New Martin Street PLA/GER goods depot

• RMweb Premium

I'll second that vote of thanks for the recommendation of Fair Price Models. I've just received a fivers worth of terraced house shop kit which while described as 'scratch aid' will give me a considerable head start at a cracking price. Thanks John.

1 minute ago, Neil said:

I'll second that vote of thanks for the recommendation of Fair Price Models. I've just received a fivers worth of terraced house shop kit which while described as 'scratch aid' will give me a considerable head start at a cracking price. Thanks John.

Neil

Its always nice to be able to recommend products that you have found to be of good use, perhaps a new thread of "what I have done with my Fair Priced Models kit"  I have no connection with the business other than being a satisfied customer

As you say it gives a really good head start, but calling it a scratch builders aid kit is a bit of an understatement

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

March is flying by and New Martin Street has been in a sort of limbo for several reasons, firstly I am still in several minds about the side and backscene walls

Secondly I have been talking with James Walters of Bexhill West fame about the servo actuators he uses

167.jpeg.17335314357ce8c0223444bf5dbbf3f7.jpeg168.jpeg.5f3de0463d03a3ddebce7dfc8b4797c1.jpeg

James sent me some samples (plus a few other 3D printed goodies) and they look just the job, above are the actuators with one microswitch built in, James also does one with 2 microswitches. I can now both learn how to use servo point motors and fit some on the base board

169.jpeg.f9f30afdd7d76fbe0af7dca91436dccb.jpeg171.jpeg.03f37b173c0dfcad082adce00df8c0bf.jpeg

Above is an actuator without a microswitch and the control board (I have not read the instructions but I think it controls up to 4 units. More on this in the future

170.jpeg.d5de8bb42959b41da4d31a3ceefb1344.jpeg

James also makes a ballast hover  https://makeitminiature.bigcartel.com/  Worth a look

James YouTube channel   also worth a look to see some very creative modelling

Edited by hayfield
  • Informative/Useful 1

• hayfield changed the title to New Martin Street (GER) goods depot (I am trying to retrieve lost photos)

The past 3 days I have been slowly adding back the photo's that went missing, sorry for any mistakes that have crept in but I guess most will only occasionally look back

172.jpeg.73ed07b2f495723d002f26226938e238.jpeg

I could not resist this one, this is one of Keyser's bodyline kits in this case fitting a Hornby Dublo R1 chassis. In my opinion excedening well built and painted

173.jpeg.d26c87661e6bb7f39ec3bed361e1f7de.jpeg

Both body and chassis have been further detailed with Romford wheels and scale coupling rods added, a snip at £35 inc postage

Short Term I will fit EM gauge axles and use axle washers to take out the added side play, I am hoping this will not foul the added detail (brake gear and sand pipes)

Over time I may build a new etched chassis and add a can motor and gearbox

Secondly Take it back to GNR livery as there was a GNR goods depot near, there must have been exchange working wround the docks

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

What a crazy 3 months and the only bit of modelling was to finish some trackwork I was working on

Firstly the GER S56 made it back on the bench

174.jpeg.70feb36eedc4739b59c2b9025158a6e2.jpeg

I have changed the 16mm wheels to 15mm ones, the trouble is I have 4 x 10 spoke and 2 x 16 spoke. I will phone Markits in the morning. At worst I will buy a set of Gibson's

I have also levelled up the chassis to the body and fitted mounting screws and cut the footplate back a bit above the front wheels

I may still fit Gibson wheels as they are much finer, its just Romford's are so much easier to fit

175.jpeg.472e72094c2a3c7cf3863254b6458971.jpeg

I obtained a High Level Road Runner + and a drive stretcher so I can power the rear wheels keeping the main gear train away from the fire box. I also bought 2 worms a 1mm to fit a Chinese 12mm coreless motor and a 1.5mm in case I need to fit a Mashima

Finally I spoke with Dave (Chris P Bacon of this parish about a J50 chassis he supplies

176.jpeg.0d0bfb1682608f131ab98a41e817e936.jpeg

Its for the super detailed K's J50 I bought, the chassis is designed for the Lima model which is 1mm longer and has thinner walls, the chassis needs shortening by 6mm and the inbuilt 00 gauge spacers need removing. The K's model has a milled brass chassis designed to take the X03 motor. I will re-use the Romford wheels and fit a can motor

• Like 2

3 months ago I I mentioned the Make it Miniature servo powered turnout actuator and easy to use control unit

167.jpeg.5a08f181979bf86cc17bd192be27e106.jpeg169.jpeg.16a59e01aa3c543d1107de44e6573548.jpeg 

Well James has produced a You Tube video worth watching

Another video showing a couple of his locos working along two of the platforms through P4 hand built turnouts. There are 2 seasons to watch, Richards buildings are fantastic. Bexhill West started out in 00 gauge, but Richard was soon disillusioned with 00 and is in the process of converting it to P4 gauge

I had a chat and Richard told me he has designed some laser cut railway buildings, knowing the standards he works to they will be super, some may even be available to order

171.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

17 hours ago, hayfield said:

