Drop head buck eye couplings.

ozzyo

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Chris-ECT said:

I have had a quick chat with your Cad engineer and she has assured me there is a way to uncouple them using a bar, once the new samples have arrived it will be easier to demonstrate then but over the next few days I'll write up a description 

Gets better and better - how many ales does the bar need/have?

Thanks Chris. 
Coupling up tends to be the easy bit with most systems. Getting them apart is harder. 

I use Kadee couplers on my stock using the in track magnets to solve the uncoupling problem and they work well. 

Will be interesting to see how yours work with Kadee and if the hands free approach to uncoupling is still possible. 

Fingers crossed. 

Edited by two tone green

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/07/2022 at 21:12, Chris-ECT said:

Just a quick note to say I haven't forgotten to show tests of the Drop Head working with Kadees and such. I will be doing the pictures and bits tomorrow so will get them uploaded as soon as 

Looking forward to that. Thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/07/2022 at 20:12, Chris-ECT said:

Just a quick note to say I haven't forgotten to show tests of the Drop Head working with Kadees and such. I will be doing the pictures and bits tomorrow so will get them uploaded as soon as 

Hello Chris,

do you have any updates for us?

OzzyO.

Good afternoon all. Sorry again for the delay in posting, working up to our 2022 Summer Show is quite a task! 

I have taken a few minutes to fix our drop head buckeye to one of the Darstaed Thompson samples and then used a Darstaed  BG fitted with Kadees (as standard) to show how they connect together when both couplings are set at prototypical heights. 

The couplings connect as expected and keep a firm hold of each other. I pushed them back and forwards and gave them some abrupt stop - starting to see if I could get the connection to fail, which they didn't.  I did film this but I cannot upload this video here due to the size. The pair of coaches will remain together and will come on the road with us this year to exhibitions so you can see them and inspect them in person. 

Coup1.jpg

coup2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks for showing how the two fit together. 

How about doing a version of your coupling with an extended trip pin so they can be used with the Kadee magnets allowing uncoupling in the same way as the Kadee ones. 

Of course they won’t be drop head but would be a great very useful replacement for the hook on stock for us who use Kadee’s. 

2 hours ago, two tone green said:

Thanks for showing how the two fit together. 

How about doing a version of your coupling with an extended trip pin so they can be used with the Kadee magnets allowing uncoupling in the same way as the Kadee ones. 

Of course they won’t be drop head but would be a great very useful replacement for the hook on stock for us who use Kadee’s. 

This is something we looked at but if I am correct Kadee have patented their design, with this the main feature of our Buckeyes is the drophead feature, we are still looking into future options

1 hour ago, Chris-ECT said:

This is something we looked at but if I am correct Kadee have patented their design, with this the main feature of our Buckeyes is the drophead feature, we are still looking into future options

Thanks for the feedback. 

It’s the uncoupling side of things that is always the hardest to solve. Lots of great coupling up systems out there but parting stock is not always an easy or particle hands free option on lots of them

Being a long term user of Kadee couplings I am always interested in new versions that offer greater installation flexibility and yours certainly does that using the hook as the mount as lots of locos and stock are difficult to mount Kadee draft boxes on due to space constraints. 

But hope is at hand with your coupling and having ordered a few pairs I am looking forward to playing with them and seeing how they work. 

Thanks for all your efforts in brining this great product to market. 

On 10/08/2022 at 07:32, Chris-ECT said:

Apologies all, the last two week have been chaos in the office with a total move around and show prep for next weekend.

I will make sure to take some stills and if I can get some footage done today I will. 

On 11/08/2022 at 14:48, Chris-ECT said:

Good afternoon all. Sorry again for the delay in posting, working up to our 2022 Summer Show is quite a task! 

I have taken a few minutes to fix our drop head buckeye to one of the Darstaed Thompson samples and then used a Darstaed  BG fitted with Kadees (as standard) to show how they connect together when both couplings are set at prototypical heights. 

The couplings connect as expected and keep a firm hold of each other. I pushed them back and forwards and gave them some abrupt stop - starting to see if I could get the connection to fail, which they didn't.  I did film this but I cannot upload this video here due to the size. The pair of coaches will remain together and will come on the road with us this year to exhibitions so you can see them and inspect them in person. 

Coup1.jpg

coup2.jpg

Hi all at ect when is summer show? Missed last year's due to commitments else where....and at ½ mile walk to shop it should be high priority. 

G

9 hours ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Was just been lazy......and letting ect get a mention for show on rm web....but hayho off to ect.com!

So was I... as I knew I'd seen the details on the website, but couldn't remember them, as I'm too far away to make the trip!! 🙄🤣🤦‍♂️

• Thanks 1

On 13/08/2022 at 19:07, bradfordbuffer said:

Hi all at ect when is summer show? Missed last year's due to commitments else where....and at ½ mile walk to shop it should be high priority. 

G

Evening Bradfordbuffer, the summer show is this coming Saturday the 20th. In usual fashion the award winning coffees will be on tap (other drinks will be available) supporting layout and supporting trade with some demos too! Oh free food and free entry to add! 

9 hours ago, Chris-ECT said:

Evening Bradfordbuffer, the summer show is this coming Saturday the 20th. In usual fashion the award winning coffees will be on tap (other drinks will be available) supporting layout and supporting trade with some demos too! Oh free food and free entry to add! 

I'm in .....! Got me with food!...coffee a bonus!  Model trains can take or leave it!

Missed last year due to last minute commitments....but not missing this year....pending last minute commitments 🤪

• Funny 1

13 hours ago, bradfordbuffer said:

I'm in .....! Got me with food!...coffee a bonus!  Model trains can take or leave it!

Missed last year due to last minute commitments....but not missing this year....pending last minute commitments 🤪

Make sure you say Hello if you make it! 

On 16/08/2022 at 00:22, bradfordbuffer said:

As always Chris!....beats bumping into you on back track to wilderness!....(whilst dog walking ....if other web browsers thought on wrong page!)

G

Well thanks to ECT team for putting on the FREE show with FREE coffee with FREE hog roast FREE cake FREE bus shuttle FREE shopping bag.....and all ½ mile away from home down a big hill! So FREE wheeling on bike!....

G

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Well thanks to ECT team for putting on the FREE show with FREE coffee with FREE hog roast FREE cake FREE bus shuttle FREE shopping bag.....and all ½ mile away from home down a big hill! So FREE wheeling on bike!....

G

And use the battery to get you home uphill.... cheat.....