Going to the club again tonight, I'm going to bring the JCB, short straights, DAS clay and the Dapol fence and try and measure the distance between the two fences and gates. I'll also take some more photos so I can post them on here. I have yet to test the tracks but I'm going to do that once the three short straights are in place.

I'll try to keep you updated as I go along. 

• Like 1

I managed to cover the entire scenic section in DAS clay in just 1 hour and 30 minutes. I also tested the track with the Class 04 I'm using for the other layout before and after the installation. 

The 04 ran smoothly on all three tracks before I put the clay on but after, it tended to stick in certain places but after some smoothing out, it ran without any problems.

The next step is to paint the fences black: I brought them both back with me to paint them at home. I'm also going to have to visit Mighty Lancer and buy several pots of black paint...

Yesterday I went to Mighty Lancer Games and I have brought some black paint. I wanted pots of paint not the ones you have to squeeze to get the paint out and the only ones they had were Citadel Colour Abaddon Black which is intended for Warhammer and Dungeons & Dragons. I didn't want to use up all the black which came in my Airfix kits I have yet to make so I brought four pots of the stuff which came up to £10.

They are going to be used to paint the fences, the DAS clay and the back of the backscene boards. 

16442495470021421315163371933217.jpg.b6f0fd948531b530119e2d0f677e7972.jpg

I managed to do one thing I intended to do last night and that was painting the DAS clay. I never got round to installing the fences as I spent practically the whole evening trying to make the 04 run on the layout smoothly. I filed away, used a track rubber and ran my knife down the sides of the rails so that the loco could run. Eventually, I got there, just some issues in the fiddle yard I've got to sort out. 

The plug that goes into the power track on the analogue controller came off during the process so I stripped the wires and plugged it back in. Thankfully, it still works. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 09/02/2022 at 14:42, 6990WitherslackHall said:

Forgot to mention, I've backtracked the purchase of 75029 to 12th March. This is because I've spent quite a bit recently so I'm waiting until I have enough. 

There is a much older Bachmann model of 75029 from the 90's. I'm not sure if the tooling has changed since then and it's not a DCC ready model, but they can be picked up second hand for a far lower price than the new one. That may help if you are watching your pennies.

There are other NYMR based loco's available ready to run with the correct number that should be available at a reasonable price too. 80136 is one example.

Good luck with the build :good:

• Thanks 1

Club night again, I'll see about trying to fix the track issues and I'll take some photos this time. I'm thinking of using two more power tracks for each of the three tracks instead of using one for all three of them. Sure, I'll keep having to unplug the controller from each track when I want to move a loco on a different track, but it'll probably be easier than using just the one.

I'll also have to source another controller and use the broken one for the other oo gauge layout.

Well, this is what Grosmont MPD currently looks like, I've stuck down the track that was loose in the fiddle yard and painted the DAS clay. Ideally, it could do with another coat but I'm leaving it for now.

The board that should go between the fiddle yard and the scenic section has also gone missing: it's going to be a struggle to find some suitable wood for the rest of the backscene. 

I've also moved the layout onto where the other layout I was working on was. That's now had all the items put away and the layout is stored upright. 

16449535563043151902446435950317.jpg

Edited by 6990WitherslackHall

On 11/02/2022 at 11:45, thetalkinlens said:

There is a much older Bachmann model of 75029 from the 90's. I'm not sure if the tooling has changed since then and it's not a DCC ready model, but they can be picked up second hand for a far lower price than the new one. That may help if you are watching your pennies.

There are other NYMR based loco's available ready to run with the correct number that should be available at a reasonable price too. 80136 is one example.

I'm still trying to have a look to see if there are any of the NYMR fleet for sale. I'm going to have another look now and I'll post if I find anything.

The NYMR have a large collection of preserved steam locomotives and heritage diesels.

I made a list of what locomotives are currently on the NYMR as of this year either operational, undergoing or awaiting overhaul/restoration and stored:

Steam fleet

WD 2-10-0 3672 Dame Vera Lynn

Bagnall 0-4-0ST 2702 Constance

LH&JC 0-6-2T 5

LH&JC 0-6-2T 29

Brussels Tramway 0-4-0VBT 8 Lucie

SR S15 4-6-0 825

SR Schools 4-4-0 926 Repton

SR West Country 4-6-2 34101 Hartland

LMS Black 5 4-6-0 44806

LMS Black 5 4-6-0 5428 Eric Treacy

LNER B1 4-6-0 1264

LNER Q6 0-8-0 63395

LNER J27 0-6-0 65894

BR Standard 4MT 4-6-0 75029 The Green Knight

BR Standard 4MT 2-6-0 76079

BR Standard 4MT 2-6-4T 80135 

BR Standard 4MT 2-6-4T 80136

BR Standard 9F 2-10-0 92134

Diesel fleet

Class 04 D2207

Class 08 08495

Class 08 08554

Class 08 08850

Class 11 12139

Class 24 D5032 

Class 24 D5061

Class 25 D7628 Sybilla

Class 37 37264

Class 47 47077 North Star

Class 101 DMU 101680

Class 101 DMU 101685 Daisy

Steam - 18

Diesel - 12

Total - 30

If I were to have models of all the current fleet, minus the DMUs as they're too big, I would have 28 locomotives.

The models I've seen for sale (after research) are 926, 1264 (in the wrong livery: the model is green), 63395, 75029, 76079, 80135, D5061 and 37264.

I know that models of some of the fleet were also made but I'm having problems finding them.

Missed out an 08: 08495

I'm going to buy another controller today as well as another power track. I chose to ditch the movable power track idea and have power tracks on each track. This will save a lot of time when at showing the layout at exhibitions and quicker to get things moving quickly when there are crowds around the layout.

Edit: I didn't buy the stuff I needed as the weather was horrible and I didn't fancy walking to town in it. I'm going to go after work at some point.

13 hours ago, thetalkinlens said:

Not sure if it is of interest to you, but there looks to be an old Bachmann 75029 on eBay at the moment for £49.99 buy it now. I have no association to the listing, I thought I'd just draw your attention to it.

I've had a look at it and it looks nice. Unfortunately I think it has the incorrect tender but I can source the correct BR2 tender as well, then I might consider getting it.