Scale Model Trains and Model Trains International

Dzine

5 hours ago, Barclay said:

I hope he's OK - Model Trains and then Scale Trains were my introduction to the more serious side of the hobby. They really showed you how to do things yourself.

Hi Barclay, Me too, he gave me the big break and taught me such a lot.  I've got contact details for him now.  I've tried a couple of times to phone but there's no answer yet. I'll try over the next few days and if successful will post something here.  Kind regards Paul

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 26/01/2022 at 17:33, Moxy said:

Paul, you have a PM

Hi Moxy, just a quick one to let you know I've had a brief chat with Chris this lunchtime,  he was busy cooking so I've arranged to chat with him at length later on today.  I'll let you know, and all the others on this topic, once I've had a conversation about how he is and what he's doing. Kind regards Paul

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Folks, I had a lovely long chat with Chris last night.  We reminisced about Scale Model Trains and talked for some time on layouts with multiple use e.g. US/UK, changing buildings and the like for different operating sessions, we covered BR HO too.  It was good to hear him speak passionately, and very modestly, about his work and that he has now drawn a line underneath any public aspect of modelling or model related issues.  In his own words he feels he has reached an age where it's time to take things easy, enjoying two home layouts he's retained from earlier days.  Unfortunately, like many of us of a certain age, he has little time for modern technology; void of internet, emails and the like and whilst friends have mentioned some comments on Rmweb, I suspect these have been quite limited.  What I hope to do is send him a couple of my books  and if anyone wants to post a message on here, I'll convert them into a hard copy and send them too.  I'd like to think there's importance in recognising and thanking the stalwarts of our hobby, maybe RMweb could give several awards on a yearly basis, a bit like the film industry, starting with a lifetime achievement for Chris (come Andy York what do you think?).  Kindest regards Paul    

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 6

Thanks for that update Paul. It’s good to know he’s still going.

Like, I suspect, many others my modelling owes a lot to his influence and his magazines. 

He certainly deserves proper recognition for what he has done for the hobby. Which, to my mind is under appreciated. It would be good for him to receive it while he is still alive too!

steve

• Like 3
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

The recently issued 'compendia' of articles from Model Trains International are worth a look for those who haven't seen them. I've got a copy of Modelling German Railways.

http://modeltrainsinternational.co.uk/

Chris Ellis introduces the book as 'a good basic guide to modelling German railways, either for complete beginners to the German scene, and to long-time enthusiasts ...' and I would imagine the same can be said for the other titles.

Don't look for product reviews, look for pragmatic projects and well-judged doses of modelling inspiration. And don't be put off by the presentation (in black and white only) which looked a bit basic even when the articles were first published.

Ben

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul

Please pass on my very best wishes to him, I agree that his contribution to this wonderful hobby has been significant.

Scale Model Trains was packed with really good practical modelling information, I think I'm right in saying that this included some fantastically informative and useful articles by John Lewis, on GW containers for example. Apologies if I have mis - remembers this!

Simon

Edited by Not Jeremy
typo
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3

14 minutes ago, Not Jeremy said:

Hi Paul

Please pass on my very best wishes to him, I agree that his contribution to this wonderful hobby has been significant.

Scale Model Trains was packed with really good practical modelling information, I think I'm right in saying that this included some fantastically informative and useful articles by John Lewis, on GW containers for example. Apologies if I have mis - remembers this!

Simon

Hi Simon, Absolutely agree, will probably give to the end of this coming week and then send the first letter.  I hope to send more as the weeks roll on.  Kind regards Paul

• Like 3

Please add me (Jordan Foster) to the list of those wishing Chris well.

It's his 'fault' I'm so into American Short Lines and O Scale - the results of early articles in the original Airfix Model Trains which he edited in 1980/81.

He sold me his Atlas O Plymouth switcher some years ago now, which featured inthe May '81 Model Trains issue.

I still have it, more-or-less as he sold it to me, except I have added my own Short Line name to it, fitted DCC with working headlights & roof beacon, and named it Chris Ellis in his honour.

Please feel free to forward these photos of it to him and tell him I am immensely proud to own it, and thanks for so much inspiration over the years the magazines were published.

