Bagged a bargain, sort of

Philip Jackson

Idly browsing the website I noticed they still have a few GWR CITY CLASS 4-4-0 NO.3717 'CITY OF TRURO' available. Ok they have been around a while but at £149.00 + delivery a bit of a bargain compared to current models

https://locomotionmodels.com/exclusive-models/steam-locomotives/gwr-city-class-4-4-0-no-3717-city-of-truro

• RMweb Gold
On 03/02/2022 at 11:05, cessna152towser said:

The link is telling me it is out of stock.

Probably just as well as I could have been tempted - City of Truro is a loco I have travelled behind in preservation.

Looks like they found some more....

Showing eight in stock.

https://locomotionmodels.com/exclusive-models/steam-locomotives/gwr-city-class-4-4-0-no-3717-city-of-truro

• Like 1

Guest Locomotion No. 3
18 hours ago, 30801 said:

We still have stocks of 'City of Truro' as 3717 with black frames (post 1912 numbering). It is 3440 with red frames that is no longer in stock.

We shall be attending Model Rail Scotland from 25th to 27th February 2022 with the Locomotion Models stand and look foward to meeting customers old and new to discuss our range of iconic models from the National Collection and also offer them for sale at Glasgow. Several of the models will be making their first journey across the border as they have been introduced since we were last able to attend in 2020. These include the Precedent, 94xx No. 9400, Terrier 'Boxhill' and D Class No. 737. 

We look forward to seeing you there.

Dennis

• RMweb Premium

So I have bit the bullet, or pulled the trigger, or whatever, and placed my order.

Wanted this model since it was first announced but at that time the price seemed a bit steep.

Still, it is a drop in the bucket compared to how much I spent on chasing the full size loco while she was back in steam for the centenary of her record breaking run.

York Railfest 2004 for a ride behind City of Truro on the goods lines.

Locomotion in 2006 for some photos of City of Truro in steam.

Strathspey Railway 2006 where she was tucked away on the day of my visit.

Bluebell Railway, 25th October 2006 - that was some day out, up at 4am, drove to Newcastle Airport for a day return trip to Stansted on Easyjet, train to London, train to East Grinstead, bus to Kingscote, train to Sheffield Park for some shots of City of Truro which was stopped for boiler washout on the day of my visit, back home here in Scotland same day just before midnight!

1186783606_2a7813b1a7_o.jpg

15974632616_be2291cec2_o.jpg

Edited by cessna152towser
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

So, City of Truro arrived today, and Wow what a beauty!  When Truro was first announced in April 2017 this was on my nice to have but rather expensive list.   My layout is based on a mythical location somewhere in the south of Scotland or north of England.  Truro's real life travels took her to Sprouston shed in the 1940s, to Glasgow for the Scottish Industries Exhibition in 1959, to the Strathspey Railway in 2006 and to York and Shildon in recent years so is entirely appropriate here under rule 1.  The detail is fantastic and there are numerous add on parts such as the brake gear, support posts for cab sheeting and brass name, number and works plates, all of which I shall wait for a day when there is good light and I have a steadier hand before affixing.  With the original price being held, at  today's going rates for 00 locos this now represents very good value for money.   Pulls four Bachmann coaches happily on the level.   The footplate looks quite narrow for fitting a crew so I will need to give this some thought.  Earlier today there were just six left on Locomotion website.  One happy customer and grateful to RMWeb for the Heads Up. 

IMG_7424.JPG

Edited by cessna152towser
  • Like 2