NMRA BR Winter Meet, Sunday, 30 January 2022.

GW Jim

• RMweb Premium

Stokenchurch Community Centre, Bartholomew Tipping Lane, Stokenchurch HP14 3RX half a mile off M40 J5, signed within the village.

The venue will be open to NMRA members and the public from 10:00 to 16:00. The NMRA Publicity Stand and the Region Library will be present. AP Assessment will also be available but must be advised beforehand to Keith Webb, AP Chair, as space is a little limited.
Traders confirmed include Anoraks Anonymous, SCC, Mech Models, N-Scale Laser, Anglo American, and American O Scale.
Layouts invited are Kamiak Falls and West Street Yard, both in HO and Minocqua Falls in O-Scale.

There will be limited space for members Bring and Buy, at £10 per table or for 2 meters of bench space.

Admission will be £5 for NMRA members and £10 for non-members. Please bring your NMRA Membership card, as we may not have time to check your membership and you’ll risk the non-NMRA admission charge.

There are attractions close by which might interest non-railers in your family sharing the day out. Stokenchurch is where the M40 crosses the northern edge of the Chilterns. with red kites often visible. Aston Rowant nature reserve and several woodland walks are close by. Stonor Park and Greys Court – both National Trust – are not far away, as are Waterperry Gardens – do check with them for opening times. Oxford is just up the M40, J8/8a, with a Park & Ride available at Thornhill on the A40 from J8/8a. Bicester Outlet Village is close to M40 Junction 9, about 20 miles north.

Contacts: Mick Moignard or Keith Webb NMRABensonMeet@gmail.com or 07774 652504

2 hours ago, long island jack said:

Yes exactly,!!! 

But exactly what, Jack?  The organisers have done well to find any venue just now (third time lucky) and the number of layouts and traders seems adequate for a Winter Meet. 

Jason

4 hours ago, long island jack said:

The point i'm trying to make is, the cost for non-members, if there still trying to recruit new members, this may put them off from attending,

The counter argument would be if non-members pay the same price, then why pay for an NMRA membership...

Yes, it's not all about lower prices for a show, but there has to be some visible benefit or people will wonder why join.

• Like 1

I think the organisers are offering NMRABR non-members a £5 ticket if they join on the day. 

Life is harder for me: I'm buying a couple of tables for my O-scale sales and the BR is HO (and a bit of N) isn't it?

Anyway Bevis's enhanced O-scale layout will be there and having O-scale on show often drives other scalers to see the light....

Jason

• Like 1

I know you can't do much about the distance and travel costs but looking at my total spend for a day out at the NMRA Convention, what I spent in petrol and entrance was more than saved in the cost of a few secondhand freight cars for the Kadee trucks and a few built up houses from the members sales room vs the cost of purchasing them from any other source.

• Like 2

I entirely agree with 298.  It is important that we support events like this. Up to six hours of entertainment and time spent with like minded people for £10 (in my case) has got to be good value. I could easily spend that on the shipping cost of 2-3 items from eBay, always assuming there is stuff I want on offer from UK sellers. Getting stuff from US sellers is another ballgame altogether! My thanks to those who have organised this meeting. Finding a suitable venue in these difficult times cannot be easy.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 16/01/2022 at 15:55, GW Jim said:

Stokenchurch Community Centre, Bartholomew Tipping Lane, Stokenchurch HP14 3RX half a mile off M40 J5, signed within the village.

The venue will be open to NMRA members and the public from 10:00 to 16:00. The NMRA Publicity Stand and the Region Library will be present. AP Assessment will also be available but must be advised beforehand to Keith Webb, AP Chair, as space is a little limited.
Traders confirmed include Anoraks Anonymous, SCC, Mech Models, N-Scale Laser, Anglo American, and American O Scale.
Layouts invited are Kamiak Falls and West Street Yard, both in HO and Minocqua Falls in O-Scale.

There will be limited space for members Bring and Buy, at £10 per table or for 2 meters of bench space.

Admission will be £5 for NMRA members and £10 for non-members. Please bring your NMRA Membership card, as we may not have time to check your membership and you’ll risk the non-NMRA admission charge.

There are attractions close by which might interest non-railers in your family sharing the day out. Stokenchurch is where the M40 crosses the northern edge of the Chilterns. with red kites often visible. Aston Rowant nature reserve and several woodland walks are close by. Stonor Park and Greys Court – both National Trust – are not far away, as are Waterperry Gardens – do check with them for opening times. Oxford is just up the M40, J8/8a, with a Park & Ride available at Thornhill on the A40 from J8/8a. Bicester Outlet Village is close to M40 Junction 9, about 20 miles north.

Contacts: Mick Moignard or Keith Webb NMRABensonMeet@gmail.com or 07774 652504

Just to confirm that as of today Friday 28/01/2022 the one day NMRABR meet is still on. The organizers have said the following-

'We recommend that you bring a face-mask; at the time of writing this reminder note we do not know if the hall owners – Bucks County Council - will require them. Better to bring one just in case. There will be no catering inside the venue but we do expect to have a food service van outside which will offer hot and cold drinks plus hot and cold snack meals. There is also the Tesco Express a short distance away, three pubs which serve a variety of food and a café in the village. Bring an insulated mug if you have one. Please note that access is through a housing estate and we ask that noise and disturbance is avoided when arriving and leaving.

Looking forward to seeing some of you there.

James.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I spent a few hours at "Not Benson" today. My congratulations to Mick and Keith who made it possible. There was strong support from the trade and a few very nice layouts. Although I don't do much US HO these days it was good to catch up with old friends and grab a few (completely unecessary) bargains from Mech Models, Anoraks Anonymous and Anglo American models.

My "star of the show" was Ant Quinlan's Kamiak Falls which captured the BN merger era to perfection and is very well done. I forgot my camera but my phone provided a few images:

51852358678_36e22f52b0_z.jpg

51851319107_e8d7a1fa9f_z.jpg

51852939120_5013d2a6aa_z.jpg

plus West Street Yard also in HO provided a more urban setting:

51852359183_484062f9c7_z.jpg

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1