Hornby 2022 - Licences & Collectables

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
On 16/01/2022 at 12:17, 1andrew1 said:

The only issue I have with some of the fake/licensed/promotional liveries is that as a kid, I thought when I bought a BirdsEye Van or a BP tanker, I was buying an authentic model. I learned later in life that I hadn't.

I still believe in Santa, though it seems every year presents arrive later and my wallet gets smaller.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 14/01/2022 at 07:42, Ruffnut Thorston said:

Tri-ang (Lines Bros. Group) had a deal with Shell.

Shell supplied lubrication oil in small bottles which has labels for FROG (flying model aircraft), Scalextric, Tri-ang Railways, and probably Minic Motorways (oil bottles were supplied with the cars, but I don’t recall seeing a Minic Motorways label?)

Sorry for the late reply but only just seen this. Here is a pic of a Minic Motorway bottle. I also have a couple of round ones and also a Vacuum Oil Company bottle for Triang Trains sold in Australia.

IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0217.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

It takes a time to become aware which liveries are a. although of recognizeable products, unlikely to be authentic railway liveries and b. those that are totally fictional. Sometimes it is the use of an inappropriate vehicle that gives them away. It took me a time to realize that many of the Burnham MRC fund-raiser PO wagons were in fictional liveries for companies that never owned wagons.

On 17/02/2022 at 06:27, Pmorgancym said:

Will the COCA Cola stuff be marketed as 'Inspired by Pepsi' I wonder

Psst. Coca Cola was going before Pepsi....

1886 to be precise against Pepsi arriving in 1893 (no being called Pepsi until 1898).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepsi

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca-Cola

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Chris M said:

I'm just wondering what would happen if you filled a milk tanker with Coca Cola and then took it on a long journey so it got nicely shook up for a few hours?  Would it survive?  What would happen when you opened it?

Maybe something for a Sam's trains episode? :D He has already done some funny tests!

Edited by Johan DC
Typo
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Chris M said:

I'm just wondering what would happen if you filled a milk tanker with Coca Cola and then took it on a long journey so it got nicely shook up for a few hours?  Would it survive?  What would happen when you opened it?

No doubt many have already seen this, maybe one or two have tried it.....

• Funny 3

Like them or not, fictitious PO wagons are part of our hobby's history, from pre-war Hornby 0 gauge banana and mustard vans through Peco wonderful wagons to the present day.   There are probably a number of modellers who would have been lost to the hobby had such wagons not formed part of their youthful experience. 

I am slowly working my way through my collection of wagon kits to make my goods trains more authentic - but that doesn't stop me from running some of these "fun" wagons, which will be of more interest to the grandchildren than another anonymous grey 5 plank wagon.

• Like 5

On 19/02/2022 at 08:06, phil_sutters said:

It takes a time to become aware which liveries are a. although of recognizeable products, unlikely to be authentic railway liveries and b. those that are totally fictional. Sometimes it is the use of an inappropriate vehicle that gives them away. It took me a time to realize that many of the Burnham MRC fund-raiser PO wagons were in fictional liveries for companies that never owned wagons.

I think that Hornby should state on the box that the model is in a fictional livery. I thought that the Hornby R60032 BR conflat A. Tri-ang was a fictional livery until I saw a picture of the prototype with a BR 2-6-4T.  A manufacturer of garden railways did make a model of a wine tank wagon with a tap on it that you could fill with wine.  I was thinking of buying one until I saw that it cost around £90 so I suppose Hornby could make a similar Coca Cola tank wagon.

45 minutes ago, 2750Papyrus said:

fictitious PO wagons are part of our hobby's history, from pre-war Hornby 0 gauge banana and mustard vans

The idea began right back at the start of commercial model railways in the 1910s, possibly the first mass-produced ones being those bearing Bassett-Lowke's own liveries, and one for the True Form Boot Company of Northampton, which was owned by the Sears family, with whom the B-L's were friends. The first Chairman of the B-L model company was a Mr Sears, a little older and more experienced in business that W J B-L himself.

