A statement on The Titfield Thunderbolt.

rapidoandy

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, Mike_Walker said:

Where does this leave a much respected purveyor of books I wonder?

It would be a tad ironic considering the film and less open to ridicule to Ignore that or quietly give a limited license 😉

It’s quite different to the license to manufacture goods from the film not that it stops some from trying it on. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear me, NO! 

If this is to degenerate into spouting about who can use the name, licences etc then perhaps the mods can just cut and paste the first twenty pages (or dip into the relevant  or irrelevant, as you see fit, Hornby thread) to save those that might be so disposed the trouble of doing so.............

The Sheepflock Titbleat. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 1

On 20/05/2022 at 01:42, Coach bogie said:

Interesting they only registered the name, earlier this year. 

Mike Wiltshire

Remember in the early days of privatisation’ Northern Spirit ‘ and the unregistered name being used by a Scottish company prior to MTL.

On 20/05/2022 at 01:42, Coach bogie said:

Interesting they only registered the name, earlier this year. 

Mike Wiltshire

Which brings in the legal differences between Trade Mark and Copyright (and that a Copyright is more or less automatic but a Trade Mark has to be registered)

The Copyright of a film (and I guess unique elements within the film ) expires 70 years after the death of the last surviving author, director, writer or composer - or if these are unknown 70 years after the creation/public release. So the film itself was almost certainly still within Copyright control. Then when the 'fun' began in January Studio Canal decided to start the process to register the name as a Trade Mark (strengthening and possibly extended their legal position when it was officially registered)

Edited by 5Dublo2

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, 5Dublo2 said:

Which brings in the legal differences between Trade Mark and Copywrite (and that a Copywrite is more or less automatic but a Trade Mark has to be registered)

The Copywrite of a film (and I guess unique elements within the film ) expires 70 years after the death of the last surviving author, director, writer or composer - or if these are unknown 70 years after the creation/public release. So the film itself was almost certainly still within Copywrite control. Then when the 'fun' began in January Studio Canal decided to start the process to register the name as a Trade Mark (strengthening and possibly extended their legal position when it was officially registered)

As Rob alluded to see Andy’s post on page one and pages 19-25 where that’s discussed from January. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Agree 2

On 22/05/2022 at 08:46, 5Dublo2 said:

The Copywrite of a film (and I guess unique elements within the film ) expires 70 years after the death of the last surviving author, director, writer or composer - or if these are unknown 70 years after the creation/public release. So the film itself was almost certainly still within Copywrite control.

Not only extensively discussed already, but also The Titfield Thunderbolt is a singularly bad vintage film to try it on with given the copyright situation - its director died in, er, 1999. So there's no 'almost certainly' about it!

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

it's a right, not something written.

Not even from a copywriter? 😉

As the saying goes, two writes do make a wrong.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

As I explained to my colleagues when working in Belgium who thought they drove oin the right side of the road, in fact they drive on the wrong side, whereas we drive on the right side which is of course the left. 

Edited by Michael Hodgson
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

As I explained to my colleagues when working in Belgium who thought they drove oin the right side of the road, in fact they drive on the wrong side, whereas we drive on the right side which is of course the left. 

They drive on the right side of the road and we drive on the correct side of the road! 😁

• Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Chris116 said:

They drive on the right side of the road and we drive on the correct side of the road! 😁

6 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

We used to drive on the left of the road and now we drive on what's left of the road.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 7