Bovey Quay

Gedward

2 hours ago, Gedward said:

Many thanks John. It's good to be back.

The new spot is Minehead. 60+ years in the big smoke is enough for this man.

Damned site longer than me young man. I only stood it for ten and then decided I'd had enough.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Damned site longer than me young man. I only stood it for ten and then decided I'd had enough.

The last time I moved out of London was 1980, when I took a job in Saudi Arabia for a year. And that was 42 years ago!

• Friendly/supportive 4

4 hours ago, Gedward said:

The last time I moved out of London was 1980, when I took a job in Saudi Arabia for a year. And that was 42 years ago!

In the ten years I was there late eighties it got progressively busier with more and more development occurring. It got so bad at the end that a ten minute journey took four times as long. Best thing I ever did was to move out to Buckinghamshire at the the end of nighties. Don't get me wrong, glad I moved there, which was for work, but wouldn't go back.

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Just completed the hull build and starting the false deck. Followed by the wheelhouse exterior and interior.

02a.jpg

02b.jpg

02c.jpg

02d.jpg

Edited by Gedward
Image edit
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• RMweb Gold

I appreciate you are some way off a layout, but hopefully this Allan Downes masterpiece will help with inspiration. 

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/70935-anything-you-can-do-i-can-do-better-robinson-and-downes/&do=findComment&comment=1577138

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

hopefully this Allan Downes masterpiece will help with inspiration. 

It does and it will.

Unfortunately those 265 associated pages on that link are now going

Look at me.

Go on.

You know you want to.

You'll regret it if you don't,

but you'll also regret it if you do. . . . . .

Dilemma No 1 

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

This week we started on the wheelhouse. The main structure is pretty much there. But still need to make all the window frames and glazing. Today started working on the interior with the helm console.

Then start on the smaller items like switches radio gear. And on the roof lifesaver, lights and then weathering everything. Finally the back may end up being removable to show the interior.

3a.jpg

3b.jpg

3c.jpg

Edited by Gedward
Image edit
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, KNP said:

Smart, I must admit I’m hankering to build another boat for my harbour.

Look forward to seeing the end result 

Thanks Kevin. What I found with the last layout was that I got the most pleasure out of just modelling the structures. So having Polperro as an example, means lots of buildings and of course a sprawl of fishing boats drying in the mud. Oh, and I might just squeeze a railway in there too. :D

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Might I throw something else into the mix alongside Polperro and similar? The part of Saltash that was demolished c1960 when the Tamar road bridge was built? If you haven't done so already, Google "Saltash Waterside"

Alex

Edited by wiggoforgold
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, wiggoforgold said:

Might I throw something else into the mix alongside Polperro and similar? The part of Saltash that was demolished c1960 when the Tamar road bridge was built? If you haven't done so already, Google "Saltash Waterside"

Alex

Thanks for that Alex. I've just ordered the book 'Saltash through time'.

Although I'll probably use Polperro as the main location in terms of geography and harbour layout. I've been trawling through everywhere looking for some interesting prototypes. And for this layout, I'm not limiting myself to just Devon and Cornwall either. In this diorama, my primary criteria is whether it looks right.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, wiggoforgold said:

Should it ever take your fancy, I've got a few pictures of the old Passage House Inn at Saltash  before half of it was demolished I can send you.

Brilliant Alex, please do. Can't have a harbour without the odd pub now can we?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

How will you finish the hull, George? The old-fashioned way, with tissue and dope or something more modern?

Thanks John

I've not used dope since the 70s. I'm using OSMO wood filler, followed by acrylic paint.  This is supposed to be a working trawler so like everything on this layout, it will be properly weathered.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Gedward said:

Thanks John

I've not used dope since the 70s. I'm using OSMO wood filler, followed by acrylic paint.  This is supposed to be a working trawler so like everything on this layout, it will be properly weathered.

Including the smell of the sea and salt spray, ah! enhale that wonderful aroma of a working harbour, deisel staining the water, old crabs, barnacles....

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, John Besley said:

Including the smell of the sea and salt spray, ah! enhale that wonderful aroma of a working harbour, deisel staining the water, old crabs, barnacles....

This harbour will be modelled at low tide. So will include the mud, the ropes and chains, the buoys, the seaweed, the moss, the small trapped pools of sea water, the sea gulls.

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1