Bovey Quay

Gedward

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Graham T said:

That's a big harbour wall.  I'm guessing the one you build won't be quite so high George?

The jury is still out on that one. It depends on the height of the masts in the end. I don't want to keep fouling them whilst reaching across.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Gedward said:

The jury is still out on that one. It depends on the height of the masts in the end. I don't want to keep fouling them whilst reaching across.

I suppose it depends also on the tidal highs and lows for the wall, low tide would give you a higher wall.

• Agree 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'm in the process of relocating from the big smoke to Minehead, Somerset, as most of you know. And my modelling supplies and tools have all been packed away. So I've been biding my time with the other hobby, oil painting. As the backdrop for my last layout, Bovey Tor worked out quite well.

So now working on small studies for the Bovey Quay backdrop. At least I feel like I'm moving things forward anyway. This is a WIP of a scene taken in Minehead.

IMG_8280.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 3

Hi George,

I was only thinking this week about Bovey Tor as I am reading a Rosamunde Pilcher novel that has a Bovey in it. week

Glad to see you back on here. Lovely piece of painting. Hope the move to Minehead goes / is going well.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Fishplate said:

Hi George,

I was only thinking this week about Bovey Tor as I am reading a Rosamunde Pilcher novel that has a Bovey in it. week

Glad to see you back on here. Lovely piece of painting. Hope the move to Minehead goes / is going well.

Hey there Fishplate,

That's good to hear. Not sure what to do about the missing pics on here and Bovey Tor? Are we supposed to re upload everything or wait for the servers to refresh?

With regards to the move. We've been on the market for a few months and waiting for a buyer. As you know, I can't make offers on properties down there, until I do. So it's just a case of fingers crossed. But I'm sure it'll all work out.

BTW, I painted the last backdrop on MDF panels. Using bendy MDF in the corners. As I'm not a big fan of corners in skies. These were all fixed in place to the wall with the gaps plastered. But it was a real struggle to paint the scene whilst reaching over the layout and not something I would want to repeat. So this time round, I'm intending to paint the whole scene on a roll of fine canvas. Then I'll paste that on to a frame around the layout.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Gedward said:

Hey there Fishplate,

That's good to hear. Not sure what to do about the missing pics on here and Bovey Tor? Are we supposed to re upload everything or wait for the servers to refresh?

With regards to the move. We've been on the market for a few months and waiting for a buyer. As you know, I can't make offers on properties down there, until I do. So it's just a case of fingers crossed. But I'm sure it'll all work out.

BTW, I painted the last backdrop on MDF panels. Using bendy MDF in the corners. As I'm not a big fan of corners in skies. These were all fixed in place to the wall with the gaps plastered. But it was a real struggle to paint the scene whilst reaching over the layout and not something I would want to repeat. So this time round, I'm intending to paint the whole scene on a roll of fine canvas. Then I'll paste that on to a frame around the layout.

George, good to see you back.

As I understand things, any photos that were posted between June 2021 and March 2022 inclusive are lost and gone forever, so will have to be reposted if you wish to see them again here.

Photos posted before the end of May 2021 will, we are assured, reappear in due course although it is taking a very long time and things seem to have paused altogether recently.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

George, good to see you back.

As I understand things, any photos that were posted between June 2021 and March 2022 inclusive are lost and gone forever, so will have to be reposted if you wish to see them again here.

Photos posted before the end of May 2021 will, we are assured, reappear in due course although it is taking a very long time and things seem to have paused altogether recently.

Hey John, good to be back.

Thanks for the info. I think I could take the time uploading the images here and on Bovey Tor. Nothing like the amount of time you've had to spend though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

An update on this study for my next backdrop. I think we're about 2/3 there now.

I had to make a couple of frames for some other work this week. So it made sense to make them all at the same time. It's actually a really good way to judge the tonal values once in a temporary frame though.

Miney_01c.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
On 01/07/2022 at 19:13, Gedward said:

Hey there Fishplate,

Interesting, my own back scene is on MDF fixed to batterns on the wall in my garage... The corner by the fiddle yard / traverser is curved as that is visible behind ' The Long Shop' there is a joint right in the middle of the backscene which is central to the layout.

This was put up in November / December and has now developed a vertical split dispite screwing and filling the joint flush....  I am tempted to leave it and see how it goes over the next 6 months .... Will it close up in the winter or stay the same.

At some point I will have to sand it down and repaint it to get it right.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, John Besley said:

Interesting, my own back scene is on MDF fixed to batterns on the wall in my garage... The corner by the fiddle yard / traverser is curved as that is visible behind ' The Long Shop' there is a joint right in the middle of the backscene which is central to the layout.

This was put up in November / December and has now developed a vertical split dispite screwing and filling the joint flush....  I am tempted to leave it and see how it goes over the next 6 months .... Will it close up in the winter or stay the same.

At some point I will have to sand it down and repaint it to get it right.

The one difference between yours and mine is that mine was in a 'bedroom' and so not so likely to warp and twist.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm considering producing a slightly 3D backdrop. By using modelling paste, clay or plaster. Not sure what but this way it will help build the contours and try to blur the edge of the back scene and the model.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Gedward said:

I'm considering producing a slightly 3D backdrop. By using modelling paste, clay or plaster. Not sure what but this way it will help build the contours and try to blur the edge of the back scene and the model.

Can you do a stage by stage process as I like the idea of that.... Many years ago back in the 60's as a small boy I saw the displays on the history of lighting at the Science Museum and was struck by the way that had built them as interactive and the apparent depth to infinity

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, John Besley said:

Can you do a stage by stage process as I like the idea of that.... Many years ago back in the 60's as a small boy I saw the displays on the history of lighting at the Science Museum and was struck by the way that had built them as interactive and the apparent depth to infinity

Yep, no problem happy to. But won't be for a while yet as I haven't found my next railway room yet.

BTW, I remember that display exactly as you described. But my sister and I got the most fun from the red door that automatically opened on approach.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...