New Martin Street PLA/GER goods depot

I have deviated from the kit by putting the roof inside the walls instead of on top

143.jpeg.32b85d05b0a02c31591ba4c54c36f276.jpeg Sorry but the photos are downloading incorrectly

144.jpeg.afa220c9c5b3674354e6fb8e9ac7c462.jpeg

I bought a couple of slate sheets to try out

145.jpeg.bbcbdbc3f153bb977733998966f7cd2c.jpeg

After fitting a plasticard soffit I have started on tiling 

143.jpeg

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Following this with interest, looking very good so far. 

According to the Great Eastern Society Journal, no 40, the line was built to service the wool warehouse at London Docks,  with a hoist at the southern end to connect to the sidings within the Dock.

So as well as lots of GE 5 plank wagons, mostly with wagon sheets,  backed up by GE outside frame vans you could have few of the GE's rather nice dedicated wool wagons (see journal 45!).

The depot itself was leased by the London & St Katherine Dock Co from 1880, so that probably justifies a wider variety of wagons from other pre-grouping companies. The GN, Midland, LNWR and Tilbury all had depots of their own nearby.

Hope some of that helps!

It's well worth joining the society if you haven't already,  btw. It's not expensive and there's a wealth of material available at very reasonable costs, including reprints of journals. (Sales pitch over!:D)

ICW

Thank you very much for that interesting information, I knew the Branch was owned by the PLA but run by the GER, also that St Katherines Dock was only able to accept smaller ships. Yes I plan to buy some GER vans and wagons, but also vans from other companies, as many had goods depots close by for access to the docks. I would like a splattering of wagon stock from other companies

My main interest is loco kits especially from the south and west areas, but I have quite an eclectic collection and it could equally have SR, GWR & LNWR  days. But GER will be its intended use as the main layout is based on Bodmin which will use the GWR and LSWR stock   

• Like 1

146.jpeg.bf7df2df751530595d012ba17b95276a.jpegSorry some photos are now downloading incorectly

147.jpeg.64f2d7cac2ebd5fdcec7aad46978deae.jpeg

The roof has been slated, chimney pots, gutters and down pipes fitted

148.jpeg.b78fa104fced80cdfc99ddb458766124.jpeg

Waiting to go into the paint shop. The roof slates could have been done better and may have a few rows replaced but as a first attempt I am quite pleases with the effect. I should be doing other things. At least its too wet for the allotment

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

5 minutes ago, icw said:

That's looking very good,  very impressed by that shop front!

Thanks but the shop front is in the basic kit, these are really very good value from Fair Price Models, £6.50 plus half a sheet of tiles, The shop fronts are available separately (I guess if you are clever you could make a corner shop). They are great value and very versatile 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125003110033?hash=item1d1ac41691:g:HTUAAOSwU-1hkWXu

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, hayfield said:

146.jpeg.fab4fb7c691ff5eb702fdf2856c68cfe.jpeg  147.jpeg.65ff60e9d96cfec8d3e454c3e5b98b2b.jpeg

The roof has been slated, chimney pots, gutters and down pipes fitted

148.jpeg.8cc25093900b78df536c52091c1d7fec.jpeg

Waiting to go into the paint shop. The roof slates could have been done better and may have a few rows replaced but as a first attempt I am quite pleases with the effect. I should be doing other things. At least its too wet for the allotment

A bit of cheat is to creat a table as  word document with rows the same as the required tile spacing - print on thin paper and use on the roof.

Chris

More fantastic modelling! You're definitely making good use of these semi-kits,  it shows just how much quicker they make things whilst still allowing a lot of flexibility.

Any chance of an seeing overall photo of the layout in it's current state? I think we've only seen one end or the other recently ;)

14 hours ago, Gilbert said:

A bit of cheat is to creat a table as  word document with rows the same as the required tile spacing - print on thin paper and use on the roof.

Chris

Chris

That's a good idea, or just simply work out the row spacing and draw in the lines. A simple mistake/learning curve, I think I just need to remove 3 or 4 rows. Like anything the first attempt shows up issues

• Like 1

On 19/02/2022 at 22:59, TechnicArrow said:

More fantastic modelling! You're definitely making good use of these semi-kits,  it shows just how much quicker they make things whilst still allowing a lot of flexibility.

Any chance of an seeing overall photo of the layout in it's current state? I think we've only seen one end or the other recently ;)

Sorry but nothing has happened, the past two weeks have been a bit slow as the in-laws stayed for a couple of weeks, now I have a few other things unrelated to my layouts on the work bench

126.jpeg.b72823faec68cd43e7f76c708884b5a7.jpeg

The next few jobs are to extend and  to make free standing the two story warehouse then to sort out the roofs and detailing of the larger warehouse. I also need to reconcile how to model the area between the rear warehouse and shop. It could be a large retaining wall, or just build as I originally planned a much lower warehouse

I have reconciled the backscenes I am going to use ply as I have reservations on painting plastic soffit boards, this is holding up everything else

Also I will be looking at the Turnout relay actuators produced by Richard who is building Bexhill West, again it would be far easier to fit these before the track is fixed in place

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Chris

That's a good idea, or just simply work out the row spacing and draw in the lines. A simple mistake/learning curve, I think I just need to remove 3 or 4 rows. Like anything the first attempt shows up issues

I certainly struggle with spacing and getting them parallel without something to assist. I had a look at those kits and I've ordered a couple to have a play with...

