Mansfield - a slow burner…

Andy_C

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Andy_C said:

I have. Can you expand on what you mean by trailing v facing?

C7874377-E917-4D72-8567-9E7E6084273F.gif

That's great, if a little indistinct in the usual way the S-R-S presents diagrams for non-members. Edit: note that it's later than your station because it doesn't include the up platform loop, just a truncated bay.

A trailing connection joins two routes together in the normal direction of travel whereas a facing connection has two outgoing routes in the normal direction of travel. It's a simple safety measure that railways have used from their early days meaning that trains are less likely to accidentally take a wrong route.

There's only one facing connection on the main running lines in that signalling diagram - from the Down Main, across into the bay.

Edited by Harlequin

In the meantime, I’ve checked my other plan. I think I had the two curved points the wrong way. The attached is the same as the plan, but again I’m using all of this to get close, but not identical.

The 2nd photo shows the altered points in context. I’d love another 8 ft of straight track…

Thoughts?

BFEAE205-A615-46CD-A7DC-2091CA1B5A3C.jpeg

90D2A060-E272-4074-8E60-E916BC692A38.jpeg

Edited by Andy_C

• RMweb Gold

Your library maps are exactly the maps I was looking at online, helpfully stitched together by the NLS:

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18&lat=53.14162&lon=-1.19919&layers=168&b=1

You can see that there are some important differences between the station plan in the maps and the one documented by the S-R-S signalling diagram.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Harlequin said:

You can see that there are some important differences between the station plan in the maps and the one documented by the S-R-S signalling diagram.

Agreed. That, added to the physical constraints I have regarding size of layout, will mean inevitable compromises.

I have taken on board your comments re the goods sidings. Thank you for pointing that out.

Another question re era 5 that I can’t seem to put an answer to, please?

tanker wagons - would they all still be the same supplier eg Esso, or would a rake run mixed?

Does anyone have a reference I can use? I’m well briefed on mixed freight and braked/unbraced etc, but tanker configurations have me flummoxed? I also know about later eras, and also era 5vuse of a box van between the loco and tankers etc?

• 1 month later...

A short update. I’m about 3 weeks from board frames going up. My original plans re baseboards have gone out of the window, thanks to some solid advice from Duncan(Shirebrook).

Now, where I do use plywood - 6mm or 9mm?

I will post some room photos once decorating is complete.

• 4 weeks later...

Room decorated. The two 5x2ft boards are temporarily up. The plan is to get all the frames to fit properly, and then I’ll paint the lot. These two boards are the only full boards at ‘track level’. They are where the TMS, sidings and turntable will go. The other frames will vary to allow for a viaduct to the north of the station, and an embankment to the south.

AAD1F6C1-FFDF-4983-B711-4EBD1514AEDE.jpeg

15E460E0-FD49-4534-8DA4-F89D174EE115.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just a mini photo dump of progress so far. There is track laid near the door, sort of a practice area to dust off what I have long forgotten re laying track properly. Thursday’s next lesson will be soldering droppers, and getting MTB point motors to work. I wonder how often I’ll get the frogs wrong on the points an double slips?😏

A96E7F71-0F4B-4FDE-B1B1-5BF2BFA54E52.jpeg

B82E2AC3-2B9C-4623-96DF-B66D7D4C22AC.jpeg

5FF50FEF-A786-48C0-B1EB-D96830C44A80.jpeg

• 6 months later...

Some further photos of layout progress.... These are of the foundation woodwork for the viaduct. The supports are movable, as I'm not 100% where the down sections of the viaduct will go. Also shows the lift-out section.

3E993E67-AA21-48DE-9381-53AD15235650.JPG

65E7B60D-064B-46DD-B3A5-6F488FF6C824.JPG

Edited by Andy_C
Added explanatory text
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Duncan. said:

It is coming along nicely. I hope that the wiring goes well, dc or DCC it always looks bewildering.

Ha ha it’s going ok. Nearly two loops operational! You’ll have to have your jabs to travel south to inspect and critique, sometime. 😜

• 2 weeks later...

