s to mid-30s), the GWR had ceased using lime wash to sanitise cattle facilities, so it will appear in darker tones than the work in progress above.

Engineering brick for cattle dock paviours makes good sense, as they are very durable, water resistant and also come in colours other than blue!

However, following further research, I went with weathered red/brown brick and decided on a hosed down look following a recent livestock transit.

944869827_2101231814_231311_490000001.jpg.c04e25238cd469dd27b8bd5d6d94f779.jpg

Powders still required, but only following installation of the fencing and gates, while the platform face will receive more treatment in conjunction with the brick track-bed pavings.

I can’t remember cattle docks, but pre-pandemic, regularly drove past a huge cattle market in Cholet with concrete and metal pens on the way to the airport. I hope that the final result will be sufficiently reminiscent of early 19th C railway practice and fortunately there are lots of lively photos of stock handling on the net and in the reference books.

172449355_2101311814_311317_050000001.jpg.57d4ddb060be9360b9eea6ea450896c0.jpg

I fitted most of the fencing and gradually adding more whitewash to the concrete posts and am thinking to have one pen in the process of being populated, as I have a GWR white metal cattle truck kit that should look good backed up to the ramp, discouraging beasts.

There’s still two pair of gates to glue in position, but I need to review the contents of the livestock drawer to see how many walking / standing cattle are available and decide if the gates will be posed open or shut.

The cattle dock is now effectively finished, save for final titivation when installed and populated.  

1492726726_2102031814_031702_160000000.jpg.9b3a97fee9a4c206f8377e591ed460e2.jpg

That's all folks  .  .  .  well until after Christmas.

Be good,

Bill

Edited by longchap
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

As Christmas is over and one never needs an excuse for posting a Pannier, this one’s just had the final pass of the airbrush.

51550034_1905081814_081236_300000003.jpg.fd979ac93499d8cc6fc14fabb5fbaef6.jpg

Not sure how many Panniers I have now, but you really cannot have too many.

Best,

Bill

Newton Regis, 1920’s to 30s GWR, 4mm, DCC

Edited by longchap
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Quick Build:  Coal Office  . . .  one tiny building, two big hands

500599956_2104171814_121339_190000000.jpg.955caf27f2ac25e27d3d6e4f020c3dc3.jpg

527631418_2104171814_121339_190000001.jpg.1f23e40790e809ac9ed77de72f099c4b.jpg

1419128793_2104171814_121339_190000002.jpg.a83106fddff4e17253e3c703ebfce2e5.jpg

1191530505_2104171814_121339_190000004.jpg.9f0cbac538323cc280dcd9e40fe3ec7e.jpg

902854002_2104171814_170607_410000000.jpg.dd378c816688907e6243b22ec92dcaa9.jpg

A simple build of a small yard hut to be used by coal merchants, Regis Coal. If I found the blue tack in time, I would have used it to hold the tiny chimney parts together to get it glued straighter than it was. Fortunately, I found it in time for the gutters and downpipes.

The only mishap was almost dropping the hut after taking photo 3 (fragile state) and in grabbing it in mid-air, squished the front and rear façades, necessitating robust, if scary manipulation, overnight clamping and supplemental internal bracing. It reminded me of the after effect of a vehicle crash test!

Best,

Bill 

Edited by longchap
  • Like 7

Nice job. You've got the mortar lines well, as they're not particularly deep on that kit.

I got one of those free with one of the monthly comics, Railway Modeller I think. It got severely butchered into a weighbridge hut. It's that cast iron arched top window that really gives the model the edge in character.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Wolfman, it was an easy paint job really. I used thinned Vallejo acrylics, first an overall brown brick base colour, then overpainted the blue and when completely dry, used very well thinned mortar colour over the brick joints, dabbed roughly on with a rigger brush in manageable areas and let capillary action do the work, then blotted off with kitchen paper until done. The mortar colour spillage gives some variation in texture to the brick facings and it was a very quick process.  

Bill

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Another layout construction diversion  .  .  .  8751 Pannier, my first loco weathering project

In the pursuit of realism, I’d long known I was going to weather my railway, as little in the external environment remains pristine for very long, particularly where steam powered motive power is concerned. To achieve a harmonious and natural look across all aspects of the modelled railway, would require a carefully planned approach and honing of skills to achieve a half decent result, oh yes and practice.

Like many modellers, I started with the easy things, these also being the less expensive route for obvious reasons . . . these two big hands needing diligence and discipline not to mess things up! So it was the little people and second hand wagons which fell easy victim to my hand / eye coordination exercises with  getting into weathering. A nice man at the Southampton Model Railway Society's annual exhibition at Eastleigh sat me down a few years ago and gave me a quick one-to-one on weathering a grey mineral wagon with a brush, dirty water and a piece of kitchen paper, then giving me the wagon, sent my off to practice at home.  