Chris

• RMweb Gold

This is a lovely layout, much removed from my own  rural adventures.

There should be some interesting photo opportunities especially from 'street level'. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gilbert said:

I certainly struggle with spacing and getting them parallel without something to assist. I had a look at those kits and I've ordered a couple to have a play with...

Chris

Chris

These are great kits, easy to build, but I guess if you use printed papers the joins may need filling and sanding flat. With textured sheets they should not show. Like everything the more you put into them the more you get out. Please show us your results

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Chris

These are great kits, easy to build, but I guess if you use printed papers the joins may need filling and sanding flat. With textured sheets they should not show. Like everything the more you put into them the more you get out. Please show us your results

May not be immediate but I plan to use styrene as the covering layer.

Another Fair Price models kits arrived today

149.jpeg.e3f079266f1842806036013bd16d60bc.jpeg150.jpeg.a06863a17d6578624ed33e6c4e2d8e76.jpeg

The kit and basic instructions

151.jpeg.ae626e536cce11a5e9295d79cf2f402f.jpeg152.jpeg.52febe766341fb38ebe991f2a4506a43.jpeg

The frets plus unseen plastic glazing, Its just dawned on me that the doors can be at either end. The windows are a two piece fret

As you can see great value at £12.49 including postage (£10.50 net)

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

7 minutes ago, Kevin Johnson said:

John that looks like a good kit and at that price it's a steal. :good:

Kevin 

I think many modellers are like me and struggle to to be able to make a series of windows in line with each other and straight, as for the windows themselves they are works of art, like pieces of lace. Yes they are in my opinion excellent value.

Being scratch build aids they do lend themselves to modification, in this one I may need to build a small plinth as it might be a tad short, but seems to be nigh on the exact width I require. Its a pity I do not have any of the printed texture sheeting, which would make construction even easier. But its wrong to call them basic kits when you look at what you get with the pub/shop kit

But with any model it depends on both the quality of the build and the skill of both detailing and painting. Its a pity the model does not have space for some terrace housing

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

155.jpeg.5243e9a6b3ef3ddb8ff84cfd3974b4d5.jpeg

Things have got in the way this week, I have put the basic shell together and tried it out for size

156.jpeg.83bd8fa25feaf82666c816db7220a663.jpeg

Its the correct width, but I think needs beefing up a bit, certainly a bit more depth and may be a little more height. I will make a temporary side out of card, but the signal box idea may look a bit funny if its too tall ?

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, hayfield said:

Its the correct width, but I think needs beefing up a bit, certainly a bit more depth and may be a little more height. I will make a temporary side out of card, but the signal box idea may look a bit funny if its too tall ?

That warehouse does fit snugly doesn't it! To give it some more height, how about putting it on a slight embankment - if the road/yard was elevated at the backscene, it's plausible the warehouse could stay on a level pedestal as the road/yard drops down to baseboard level in front of it.

As for the signal box, of course you can always mock it up first, but if a full 'box is too big/tall then maybe just a signal gantry? It'd still help to break up the hole-in-the-sky.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, TechnicArrow said:

That warehouse does fit snugly doesn't it! To give it some more height, how about putting it on a slight embankment - if the road/yard was elevated at the backscene, it's plausible the warehouse could stay on a level pedestal as the road/yard drops down to baseboard level in front of it.

As for the signal box, of course you can always mock it up first, but if a full 'box is too big/tall then maybe just a signal gantry? It'd still help to break up the hole-in-the-sky.

I thought about this but the height will not be too much, but by making it deeper the height could be quite a bit higher. A signal gantry is a good idea, I may have a Ratio one in the loft, thanks a very good call

157.jpeg.e61c0c5be18ff4900a5d10434368c6c8.jpeg

I think the deeper building looks better, I also found an old (broken) Airfix signal gantry, a cut down one in both length and height may be better. Or a single signal on the nearside and a two post junction one on the far side might be more balanced

158.jpeg.7124210b2eeb97a3038cc3dc68589465.jpeg

The curved viaduct opposite a straight road and building creates a crescent piece of wasteland, perhaps either an enclosed lever frame or a very small (platform style) signal box could fill up some space, how about a wooden trestle type structure, or just widen the viaduct ? 

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Enjoying following your progress.

Thanks for the tip off on Fair Price models - just ordered both of their 7mm low relief industrial buildings - they seem very good value for money.

regards,

James

23 minutes ago, jamest said:

Hi,

Enjoying following your progress.

Thanks for the tip off on Fair Price models - just ordered both of their 7mm low relief industrial buildings - they seem very good value for money.

regards,

James

James

Thanks

Please do share them on this thread as it would be nice to see how they build up

• Agree 1