Ladder safety cages

davknigh

I have a question regarding safety cages on ladders attached to buildings. The building in question is the Scalescenes water tower illustrated here: https://scalescenes.com/product/t024d-industrial-d-water-tower/

It has a hatch on the roof which, to my mind, would be accessed by a ladder on the outside of the building. Given that the roof scales out at 40’ above the ground my 21st century mind says that the ladder should have a safety cage around it, but my model is set in the early ‘50s. Can anyone give me some hints as to what the standards would have been at the time?

TIA

Cheers,

David

12 minutes ago, davknigh said:

Can anyone give me some hints as to what the standards would have been at the time?

"Don't fall off" with perhaps a hoop at the top if you were expected to work there. 

Look at signals for an example,  until very recently there was only a single hoop at the top on most of them so the lamp man could lean back against it to leave both hands free. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, BernardTPM said:

This is the 1970s.

Bet you won't see this kind of climb on Blue Peter these days.

Not for the faint of heart. It puts me in mind of some of the Fred Dibnah clips I’ve seen.

Cheers,

David

• Agree 1

• 4 months later...