SECR 10t Covered Goods Wagon & 2 Plank Ballast Wagon

rapidoandy

13 hours ago, Big James said:

My pre-orders in. They look lovely.

As someone else said what’s the chances of a brake van. Seems like an open goal now. 

big James  

Maybe that's an opportunity for Hornby to fill instead of their failed Tits Up Thunderbolt exercise, mind you Rapido would more than likely do a better job of producing one. 

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

I like brake vans....

Blimey, its like Christmas all over again with a possible hint(?) now about 'likes'.  

So of I've got this right we've gone from announcements dropping a big hint about an announcement,  to a hint about what has arrived in the post from what was implied to be some sort of manufacturing establishment,  to an announcement that there will be one announcement per month (which might mean that it takes Andy even longer to unwrap his Christmas presents than I do but there has been no hint announcement to link these announcements with what was in the mysterious parcels at Christmastide so it might mean the monthly announcements could be about something else entirely different and nothing will happen to disturb the mystery of Christmas.    

But now things take a slightly different tack as following an earlier hint from Andy about his liking for railway engines built in Leeds we now have a hint that from that he likes 'brake vans'.  A clue there is that at least he hasn't used the earlier Victorian term 'break van' so his interest would appear to lie in the 20th century although something built in, say 1898 is pretty close to almost count as 20th century.   So what are we to make of this?  Well it might mean he has 'something' in mind to go with all those pretty wagons from the railway in the bottom right hand corner of the map and all we have to do is stick a pin in the calendar to get an idea of which month it will be announced.   or he could be just trying to create excitement and get everybody clamouring for various brakevans.   But it is increasingly clear that these Rapido UK blokes are a pretty clever lot so it could be an exercise in saving the tooling money for something else by giving another model company a hint about what they're developing in the knowledge that the other company will immediately be hard at work trying to get theirs out first 'because they've always had one in their range'.  Really clever stuff that but just to make sure you'd better announce a photographic trip, complete with measuring rod, to a particular preservation site (or more?) to make sure 'the others' really know what you're 'planning.'  In the meanwhile of course you can use that trip to measure up something completely different.

• Like 5
  • Funny 4

21 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Custard creams or bacon on a shovel in the firebox?

Both are excellent, although I find Kit Kats better for a break - custard creams tend to crumble rather than snapping cleanly! ...Oh, different kind of break!

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Skinnylinny said:

Both are excellent, although I find Kit Kats better for a break - custard creams tend to crumble rather than snapping cleanly! ...Oh, different kind of break!

Ah - is that the chunky version with only one finger or two finger version. Or is the larger 4 finger version more preferable?

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, rapidoandy said:

Ah - is that the chunky version with only one finger or two finger version. Or is the larger 4 finger version more preferable?

It's good to know that detail in model railway companies doesn't just matter when they're on the telly.  

PS Tunnocks wafer biscuits knock Kit Kats into the proverbial cocked hat.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

10 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

It's good to know that detail in model railway companies doesn't just matter when they're on the telly.  

PS Tunnocks wafer biscuits knock Kit Kats into the proverbial cocked hat.

We also have these in the warehouse...

IMG_6327.jpg

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 30/01/2022 at 12:39, Dunsignalling said:

True, but Meldon ballast was generally distributed in 40-ton hoppers if it had to go much further than Exeter, and I doubt the 2-planks would get mixed in with those other than (maybe) within a possession.

John

During my career (from mid 1970s onwards) Meldon always sent out some ballast in opens, I assume for use as bottom ballast. In the steam era ballast trains mostly consisted of eight or ten 40t hoppers. I have seen a few steam era photos of ballast from Meldon loaded all in opens, (grampus and smaller vehicles), but never mixed with hoppers.  

I do not ever recall spoil going to Meldon. I think at one time there was a tramway or conveyor over the main line to convey quarry waste off the site. When did Yeovil Junction spoil tip open?

A long time after the SECR 2 plankers were gone Meldon still occasionally loaded ballast in smaller opens when there was a wagon shortage.

scan0113.jpg.f07d3fce756192f9dc680c97f224b245.jpg

Here is a miscellaneous selection at Meldon. 9/7/81

cheers

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

Does this mean we'll get a new Kit-Kat van? And maybe a competing "historic revamp" later on?

Edited by TrainMan2001
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

All the talk of chocolate biscuits, bacon on the shovel and other things for breaks (or brakes) what’s missing is the milk to make the chocolate and for the driver to put in his tea.

Trouble is it’s stuck at the dairy because there are no decent tank wagons to fetch it….

• Craftsmanship/clever 3

18 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

We also have these in the warehouse...

IMG_6327.jpg

I prefer the plain chocolate version of the wafer. Available from Sainsburys in the blue wrapper.

I think that they may have done the teacakes in plain at one time as well, but not now.

All the best

Ray

A dance hall would make the most sense given the rest of the wagons are later ones. Plus you seem to be covering the bluebell versions. As a cambrian fan and customer who has a range of their wagons, I would say the dance hall mouldings are going home a bit now. The two I've had have been rather warped.

How about the first dcc ready guards van with lamps fitted... Show the others how to innovate :)

I've recently competed a Cambrian 'dancehall' and certainly found it rather 'challenging'.

Not the easiest of vehicles to tool-up for as ready-to-run apart from two different chassis to contend with - not to mention the possibility of a P-Way van conversion and the different doors on the prototype - your rear lights would have to accommodate different arrangements for different dates ! ( Oil lamps were notoriously dim, of course, so working tail/side lights are only of use on a model that habitually runs in the dark.)

11 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

I've recently competed a Cambrian 'dancehall' and certainly found it rather 'challenging'.

Not the easiest of vehicles to tool-up for as ready-to-run apart from two different chassis to contend with - not to mention the possibility of a P-Way van conversion and the different doors on the prototype - your rear lights would have to accommodate different arrangements for different dates ! ( Oil lamps were notoriously dim, of course, so working tail/side lights are only of use on a model that habitually runs in the dark.

Its an odd assumption that when a model is produced every variation needs to be tooled up these days. I get it, and it would be nice. But you would only need to tool the basic van with one chassis that could be released in a few liveries to match their wagons. Then people can either modify or build the cambrian van. Share the market :)

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Not the easiest of vehicles to tool-up for as ready-to-run apart from two different chassis to contend with - not to mention the possibility of a P-Way van conversion and the different doors on the prototype - your rear lights would have to accommodate different arrangements for different dates ! ( Oil lamps were notoriously dim, of course, so working tail/side lights are only of use on a model that habitually runs in the dark.)

I doubt any RTR maker would dream of taking on the full panoply of Dancehall options.

IIRC (it's a while since I built one) the Cambrian kit only covers one type of underframe, though it does include the alternative bits needed to make the converted P.Way van. I'm guessing it could probably be cross-kitted with the underframe from Cambrian's 15-ton SR Pillbox brake to produce the other main variant.

As you suggest, assembly does have its "idiosyncrasies" and I sidestepped quite a lot of the instructions when I built the second! Must do one for my own use sometime...

John

Edited by Dunsignalling