S&D in a very small space - Timsbury Bottom...

Gilbert

• RMweb Gold

The new boards configured with the existing fiddle yards....so far so good...I've raised the boards so I can use Cobalt point motors without the right angle adapters I've used on the last two projects. The tracks on both existing boards will need slight re-alignment.

51789652147_1d945236d4_c.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

A bit of preparation - a control panel - all tested with a meter before fixing the bits (or going anywhere near the layout)- just as well as one of the DPDTs was a dud....now replaced...

51794411949_58cd7dea0e.jpg

51794162853_cd137785d8.jpg

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
On 27/12/2021 at 14:56, Oldddudders said:

I believe the more we know about a specific prototype or location, the more critical we are of others' what-ifs. People are generally better at researching locos, stock and structures than topographical feasibility. 

There is a gap, of sorts, in the Polden Hills near the village of Walton, just to the west of Glastonbury, which the Glastonbury and South Somerset Railway exploited, when they built their line from Glastonbury to Athelney, with the intention of providing a direct route from the cathedral city of Wells to Taunton.

My researches indicated that there was a passing loop at the remote station of Bleakhouse Road, but only for passing a passenger train with a goods service.

Between Bleakhouse Road and Glastonbury was the small station of Pedwell & Greinton, which could arguably have had the kind of track layout that you are building.

The G&SSR was quickly absorbed into the Somerset & Dorset Joint Railway and spent most of it's years quietly falling into decline, with the section beyond Bleakhouse Road, to Athelney, closed in the early years of nationalisation.

The remainder of the branch closed along with the rest of the S&D, on 7th March 1966.

For more of this rubbish, there was an article published in BRM a few years ago!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Pedwell & Greinton sounds excellent......

I shall add that to West Brent, Lockout Burtle and Queen Charlton as the short list of possible names grows...I shall not be putting it to a vote...we may end up with Trainy McTrainface....

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Captain Kernow said:

Well, yes RM and Hornby Magazine as well, plus even more rhubarb than you need to make several enormous crumbles on here.

I do have a couple of pieces saved in my layout planning file......I definitely saw one of your S&D layouts at the (?) Edington show many years ago...

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Oh, hang on, it might have been Greinton & Pedwell...

2 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

I definitely saw one of your S&D layouts at the (?) Edington show many years ago...

Both Engine Wood and Bleakhouse Road have been to Edington at least twice each, IIRC. I was certainly there with BHR in January 2001 and also, I think, in January 2005.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Prompted by this discussion I decided to see how the proposed loco roster would perform on PECO small radious turnouts using Cropper Street....any excuse to play trains....even the 7F coped.....Rule 1 will definitely be in play.......

51794381483_d364f413de_z.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

I shall add that to West Brent, Lockout Burtle and Queen Charlton as the short list of possible names grows...I shall not be putting it to a vote...we may end up with Trainy McTrainface....

and now I can add Greinton & Pedwell......

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The amount of fiction written regarding the Serene & Delightful's multitudinous tributaries must second only that of Sodor!

That being said this is shaping up to be a worthy addition to the collected works:D

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A great project, I really look forward to seeing it develop. I'm a bit younger than Bulwell but was still very taken by Mac Pyrke's layouts.

Of course what CK didn't mention was "Timsbury Bottom", the layout name that really should have been used.

Just sayin'

I think imagination is important in model railways, I'm currently trying to pretend that part of my garden is on an estuary north of Falmouth, which is quite a stretch!!

What a grand hobby this is.

Simon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I confess - Timsbury Bottom does appeal!

A bit more progress - track power wiring installed - I tried "solderless" below the board for a change- I shall see how it goes - all tested and working.

51832049856_705bcc1996_c.jpg

Point motors next

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Not Jeremy said:

Well, there isn't anywhere called  Simonsbottom, Simonsbath maybe, but I never built a layout based upon said place.

You've just got to own it matey!

And I didn't even mention "chunky halt".....

Titfield Regis? or will Hornby pinch it?

• Like 2