Image restoration from pre-May 2021 continues and may take an indefinite period of time.

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Hi with me slowly regaining my interest in model railways, I thought I would have a go at building a cakebox layout.

The theme is in Era3 1923 - 1947. The layout will have a Dapol 5 plank open wagon "Whitehouse . The wagon will be on a stretch of track and behind this will be a sloped grassy area and a grounded goods van which will be for storage.

At the front of the track will be a cinder road big enough to take a small car. The road will blend in with some more grassy areas with shrubs and flowers.

I hope it sounds ok..

Edited by Kevin Johnson

• RMweb Gold

Progess on my cakebox is steadily coming together. The baseboard is from scalemodelscenery and these are lovely to build. The peco code 100 track has been laid ready for weathering.

I have finished the basic structure on one of the grassy areas and now I just need to start the basic structure to the grassy areas near the front of the cakebox. 

I have added a progress picture..

rsz_20220111_081502.jpg

Edited by Kevin Johnson

• RMweb Gold

Hi I have managed to complete all basic structures to the grassy areas of the cakebox. Hopefully later I can add strips of kitchen roll soaked in PVA to the structures, this will help to form the overall shape.

rsz_120220111_114448.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi I thought I would share another progress update. The grassy areas had a covering of kitchen roll and PVA yesterday. 

This has had time to dry fully and an earth colour has been painted on before the static grass and foliage is laid. Today the road surface has been spread using filler. Once this is dried fully I can then weather the surface. 

The track is being weathered as we speak, more weathering will be done once the ballast has been laid. I have added the timbers ready for the grounded van. All in all its coming along nicely.

rsz_120220112_123629.jpg

• Like 1