Any views on the build / running qualities of the NOVATEUR AUTORAIL CGC?

BillB

Hi, I am wondering how well these run as they only have 4 wheels. My enquiries in another thread about country stations suggest my 9.25" wide baseboard is too narrow for that project so I am now planning that on a 67" x 13.5" board, which leaves me with my 65" x 9.25" board, and I am contemplating a depot for autorails. Several small cars buzzing in and out might be more interesting than fewer bigger cars, but they would be crossing several sets of points and that's no good if they keep cutting out. There is nothing worse than a DCC+Sound model that cuts out and has to go thru re-start. It's not like DC where problems can be solved by quick application of a fingertip!

Grateful for any info on these little autorail models. They seem to run fine on youtube, but most of that is at medium speed over plain track.

Also, some publicity pics (e.g. close-ups of NM20004S) seem to show cab window glazing not too well fitted.

Thanks,

Bill.

Edited by BillB
text error

17 minutes ago, BillB said:

Hi, I am wondering how well these run as they only have 4 wheels. My enquiries in another thread about country stations suggest my 9.25" wide baseboard is too narrow for that project so I am now planning that on a 67" x 13.5" board, which leaves me with my 65" x 9.25" board, and I am contemplating a depot for autorails. Several small cars buzzing in and out might be more interesting than fewer bigger cars, but they would be crossing several sets of points and that's no good if they keep cutting out. There is nothing worse than a DCC+Sound model that cuts out and has to go thru re-start. It's not like DC where problems can be solved by quick application of a fingertip!

Grateful for any info on these little autorail models. They seem to run fine on youtube, but most of that is at medium speed over plain track.

Also, some publicity pics (e.g. close-ups of NM20004S) seem to show cab window glazing not too well fitted.

Thanks,

Bill.

With live frogs and a feed to each length of rail there should be no need whatsoever for the prodding finger, let alone stayalives or any other electrickery.

Spend time on tracklaying and save time thereafter!

CJI.

• 3 weeks later...

Good news update – Having received email notices of January sales I bought a DCC-sound version, Novateur Modeles NM20004S (DCC-Sound) Autorail diesel ZZ 24602 livrée rouge ex-ETAT, from Jura Modélisme at 10% off. On inspection I saw an AA battery-like cylinder below the roof in one passenger compartment, which I thought might be a stay-alive. My test track is PECO Set-Track, 2 parallel tracks 44 inches long linked by a passing loop using PECO Set-Track points, which I think are Radius 2, and as “dead-frog gappy” as you can get. The railcar ran through these at slow speed, both straight and round the loop, without hesitation or even a flicker of the cabin lights, repeatedly in both directions. Assuming what I saw is a stay-alive I can’t say how a DC version would perform.

Other observations, in no particular order:

The instructions include a written explanation with clear diagrams of how to remove both the driver’s cabin roof or the main car body to install a driver or passengers. This matters because the passenger cabin and driver’s cabin lights are very bright so an empty cabin is noticeable with the lights on.

The gearing is very low. The car moves off smoothly at speed step 1 of 128 at a very slow speed. On my track I didn’t get above step 19, which was still quite slow, though I imagine step 128 might be quite quick. But it is perfect for arriving / departing on a small end-to end layout.

The motor is located in the centre between the main passenger doors and thus hidden at normal viewing. It drives both axles via shafts which can be seen thru the windows rotating at floor level along the isle between the passenger seats, so passengers would need to be secured to avoid them coming loose and interfering with the drive shafts.

Finish is good. The “about to fall out” appearance of the windows on the (crew’s?) doors on the end angles is because the glazing of these doors is an individual pane, not part of the continuous glazing elsewhere, and because of its thickness the edges show, but a gentle touch with a fingernail shows it is secure, if slightly unsightly.

There is no provision for NEM coupler pockets. There is a small peg beneath each end for a clip-on draw-bar to link two cars. This bar is provided, and on mine came clipped onto the peg at one end, which made it slightly delicate when unpacking and could have got lost. It just pulls off horizontally, which I did and put it in a safe place.

Sound is very full and high quality, suggesting a good speaker.

The light in the driver’s cabin only operates when the car is stationary, and I found if you activate it whilst the car is in motion it then comes on when the car stops, which is neat on arrival in a station.

The documentation says the manufacturer of Novateur Modeles is L’Atelier du Train, which I hadn’t realised.

I was sufficiently impressed to immediately order the other ETAT sound model, ZZ 24603, but this time from Pierre Dominique, as Jura did not have it. I await it’s arrival!

Hope this helps someome!

Best Regards,

Bill.

Edited by BillB
Typo
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...