Oddly enough, the very rare Hornby tinplate mustard van wasn't fictional, it was a pretty good representation of a real livery, which had already been reproduced on a better van by Carette for B-L before WW1. Which shows how hard it can be to sort the wheat from the chaff.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, great central said:

No doubt many have already seen this, maybe one or two have tried it.....

The same thing happens if you put sugar in it. When I was a kid many years ago, my brother and I used to put a spoon full of sugar into a cup full of coke, it used to do exactly that with all the carbon dioxide being released and the coke tasting like a coke cordial.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, sandwich station said:

The same thing happens if you put sugar in it. When I was a kid many years ago, my brother and I used to put a spoon full of sugar into a cup full of coke, it used to do exactly that with all the carbon dioxide being released and the coke tasting like a coke cordial.

A sugar cube in the neck of a glass coke bottle then a little shake is great fun.

5 hours ago, 2750Papyrus said:

Like them or not, fictitious PO wagons are part of our hobby's history, from pre-war Hornby 0 gauge banana and mustard vans through Peco wonderful wagons to the present day.   There are probably a number of modellers who would have been lost to the hobby had such wagons not formed part of their youthful experience. 

I am slowly working my way through my collection of wagon kits to make my goods trains more authentic - but that doesn't stop me from running some of these "fun" wagons, which will be of more interest to the grandchildren than another anonymous grey 5 plank wagon.

Yep. Still got a few from when I was a kid.

Kit-Kat, Weetabix, Smiths Crisps. McVities, Bird's Eye, etc. might try and pick up the rest from that era to complete the set. Just for fun mind, and only if they are cheap on stalls.

I always wanted one of these for some strange reason. I probably wouldn't even eat Polo's now though.

spacer.png

Photo Hattons

Jason

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
On 20/02/2022 at 22:36, Steamport Southport said:

Yep. Still got a few from when I was a kid.

Kit-Kat, Weetabix, Smiths Crisps. McVities, Bird's Eye, etc. might try and pick up the rest from that era to complete the set. Just for fun mind, and only if they are cheap on stalls.

I always wanted one of these for some strange reason. I probably wouldn't even eat Polo's now though.

spacer.png

Photo Hattons

Jason

Looks to be in nearly mint condition...

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 7

22 hours ago, RichardLong said:

I can only assume some at Hornby noticed Coca-Cola was trending today and didn’t bother to check *why* Coca-Cola was trending…

It was a Saturday so suspect it was pre-scheduled maybe even weeks ago. Don't think it's an issue anyway.

• 4 weeks later...
On 21/02/2022 at 03:56, 2750Papyrus said:

Equally, people thinking what they want is what everyone wants, or what they will pay for something is what everyone else will pay for something, has been a regretful part of the hobby since then as well. Bit less fun and refeshing than a tank wagon full of polos though

Edited by Yarravalleymodeller

• RMweb Premium

Recently asked on Hornbys Facebook page about when the 2 SK coaches in Hogwarts livery will be available again. Their reply was “they are unlikely to be available again”. Seems like a waste of licence money to not have them always available. 

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Recently asked on Hornbys Facebook page about when the 2 SK coaches in Hogwarts livery will be available again. Their reply was “they are unlikely to be available again”. Seems like a waste of licence money to not have them always available. 

It does - BUT as has been explained many times before, the nature of current RTR production means batch sizes and production slots are determined many months if not years in advance. Therefore if Hornby got their numbers wrong and either made too few or sold out quicker than expected then they won't be be in a position to get any more for a long time.

The other possibility of course is that the HP licence is coming up for renewal and Hornby are considering dropping it to save cash.

Edited by phil-b259

38 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

It does - BUT as has been explained many times before, the nature of current RTR production means batch sizes and production slots are determined many months if not years in advance. Therefore if Hornby got their numbers wrong and either made too few or sold out quicker than expected then they won't be be in a position to get any more for a long time.

The other possibility of course is that the HP licence is coming up for renewal and Hornby are considering dropping it to save cash.

I always wondered if releasing taw valley in red as per its brief turn in that livery would come under the HP license or not... it would certainly be something good to do with those lovely bullieds to give the modern image people an exotic steamer to shove out on their layouts for a bit, models of railtours trundling past are something missing from a lot of modern image layouts