How many tracks can I have

I'm not sure if anyone has taken a look at my blog about my n gauge layout and the ideas I've had but I'm wondering if anyone can help me.

I'm wanting to have 2 tracks lower than the rest of the lines on my layout but I'm not sure if I will be able to have the 4 higher tracks that I've initially planned for on the top lines.

My question is how many lines can I get with the correct spacings between them on a 11.5 " wide board?

The only thing is that I need the bottom 2 lines to be lower than the rest and have a suitable space between edge of the drop down and where the upper lines start.

any help would be appreciated.

I've included a rough picture that is not to scale of what the board will look like.

post-7145-127659298881.jpg

Peco Streamline tracks in N gauge are at about 27.5mm centres - this is a bit wider than true scale. Six of them would therefore only require 165mm which is a lot less than 11.5". So you should be OK even when you allow space for the wall and for wider gaps between some of your four tracks.

If you are using a different type of track then it could need wider spacings but you should still be able to fit six tracks in.

Peco Streamline tracks in N gauge are at about 27.5mm centres - this is a bit wider than true scale. Six of them would therefore only require 165mm which is a lot less than 11.5". So you should be OK even when you allow space for the wall and for wider gaps between some of your four tracks.

If you are using a different type of track then it could need wider spacings but you should still be able to fit six tracks in.

Thanks for that Edwin that is encouraging and it means I can do the kind of terminus station on the 4 upper lines that I'm thinking of doing.

What about a through station then? Could I get away with that?

I do hope so as with me doing an end to end layout if it means I can only have 2 platforms and 2 through lines then I can live with that.

My own N gauge station has 2.5" for the island platform and 1.5" for the side platform. This is enough width to fit some narrow buildings on each platform without looking too cramped. Using the same dimensions the narrowest type of four-platform station, with two island platforms, would need about 9". This just about gives room for two lower tracks and a retaining wall separating the levels... but there wouldn't be space for anything else on that board!

Based on the same measurements a four-track station with side platforms on the outer tracks would need about 7". Four tracks with two side and one island platform would be 9.5" so probably too wide to get on your board.

You could perhaps narrow the platforms a bit if the buildings are on a bridge with steps down to the platform ends, or indeed for a terminus where the buildings are behind the buffer stops with only a few seats and lamps on the platforms themselves.

I was thinking possibly something like this at Doncaster but without the crossing on the far 2 lines. Something like this shouldn't be that wide to do an still leave enough room for the 2 lower lines shouldn't it?

post-7145-127660360836_thumb.jpg

Yeah no worries Edwin I will take that into consideration then and I think the 7" option will be the option I plump for.

I'm just waiting for the foamboard to arrive before I get cracking on the layout, that should be a couple of days hopefully and then away I go.

I'll just drop the island platform from the plan and it should be ok then and still leave enough room for the 2 freight lines on the lower line.

I'll obviously keep you updated with progress on my blog. Thanks for the help.

Archived