Hornby 2022 - Licences & Collectables

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Yarravalleymodeller said:

I always wondered if releasing taw valley in red as per its brief turn in that livery would come under the HP license or not... it would certainly be something good to do with those lovely bullieds to give the modern image people an exotic steamer to shove out on their layouts for a bit, models of railtours trundling past are something missing from a lot of modern image layouts 

Painting a Bullied red would probably not in itself infringe HP rights

Calling it Hogwarts Castle and putting a HR rather than BR emblem on the tender most certainly would.

1 minute ago, phil-b259 said:

Calling it Hogwarts Castle and putting a HR rather than BR emblem on the tender most certainly would.

"Your honour have you never written an B that looks like an H... come on mate, was an honest mistake" 😅

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

Taw Valley was never called Hogwarts Castle though, nor did it have the Hogwarts Railways crest on it either. It did have Hogwarts Express nameplates but that was for the book launch, which I believe was to promote the books, before Warner Brothers owned the rights to the movie. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Hilux5972 said:

Taw Valley was never called Hogwarts Castle though, nor did it have the Hogwarts Railways crest on it either. It did have Hogwarts Express nameplates but that was for the book launch, which I believe was to promote the books, before Warner Brothers owned the rights to the movie. 

Probably still get done for it. 

I will however repaint one into that livery and etch appropriate plates one day, it looked damn good in red when I saw it as a kid. Even better next to that intercity livery MK1 that was in it's rather odd collection of rolling stock that formed the special it hauled. 

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Yarravalleymodeller said:

Probably still get done for it. 

I will however repaint one into that livery and etch appropriate plates one day, it looked damn good in red when I saw it as a kid. Even better next to that intercity livery MK1 that was in it's rather odd collection of rolling stock that formed the special it hauled. 

Maybe if they put the Hogwarts Express nameplates on. They did Olton Hall in red with BR Emblem as part of the Railroad Range with no issues. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, sandwich station said:

Taw Valley was put forward to be the loco in the movies but was rejected by J.K. Rowling and the film director as being to modern looking.

Which I’m very glad was the case. Olton Hall looks far more fitting with the look of the films. 

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, tommyliam021 said:

its currently listed for sale on the SVR Facebook shop, albeit when you click the link it shows an error.

C183FA17-5BEC-4CA5-8593-5F3DC1F44433.png

That’s a much more appealing box design than the usual Hornby with a CAD image which sometimes differs from the model inside. I’d be more inclined to rule it out because of the trailing wheels than the colour. The purported model even has a vacant R number. I wonder if the SVR has jumped the gun.

1 hour ago, No Decorum said:

That’s a much more appealing box design than the usual Hornby with a CAD image which sometimes differs from the model inside. I’d be more inclined to rule it out because of the trailing wheels than the colour. The purported model even has a vacant R number. I wonder if the SVR has jumped the gun.

I think they jumped the gun slightly by putting it on their Facebook shop the day before. 

It was reported in a magazine a few weeks after the name was revealed so it was known it was going to happen. 

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, No Decorum said:

Hornby's picture of the box:r30231_2.png

IMHO they've missed a trick. (SVR & Hornby)

Although the nameplate is akin to a typically WC town nameplate, many had the town's coat of arms.

They could've include the Queen's coat of arms above the nameplate

• Agree 2

47 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Hornby's picture of the box:r30231_2.png

IMHO they've missed a trick. (SVR & Hornby)

Although the nameplate is akin to a typically WC town nameplate, many had the town's coat of arms.

They could've include the Queen's coat of arms above the nameplate

There are probably very strict rules about using "Coats of Arms" especially the one belonging to the head of the Royal Family.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, SamThomas said:

There are probably very strict rules about using "Coats of Arms" especially the one belonging to the head of the Royal Family.

Maybe just a monarchs's crown as on the Stanier Pacific?

Looks a bit bare as just a nameplate.

• Agree 1

I have already received an email from a well known supplier, to say they have a limited number available, so order now to avoid disappointment. So I assume the "1500" have been spread about.

As I type this, the Hornby site says 380 sold in the last seven days?

Edited by Bulleidboy100

9 hours ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

As I type this, the Hornby site says 380 sold in the last seven days?

Bulk order from a trader who thinks he can sell them at a profit on ebay/amazon?

if it has been as popular as suggested and it is going to sell out, such a deal should indeed prove lucrative.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Probably a large majority of that figure are Collector club members that realised they can get their discount if ordered direct. 

Agreed, and the  'seven days' figure is presumably their normal window for reporting how many of an item have been sold, it doesn't necessarily mean anyone was able to buy them 7 days ago. Seems Hornby have significantly underestimated demand (again).

Edited by spamcan61