Leyland DAF/LDV 400

Ragtag

This vehicle has been a must have for me for quite a while, needing a few in various guises for my Royal Mail terminal. I decided to bite the bullet and went with the post bus version first. While the castings need a little work to tidy up I decided they were good enough that a few extras could go into the model bus fleet.

20220110_224614.jpg.21e93248983b7efa9817a447c12e73c2.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

3 hours ago, Merfyn Jones said:

Something we have needed in 1/76 scale for a long time. Is it possible for you to supply one for supplying to one of our commercial casters who could then produce them here in the UK, with full credit to yourself ?

J284DTO.jpg

I think that would be a non starter - unlike my Freight Rover minibus which is scratchbuilt I actually adapted an existing model to make the master for these so I suspect there'd be IP/copyright issues 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Ragtag said:

I think that would be a non starter - unlike my Freight Rover minibus which is scratchbuilt I actually adapted an existing model to make the master for these so I suspect there'd be IP/copyright issues 

Who makes the model you took the master from?

8 minutes ago, Ragtag said:

The base model is nice but for anyone considering the same conversion I'll just say that unlike some other manufacturers the heat shield on the roof is not a separate part and must be carved off.

Thank you for the information on the model.  I was aware of it's existence, but have not been able to purchase them. Any idea how I can ?

Merfyn.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

There was some resin hand made models available from Hong Kong about ten years ago, rather expensive but good models. I notice that some of HK model co. models are the same, I wonder if its the same company?

I got one of the BMC FGs as a market truck, see that is still in the range. 

Made into a B R parcels van

367PRO Morris FG.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 06/02/2022 at 13:14, Merfyn Jones said:

Thank you Ragtag, they look great.

I'm still waiting for a reply from Hong Kong.

On 14/03/2022 at 14:27, Merfyn Jones said:

Finally contacted Annie and looks like the project is a good one.

Any more news on getting the models from Hong Kong?

19 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Any more news on getting the models from Hong Kong?

Yes Phil, when Annie eventually told me which address to send the money, they arrived in 5 days.  Very pleased with the model quality.

After dismantling and 2 days soaking in Dettol, the paint came off with a thumbnail scrape.  The low roof van is having the side windows filled to produce a standard van body and the police minibus will retain all the windows to make a standard high top minibus.  In my case all will be yellow.

• Like 2

On 28/04/2022 at 07:22, Merfyn Jones said:

Yes Phil, when Annie eventually told me which address to send the money, they arrived in 5 days.  Very pleased with the model quality.

After dismantling and 2 days soaking in Dettol, the paint came off with a thumbnail scrape.  The low roof van is having the side windows filled to produce a standard van body and the police minibus will retain all the windows to make a standard high top minibus.  In my case all will be yellow.

Look forward to seeing your efforts, the minibus takes a bit of work to get it to UK spec but certainly looks the part once it's done.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Quick update on the final 4 (bringing the total to 14 - oops!) - the yellow stripes have had me stumped for a while. I recently tried a new white transfer paper having run into no end of bother with the new formulation of the Mr. Crafty stuff (I still love their clear but the white is just terrible!) Must say the new brand is fantastic, very resilient but still thin & doesn't need to be lacquered even on an inkjet - my only complaint is it could be stickier but to be fair it is marketed for mugs etc. and not surfaces with fine detail. I decided to try just printing the stripes without border and see how I got on, think they look good enough that I'll glaze these and call them done! 🙂

image.png.4631eb75d3268704cb2a44970b9877dc.png

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3