20210504_221349.jpg.8cd2a93aa9ad2f8d980bd4fd6b99bac2.jpg

20210504_221326.jpg.2c32e4a066805b4ab66e3c860145382a.jpg

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 9
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Only about 6 months ago I was rummaging through my old Scale Trains issues for some of the American articles - I found what I wanted and, with me finally starting to dabble in US models, it was as useful now as it was interesting then. I well remember how worried I was when there was a hiccup in the publication of Model Trains, and how pleased I was that Chris set up Scale Trains instead - I believe it was 1982, which would make me 14 at the time, and it was a big part of my world back then.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi, thanks for doing this, @Dzine

While I never actually had that many copies of SMT or MTI, those I do have are treasured and I really loved the forum, it’s sadly missed.

What I found so refreshing throughout all these works was the appreciation that ALL railways have interest and can be worthy of following. That was so different to the vast majority of “normal” magazines back in the day (small exceptions for occasional MRC’s and MR’s) and even more so nowadays, I find.

I certainly need to record my thanks to Chris for the “on the nebenbahn” articles, they fed my interest in German branch lines and fostered my interest in firstly the Bavarian railways, later which morphed into Prussian railways which led to my layout linked in my signature.

Many thanks for everything, Chris. I hope you have a long and happy retirement.

Best regards,

John E.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Pleased to see that Chris Ellis is still with us. Hard to believe it's now over 40 years since Model Trains debuted — and Chris had been editing Airfix Magazine for some years prior to that. The magazines he edited all provided a lot of inspiration.

• Like 3
  • Agree 6

6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Now here's a thing.  St Enodoc station building on my layout is a version of Bugle, built using information in an article by Paul @Dzine in the May 1990 issue of Scale Model Trains:

2069294887_20120212008StEnodocstationbuilding.JPG.ecd142374db1fa10e5581f8a2b66da6b.JPG

I remember it well.  You've done a fab job.  In fairness, when I was speaking to Chris he remembered the articles which were usually track plans or a scale drawing or sometimes both, I think Hayle Wharves and Swing Bridge was the most intensive and also one of my favourites of all time.  Kind regards Paul

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 30/01/2022 at 20:25, Dzine said:

Hi Simon, Absolutely agree, will probably give to the end of this coming week and then send the first letter.  I hope to send more as the weeks roll on.  Kind regards Paul

Hi Paul, have you been in touch with Chris recently?

On 17/02/2022 at 09:22, F-UnitMad said:

Hi Paul, have you been in touch with Chris recently?

Hi Jordan, Many thanks for your message. Have sent him one of my books to read and hope to call him sometime this weekend.  He doesn't always get to the phone easy (mobility issues) so I try to find the best times to ring him.  Will message on here as soon as I've had a chat, I'll mention about you buying the loco of him, it'll jog his memory.  Kindest regards Paul

• Like 5

On 20/02/2022 at 19:49, Dzine said:

Hi folks,  I've tried to get Chris today without success. Maybe he's been out with his sons.  I'll try again tomorrow.  Sorry there's no news.  Kind regards Paul

Hi again, I've kept trying to get Chris, without any success, and can only assume he's probably gone to family for the school holidays.  I'll try again this weekend or early next week and feedback then.  Kind regards Paul

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Glad to hear that Chris is still "on deck".  My memories of him are as editor of Airfix Magazine, and also as author of "How to go Plastic Modelling" and "How to go Advanced Plastic Modelling".  The latter two books took my plastic modelling skills past the "chuck it together out of the bag/box" to proper building and detailing.  My copies of these two books ( now 50 years old) are much treasured.  Unfortunately I never came across his railway modelling side.

Martyn

• Like 2

Hi Folks, I've phoned Chris several times on Sunday and today without any success.  Thinking of my last conversation with him he did speak of having to go into hospital from time to time and wonder if this explains his absence.  Will keep trying tomorrow and will come back as soon as I have anything.  Kind regards Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

I had a card from Chris at Xmas. He is wheelchair bound when he leaves the house and does have 2 + layouts for entertainment.

He was 'quietly influential' in the hobby and his projects and approach were very practical and down to earth. For many modellers , myself included, he showed that you dont need a big space or a big budget to enjoy our hobby. Neither do you have trains that run around in circles. Micro layouts , Inglenooks and the like were being advocated (and built) in ST/MTI years before the larger glossier mags began to actively them. His ideas seem very relevant to the current climate of rising prices.

May he have a long and happy retirement.

• Like 10
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1