I had a basic airbrush kit tucked away in its box, just waiting for the time when I felt brave enough to have a go. Well I was begining to feel the urge, seeing other modellers wonderful examples of weathered stock and having bought a couple of Tim Shackleton’s books on the subject, I realised that to stand a good chance of success, I needed to learn from people who really knew their stuff, so enrolled in a course at Pendon which turned out to be an eye opening experience.

There were just five of us on the course, all friendly and interesting modellers and the day was enlightening, as Mick Bonwick’s friendly demeanour and experienced tuition easily dissolved any fear of using the equipment and more importantly, demystified the gaps in my basic airbrushing knowledge and I was relieved that I was able to use the airbrush and even produce something credible, although more practice can only improve my technique.

Mick familiarised us with the equipment and then how to stir paint! A basic skill to learn well and never to be skimped, although he cheated by using an electric stirrer. Progressing to thinning and loading a little paint into the airbrush cup, we were soon handling the double action brush by spraying lines and shapes onto kitchen paper, held vertically in place by suction, on the filter medium of the spray booth. Apparently, I am quite good at spraying series of consistently small dots. Exciting eh, but encouraging!

By the time the course ended, I realised that any worry I’d had with airbrushing had vanished and I now feel confident in moving forward not only in applying livery colours, but also to banish pristine stock from the layout.

On returning home, I had an Iwata Eclipse HP SBS airbrush delivered (the cheap ones in my kit remains unused) and booked the follow-on course at Pendon and again Mick was reassuringly present and introduced me to  the delightful Tim Shackleton and I soon settled into the companionable pleasure of these two gents and enjoyed the start of my journey learning the basics of weathering locomotives.

For the first victim of Longchap loco weathering, I chose the ubiquitous Pannier, a classic Bachmann example, actually sourced as used from Hattons, as evidenced by the over handled handrails, which hopefully would be rectified by the weathering process.

Here’s the before images, a fine model, but far too clean  .  .  .

1290953387_1905081814_081234_470000000.jpg.e494e19cd0b5ce6adadc08f068b70d80.jpg

1321994629_1905081814_081234_470000001.jpg.ea582d556aa3ae88e424e7d1a217be40.jpg

To begin, I gave my Humbrol matt leather and matt black enamel tinlets the Bonwick two minutes stir with a purpose made flattened scooped stirrer, reminding myself to acquire one of those battery whizzy things. This stage should never ever be skipped, or reduced in length with enamel paints, as every trace of pigment needs to be completely incorporated, otherwise you are likely to get spitting and eventually blocking of your airbrush, which could mean stripping, cleaning and reassembling, so this stage saves time in the long run, if carried out correctly.

I held the airbrush 4" away and spray thin mist layers moving the brush an inch a second to build up the desired weathering effect, starting with the undercarriage and motion using a thinned 50/50 mixture of white spirit to paint (no, you do not need expensive thinners and enamel thinners in particular contain undesirable solvents which you do not want inside your lungs).

This first underframe layer has more matt leather than black, approx, 60/40, representing accumulated track dirt, the mixture containing progressively more black as I work up the tank sides and onto the top and cab roof. Remember to touch the wheels to the terminals of a square 9v battery ro turn the motion, enabling paint to get to any hidden parts.

1457046200_1905081814_081234_470000002.jpg.315e668b1f442e92ca44f269b412536f.jpg

1094450833_1905081814_081234_470000003.jpg.538ca216b994a83a75fe91f4f6fb2c51.jpg

The photos above represent three mist layers, together with some initial rain streaking to the tank and cab sides. Without streaking, the weathering, while graduated, looks unconvincingly uniform, but the effect of rain, water spillage and footfalls on footplate, steps and buffer shanks add much realism of an engine in service.

Streaking is achieved after letting the enamel dry for 15 minutes or so, just the right time for a cuppa. With a flat half inch brush in hand and a few drops of white spirit dripped onto the bristles and almost dried off on kitchen paper, place the brush almost flat on the top of the tank sides and draw it firmly downwards. The enamel paint can be worked for quite a while this way and you can remove as much paint as you wish and easily work ‘dirt’ into corners, a line above the footplate, into details, around rivets, etc.

1765831357_1905081814_081236_300000000.jpg.86d0bec329f30e9d7d7a298309063169.jpg

997350708_1905081814_081236_300000002.jpg.651e7975d7811d49f385de36d17c6cc9.jpg

1101612906_1905081814_081236_300000003.jpg.af0f6d36d4df3f0475f0d8d7ef036c13.jpg

For a more heavily worked look, I’ve sprayed some almost all black (90/10) coat over the tank top and cab roof, which is as much work with the airbrush as I want, but will add some powders for extra sooty smoke deposits on the smokebox top and cab roof.

The detail pack has still to be fitted which will duly pre-weathered, together with crew, coal, lamps, tools, etc and possibly the popular pep pipe.

