Fast tracks jig.

Julia

My railway related xmas present to myself was a Fast Tracks point filing jig. 

Because of the erratic nature of PostNL, it only arrived today, but having a play with it. WOW! Why did I not do this sooner? It's a work of art. And so simple to use. 

Very much not cheap, it's $60, then half as much in postage, then a tenner in import fees. But Wow. Worth it.

J

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I agree, I have bought a few over the years for different rail types angles and formations. They are great. 
Wayne, Tim Warris of Fast Tracks has some great videos on his site of how to use his tools and jigs

Tom

https://www.handlaidtrack.com/

Edited by Dominion
Site address correction

• RMweb Premium

I didn't read properly. I thought you had the big jig that's about a square foot of aluminium that has enough slots to make a scissors crossover.

I've been to their HQ but never needed the jigs.  Decades ago, I was at Tim's house on a layout tour to see Port Kelsey (I think it was). That even impressed my wife.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Julia,

$60 for each angle..!?  Not sure which gauge you are using, presume HO, but have you considered these jigs?

https://emgs.org/product-category/trackwork-track-furniture/track-jigs/

About 135 euros plus postage and import duty gets you jigs to cover 1:4 to 1:12 for crossing Vs and A~D for switch blades. 

Happy New Year

Patrick

Or the one in Templot thanks to Martin. Only 1 in 5 but printed out it has probably cost me about a pound. There are plans to be able to export the stl’s of a suitable jig for each design as you create it.

Keith

• Informative/Useful 1

25 minutes ago, NFWEM57 said:

Keith,

Printed with 3D printer?

Patrick

Yes I have a fdm printer. Also managed to do a simple bending jig a 1 in 5 Vee soldering jig and a Mk1 blade filling jig. I have also experimented with B to B jigs as well.

Keith

• Thanks 1

On 01/01/2022 at 06:08, NFWEM57 said:

Hi Julia,

$60 for each angle..!?  Not sure which gauge you are using, presume HO, but have you considered these jigs?

https://emgs.org/product-category/trackwork-track-furniture/track-jigs/

About 135 euros plus postage and import duty gets you jigs to cover 1:4 to 1:12 for crossing Vs and A~D for switch blades. 

Happy New Year

Patrick

I model in H0e with code 55 rail. It was my understanding this wouldn't work with the EMGS jigs.

J

I have both a Fastracks 1-6  jigs and one of Martins/Templot 1-5 Vee jogs

Both work very well, The fast tracks jig is designed for flatbottom rail between code 75 and 100, I have used it with code 75 bullhead rail and it works fine. Its double sided and files both the switch and common crossing rails.

Martins/Templot is for code 75 bullhead rail, for vees only though I guess the principal the method would work for switch rails as well

23 minutes ago, hayfield said:

I have both a Fastracks 1-6  jigs and one of Martins/Templot 1-5 Vee jogs

Both work very well, The fast tracks jig is designed for flatbottom rail between code 75 and 100, I have used it with code 75 bullhead rail and it works fine. Its double sided and files both the switch and common crossing rails.

Martins/Templot is for code 75 bullhead rail, for vees only though I guess the principal the method would work for switch rails as well

I have a Mk1 switch rail jig design just printed out. Hope to see if it works soon.

Keith

• Like 1