A short update: I have two working loops. Awaiting the Yamorc usb adaptor to correctly configure an 8116 to work with MP1 motors. This weekend is tidying any cosmetic issues with the track, and having a look at the engine shed track layout,

I prefer the simpler points config of the TMS at Kirkby to the one at Mansfield. There are also numerous photos showing Kirkby  shed had both steam and diesel during the period I’m running stock for (Era 5). I accept the station I’m modelling didn’t directly connect to the Kirkby TMS, but it’s a compromise worth considering. 

I’ll put some photos up in due course.

Edited by Andy_C

Track testing for smoothness etc, using my Class 40. The track was ok(after a bit of a clean) but the 40 has a bent drive wheel! Thankfully Bachmann spares to the rescue. 

This weekend is a bit of cutting, plus musing with Duncan(Shirebrook) regarding the correct point layout for the TMS and goods yard. Also, looking at track painting and the theory of airbrushing.

Had a couple of issues with the MP1 motors. Thanks to some advice I now check the frog change on each one before installing, and if necessary change the alignment of the cam inside if any issues. 

28422D80-D05F-4B33-BB2E-E0EAE821E7C4.jpeg

Edited by Andy_C
  • Like 2

Please to report that due to Bachman's fast response, the 40 is sorted. I have a couple of issues with two   of my steam loco's, which I'll possibly create another post for:

My Black 5 seems to crab to the left when travelling forwards - the engine doesn't want to stay straight - its the tender driven version.

My Standard five seems to hunt a little, in that the body moves from side to side when travelling in either direction.

Both will require further investigation, and i'm not trying to cure it with oil.

Track painting has commenced. Much easier than I thought. Just need to borrow some patience.

I'll post some photos once a bit more progress has been made.

Finally, the layout recieved some developmental feedback from Duncan after his visit yesterday. 😉

5 hours ago, Harlequin said:

Your recent posts are not really about layout design any more so please consider starting a topic in Layout Topics or asking the Mods to move this topic there.

I did think the same. I’ve reported the thread accordingly, although I still have a steam, diesel and goods area to design…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Couple of hours last night revealed, amongst other things, a click per wheel revolution in my other class 5. Looks like I'll get very good at fault finding with my locos. I also looked at commencing the shaping for the station platforms, as I cannot now commence my goods yard adjacent to the station until the physical platform bases individual dimensions have been decided. The Peco stone edging seems most similar to the original stations edging, at this stage.

Off to Rails today tho, just to look at options for stone work in general.

Click fault cured in one class five. Also got as far as the gears to the drive wheels. Covered in crap. Cleaned out, and very sparingly oiled. A slight improvement, but really I need to get to the cogs that drive the cogs attached to the wheels. There is a screw through the weight, which I removed, but that didn’t loosen the weight any. The diagram with the loco is crap in this regard. More research needed.

This loco doesn’t rum smoothly, yet, so further bits of fettling required. I’ll have a look at the other class 5 tomorrow. Then, onto track rail painting. Air brush and accessories arrive Monday. 

Edited by Andy_C

• 3 weeks later...

Just some photos showing the woodworking for the foundations of the station platforms. The Peco edging is very close in structure and form to what I’m after, so the next stage is to prime them. I’ll then apply a mid stone colour.

The platform nearest the centre is needed as I can’t sort the other loop or goods yard until that’s done.

The curved piece of ply at the front of the photo has been binned, and a newer piece cut with a more accurate curve. My Class 4MT and a Stanier coach are being used as a template, to ensure the running gear doesn't snag. I'll check with a MK1 coach as well.

Photo station 4-3-23.jpg

Photo station 3 4-3-23.jpg

Edited by Andy_C
  • Like 1

I need a very small flat plate, say 6cm x 6cm, to mount a 12/2mm diameter on-off-on switch. It can be metal or plastic. It will enable me to feed a piece of track next to the diesel depot that can be either part of the main track buss, or using the switch can become the programming track.

Any ideas on where i get such a thing?