Oh, I think I got away with those dodgy handrails!

Best,

Bill

Edited by longchap
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• RMweb Gold

Locos .  .  .  4539 small Prairie, my second loco weathering project

Now here's a lovely loco we GWR types know well and one of my favourites for branch line work. This is a sweet running 45xx small Prairie, again by Bachmann and which received much the same treatment as the 87xx Pannier above.  Whilst the Pannier is destined to be rostered mainly for freight, 4539 will handle local branch passenger stock, so as photographs reveal, was often cleaner than freight stock. This will not be a fastidiously cleaned loco, but will show signs of determined cleaning of the tank sides from oily rags. The two principle differences between the weathering of these two locos will be reduced heavy sooty deposit to 4539’s upper works and cleaner tank sides.

The photos tell a similar story to 8751 Pannier: build up of layered mist coats, streaking, etc

1931991941_1905091814_090926_160000001.jpg.2f5c66a26ca227dcb731751178daf362.jpg

Right out of the box

977874693_1905091814_090926_160000002.jpg.e1d54299fb7253cb1cbcb6fefda849c3.jpg

All over light warm mist first layer

462653149_1905091814_090926_160000003.jpg.ef5435c291d1e9654219cec340a44b9d.jpg

Darker second layer with smoke to top surfaces

637912369_1905091814_090926_160000004.jpg.d9e4824be76fc732d1f9354ee68a5d8d.jpg

Streaking to vertical surfaces

The trick for representing an oily rag spit and polish is to apply a thick coat of neat floor polish, known to many as Johnson’s Kleer in fact, now sold under the name of Johnson’s Pledge and I imported a lifetime’s supply from the USA for modelling purposes. Once applied with a flat brush, just leave it well alone and go have another cuppa and when you return, the surface levels out to a subtle, gentle sheen. If you want to represent a much more cared for loco, or perhaps one prepared for a special run, apply a thin second coat.

2117128329_1905091814_090927_320000000.jpg.f566a21388580ef7eff8b7033c613eb9.jpg

271863019_1905091814_090927_320000001.jpg.08e7462ab53d33232ae52becd0379861.jpg

1381698425_1905091814_090927_320000002.jpg.52618d2c08f8f2f0ac3cf49fdeca683a.jpg

Again, finishing touches have yet to be added

I hope these last posts help demystify what many consider to be one of the hobbies’ dark arts. It is not and once you’re confident in using and looking after your airbrush, you’ll realise that weathering stock is a pleasure and doesn’t take very long.

My intention is to follow a regime of weathering all aspects of my railway and following, wherever possible, contemporary photographs.

Enjoy your modelling,

Bill

Edited by longchap
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

Evening Chris,

It's good to be excited and makes one smile. I also smiled when I first checked out my proposed layout names and found the above location as you have. I hope that you can retain a smile with the thought of the possible Newton Railway station, not unlike the representation taking shape in my railway room.

I was actually relieved that there was no railway at Newton Regis, as it gave me full modeller's license to build my railway without needing to follow the prototype.

I do hope you approve. Just let me know if you ever find a "Station Road" on your walks!

Best,

Bill

Edited by longchap
Not seeing with my eye open, sorry Chris.
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Quick Build:  Platelayer’s Hut  . . .  another tiny building, same big hands

44410240_2104261814_261118_070000000.jpg.3f712a058a79d303a0e272c4ca60ea9d.jpg

1056501544_2104261814_261118_070000001.jpg.0b627dc31e94e15ec43d9f4dbc42c44f.jpg

651503089_2104261814_261118_070000002.jpg.6be1e945236cf103ebe009adc31f8b96.jpg

684671759_2104261814_261118_080000003.jpg.190d8e9f2ba16e8b801c53a0a7d27e18.jpg

300727662_2104261814_261119_150000000.jpg.dc6a816277e5a8c96f528dd45654060b.jpg

2034720022_2104261814_261119_150000001.jpg.68bbcecb0d666274fcb3a8a8fd647c17.jpg

Another small kit which assembled very easily, just as I remember Cooper Craft kits always did, as the last time I built one back in the 1980s and with complete absence of flash and also with detailed instructions and prototype history. 

A joy to build and finish, I resisted the temptation to paint it black! Good to get it off the workbench, as now I've reminded myself how to use my multi-meter, I'm off to do some continuity testing on my layout wiring.

Best,

Bill

Edited by longchap
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Well done on not painting the hut black!

Even when freshly tarred it wouldn't have been black and give it one winter...

You know how it would be.

That platelayers hut is a kit I would love to see revived.

I have one on my layout, (also not black!) Partly because it shouts GWR branch and partly because it reminds me of my first attempt at model railway rather than train set.

IMG_20210409_022940.jpg.536fcee693bdd50701d25996a844ad17.jpg

IMG_20210409_023000.jpg.23462b96adb9161f5584cbfc2c6417ac.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 2