Bovey Quay

Gedward

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, KNP said:

Very nice looking model boat, just a shame you're going to have to cut the bottom off to make it waterline version for the railway...

or are you going to have real water in the harbour?

:jester::jester::jester:

Nurse, hacksaw.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Being serious for a moment (yes really), if there's a big enough tidal range where you're modelling then you could show her bottomed out at low tide.  Depicting all the wet silt with runnels of water through it, mooring chains, various bits of detritus on the harbour bed...

Could look very interesting!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Being serious for a moment (yes really), if there's a big enough tidal range where you're modelling then you could show her bottomed out at low tide.  Depicting all the wet silt with runnels of water through it, mooring chains, various bits of detritus on the harbour bed...

Could look very interesting!

Exactly what I have in mind for Bovey Quay.

This harbour will be modelled at low tide. So will include the mud, the ropes and chains, the buoys, the seaweed, the moss, the small trapped pools of sea water, the sea gulls.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, John Besley said:

Kadee couplers, OK I know they're not 3 link but do allow for fully hands off running...

I've been doing a fair bit perusing Kadee couplings. Thinking that's the smart way to go. Might swap out their magnets for something a bit smaller and more discreet though.

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Gedward said:

I've been doing a fair bit perusing Kadee couplings. Thinking that's the smart way to go. Might swap out their magnets for something a bit smaller and more discreet though.

I think they work if you hide them right under the height of the rail it's self... Worth experimentation 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, John Besley said:

I think they work if you hide them right under the height of the rail it's self... Worth experimentation 

Problem solved. As the track in the dockside will be set in tarmac covered cobbles. It should be relatively easy to disguise the magnets. As I won't be using any granular ballast.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Gedward said:

This afternoon sees the finished deck in place. Apart from final weathering and filth which will be added much later. I think I'll make a start on the winch next. That should be interesting.

010a.jpg

010b.jpg

I thought for a minute from that first picture that you had built two!!!! Then common sense prevailed :rolleyes:

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

I just remembered painting this back in 1980. During my year abroad, working in Saudi Arabia. Just a little scene in the grounds of my villa.

But posting here today as it seemed so poignant and meaningful.

Sunflower01.JPG.6e6d8fb5b18cec139689e11dc7860ddc.JPG

Edited by Gedward
  • Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 5

On 17/02/2022 at 15:19, Graham T said:

Lucky you're not modelling present day - you'd have to put a load of shopping trolleys in there!

But he wouldn't have a fishing fleet to model. Just a few sail dinghies and maybe a jet ski...:D

Rather like my modern image branch station theory. Either lots of RTP houses or Stobart artic's.

• Funny 1

5 hours ago, Gedward said:

I just remembered painting this back in 1980. During my year abroad, working in Saudi Arabia. Just a little scene in the grounds of my villa.

Sunflower01.JPG

I do like the depth and space between the features in that painting.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Gedward said:

Sunflower01.JPG

The national flower of Ukraine, as I'm sure you realised George.

Very nice painting.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Graham T said:

The national flower of Ukraine, as I'm sure you realised George.

Very nice painting.

Yes of course, that's the only reason I posted this very old painting which I almost forgot about. Mind you it was 42 years ago.

• Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Gedward said:

Sunflower01.JPG

If you had posted that picture and asked everyone to guess where you painted it, I would never have said Saudi Arabia.

I now expect some knowledgeable RMWebber is going to tell me that the picture just oozes Saudi Arabia.

• Funny 1

I just liked the painting, I wouldn't have known where it was painted. Having worked in Lugansk and having friends over here of Ukrainian descent, I'm finding the whole thing a bit too close to home.

• Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

Well modelling on Bovey Quay has ground to a bit of a halt. But thankfully my mojo is firmly still in place. Right now, all my attention has turned to getting this house ready to  market next month. Lots still till do, not least, clearing out 24 years of ’stuff’ in the loft. Then will need to splash some paint here and there. And generally get this place ship shape for the photographer.

• Friendly/supportive 6