Swindon Class 123 Intercity Units

On 10/01/2022 at 01:30, The Johnster said:

Not sure that the 104 roof profile matched the mk1 profile of the 123s, and the blue coach in this photo does, exactly.  But there is something that looks like a syp poking into view, and I don't recall the 123s having these offhand; the gangway cover was painted yellow instead.  That said, I don't remember ever seeing a 123 in plain blue livery!

It has full yellow end, the look above the cab front window, the yellow finishes level with the upright side  of the same window not as the later finish with about an inch of yellow beyond the window.

On 10/01/2022 at 01:30, The Johnster said:

Not sure that the 104 roof profile matched the mk1 profile of the 123s, and the blue coach in this photo does, exactly.  But there is something that looks like a syp poking into view, and I don't recall the 123s having these offhand; the gangway cover was painted yellow instead.  That said, I don't remember ever seeing a 123 in plain blue livery!

Are you sure the yellow you are seeing is the yellow end of blue/grey DMC rather than the front of the all blue car behind it?

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Wagonmaster said:

Are you sure the yellow you are seeing is the yellow end of blue/grey DMC rather than the front of the all blue car behind it?

No, I'm assuming it to be an syp on the blue car behind the blue/grey DMC, and that this car is another 123 DMC or DMBS

• RMweb Gold

I used to love the 123s and was allowed to sit in the rear driving cab for a few short minutes by a kindly guard, on a trip to Oxford with my dad, many moons ago.

I reckon the yellow between the 4th and 5th coaches, belongs to the 4th coach, thus making that a 123 driving cab.  By cropping the picture at coach’s far end (more importantly, where the roof ends), I would suggest that the yellow we can see, is the wrap-round element from the cab front.  Notice also, the area of blue between roofline and waist and the white splodge, just below waist level, where one would expect to find the BR logo.  The same colour combo can be seen on the rear coach too (see original image on page 1), so for my money, whatever the all blue coach is, the yellow paint doesn’t belong to it.

Regards

Dan

1620C3BB-BD47-4EDF-953B-6117356B7BB3.jpeg

Edited by Dan Randall

On 03/01/2022 at 21:31, Michael Hodgson said:

Were the gangway boards really yellow in as built condition?

Thought they were originally speed whiskers.

I believe you may be confusing these with the earlier class 126 intercity units.   I think these were used with the corridor driving ends.   Some of these used on the Western Region even had these at both ends of the set.

On 14/01/2022 at 01:58, The Johnster said:

No, I'm assuming it to be an syp on the blue car behind the blue/grey DMC, and that this car is another 123 DMC or DMBS

Small yellow panels were literally that, a panel. They didn't tend to wrap round the cab front and as such, I don't think you would see it, as it would be obscured by the DMC in front of it.

However, I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one!

• RMweb Premium

Stu's photo shows the blue trailer second in this photo, and the caption says it is part of a half set (motor car and trailer) added to a four car unit. I believe this is the same coach in a similar formation (or the same formation) as in Robert's photo.

https://www.railcar.co.uk/images/2385

• 4 weeks later...

Although I haven't posted anything recently, work is slowly progressing on the 123's. Been busy trying to get 'Tommy' up and running! Finally got some retracted buffers for the various cars and fitted them. Inter car coupling is the next job. I usually like to use Kadee couplings with the tails cut off. Non in my stock, so will have to order those and fit them. Then hopefully, I can couple everything up and test run the complete unit.

Headcode lights still need fitting as does some of the interior lighting. Still need to work out the best way of adding the silver cab side window frames that I missed during painting. Oh, and the exhaust pipes need alteration to include the covers!

13 hours ago, Wagonmaster said:

I usually like to use Kadee couplings with the tails cut off. Non in my stock, so will have to order those and fit them.

Steve,

Have you tried the HP0787 couplings from AliExpress? Just search for HP0787 on the AliExpress website. Mine came from the supplier 'Evemodel Store'. Not had any issues with ordering from AliExpress, but it usually takes 2-3 weeks to arrive (there is Tracking though). However, it was Chinese New Year last week so best to wait a week before any orders...

The HP0787 is all plastic so it's a tad easier to 'modify', especially for inter-car couplings where space can be tight. They are also reasonably priced, so making a few errors doesn't cost you too much!

Ian

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Although I have been side tracked with ED1 and 'Tommy', a small amount of work has been carried out on the Class 123. I decided to use a Replica Railways motorised chassis I had to power this unit. The chassis is under one of the centre cars, where I figured it would be less noticeable. I had earmarked this chassis for something else and the wheels were too large. A call to Replica saw a set of replacement 12mm in the post. However, when I came to fit couplings to all the cars, I noticed a big mismatch in ride heights. The motorised car being a good few millimetres higher. Quite obvious as the yellow lining didn't follow through! After a bit of head scratching, I have decided to replace all the bogies with Southern Pride ones so that I can adjust the ride heights easily. I will now have to get a set of B4 and B5 sideframes. The headcode lighting has now been fitted, but the trailer cars still need their underframe detail.

More progress reports in due course