3 months ago I I mentioned the Make it Miniature servo powered turnout actuator and easy to use control unit

167.jpeg.5a08f181979bf86cc17bd192be27e106.jpeg169.jpeg.16a59e01aa3c543d1107de44e6573548.jpeg 

Well James has produced a You Tube video worth watching

Another video showing a couple of his locos working along two of the platforms through P4 hand built turnouts. There are 2 seasons to watch, Richards buildings are fantastic. Bexhill West started out in 00 gauge, but Richard was soon disillusioned with 00 and is in the process of converting it to P4 gauge

I had a chat and Richard told me he has designed some laser cut railway buildings, knowing the standards he works to they will be super, some may even be available to order

171.jpeg

Sorry about forgetting to include this link which shows both the attraction of this cleverly designed 3D printed unit and its simplicity of use

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...

New Martin Street has been on the back burner for several reasons, but with the sun shinning I thought I would spend a few hours outside

177.jpeg.70f2bdcd9c7a297b0de1af3911aa3894.jpeg

Access holes were cut into the base board, then a simple wooden frame was added. Finally the backscene boards were cut from 400mm plastic soffit boards (a gift from a friend)

178.jpeg.3833ff62cd2b2da2d72a09487785836d.jpeg

The ends are tacked on, as access holes will have to be cut. The viaduct track base is temporally held up, I hope to get some risers cut to size on Tuesday when I visit the workshop 

179.jpeg.c92eecb9481e7c7b50c9646576ca6670.jpeg

I am no photographer, no matter what angle I take photos they look rubbish

• Like 8

Buildings back in place temporally 

180.jpeg.35b3ba7be6510ee6dee2e8452489356c.jpeg

The next job is to get the risers cut and fitted, however I need to fit the relay turnout actuators and decide on cable runs

181.jpeg.c8153abdb05b896c3e64d81453953c74.jpeg182.jpeg.9ec3e7e9fc85ac9592581a85fced862c.jpeg

Two more of my not very good photographic skills

• Like 17

• hayfield changed the title to New Martin Street PLA/GER goods depot
  • 2 weeks later...

Work has been on and off as far as new Martin Street is concerned

Firstly when it was too hot I just could not be bothered to do anything

Secondly the electronic control board I was given was faulty and I am waiting for a replacement

Most of all I was waiting for these little beauties to arrive, well worth the wait.

183.jpeg.e6aad7323952e6305dbcf1c67eb124b5.jpeg

To those in the know they are the wonderful Exactoscale turnout operating units, like gold dust, In todays term they are over engineered. They were not cheap as the seller (who I bought 2 other items) had no idea of what they are but seemed to price things similarly 

186.jpeg.838a6cbfbce57a4ae2049ef70a08e277.jpeg 

It might have been a different thing had the items had the correct card headers

184.jpeg.bbeefa8742d445e41c4e21a03bd81c22.jpeg

As you can see each packet is full of etched and engineered parts

185.jpeg.087e7294ea14fa3f70d457c2ce7cb2d0.jpeg

This exploded plan shows how the units are built up and the drilling guide (I bought one back in the late 70's / early 80's)

You don't really need the drilling guide it just helps

I already have 3 EM/P4 units already but was saving then for Bodmin, I have quite a few 00 gauge ones which probably will be OK for EM gauge. these units go between the timbers after you cut away the 1/8th track bed and once installer are hidden by a piece of card with ballast stuck to it

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 2

• 9 months later...

Yes and no. I have had other projects which had to take priority, these are nearly finished.

For over a year I have in the background been considering fitting servos to work the turnouts. I have been given super little servo switch units, but for a year could not make the electronics work. At Expo EM I bought a trial stand alone servo electrical operating unit from Dingo Servo Mounts and after a bit of tuition at Railex I can now work these servos

The next job is to fit some very old Exactoscale turnout operating units, just having a rest from a bit or modelling burnout which had dulled my enthusiasm somewhat

Other things have moved on a bit, A friend gave me a part built K's J72, he refused any form of payment, however I sold off the chassis bits and gave him £24 (which I think is what they are worth) and bought a Mainly Trains chassis and set of Gibson wheels to EM it, plus bought a beautifully built, painted and lined SEF J72 built to 00 gauge, I have a spare SEF etched chassis, I will reuse the wheels but change the D13 motor to a can motor and a modern gearbox

In short work restarts very soon on both track electrics/electronics and loco chassis building. Desperately need a rest from building track

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

Quite a few months have passed with me having a rest from railway modelling, at Scale forum at least two people asked me when I will be getting on with New Martin Street. So I thought I better get on with it, tomorrow I will be going back to the L&B coach workshop in Colchester so I will be starting back in earnest at the end of the week, especially as James Walters will be on my case over the servo point motors (otherwise I am in for a bit of detention).

First up I need to fit the Exactoscale turnout operating units, so I will need to dig them out

I have bought a GER E22 (LNER J65) etched body kit and John Redrup sold me a London Road Models chassis. So stock is being slowly acquired

More in a few days 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...