Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Grahame Hitchen, 'bgman'

Captain Kernow

• RMweb Gold

Very sorry to hear the news today when meeting friends earlier. Very sad day. I met Grahame on many occasions at exhibitions, usually to pass on a friendly jibe, but always with good humour. I will always remember his friendliness and sense of humour. Not until recently had I realised that he was such a talented modeller, having been very modest with his modelling, but ready to offer his assistance / guidance.

RMWeb and other exhibitions in the south west will be a little 'empty' without him.

I remember him 'bumping' into him in Exeter Central train station one day when I had been shopping with my wife and proceeded to jibe me about things, all in the best of taste of course, which made my wife laugh. Then having a short journey together until he alighted at home station.

Will be sorely missed

RIP BGman

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Gedward said:

Back in June last year on my thread, I posted...

Hikers have been using well-trodden paths to Bovey Tor over the years.

To which Grahame replied with an image of himself on top of Dartmoor.

"And so do blokes on their mountain bikes !"

So then I couldn't resist a few tweaks to said image in photoshop.

And being Grahame, he was very amused by this.

IMG_0020.jpg.80df7cb0cefec7cbde5b3454cdc7a46f.jpg

Rocket man.jpg

Rocket man2.jpg

That's excellent! I can see how he would have been really amused by that!

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Here is the information for logging into the live streaming of Grahame's funeral on Friday this week (25th February):

Name: Grahame Hitchen

Date & Time: Friday 25/02/2022 14:00

Webcast Login PIN: 538-3009

https://www.wesleymedia.co.uk/webcast-view

Webcast viewing instructions: https://clientportal.wesleymedia.co.uk/email-template/webcast_viewing_instructions.pdf

Event Number: 1048889

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Thanks 8

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the link Tim - alas we will be out as her ladyship will be attending for readjustment of her hairdo in Marlow and I won't be able to get home in time.  Grahame was a great bloke and always good fun to have a chat with while his tales about Jim Russell's photographic business had to heard firsthand to be really enjoyed.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Dear All,

Not sure if I mentioned that the wake is at the nearby Blue Ball Inn from 3pm - https://blueballpub.co.uk/

Tim could you repost the link on Status again in Friday so I can link to it?  I dont know how to save the damn ink as I am usless at that sort of thing.

P

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Tim could you repost the link on Status again in Friday so I can link to it?  I dont know how to save the damn ink as I am usless at that sort of thing.

P

I've just posted the link to the venue for the wake in my status thingey, is that what you meant, Phil?

My status is still visible on the main screen at the moment.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

It was a sad day, but also a nice one. Tim's eulogy was lovely and I'm sure Grahame would have been pleased that so many of his railway friends were able share memories of him after the service. 

Best wishes,

Nick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

Lovely to see everyone today.  I only wish the circumstances leading to it were so very different. A lovely service and a real privilege to not only be part of it but also to meet Grahame's family. 

The ride home was a tad nippy in parts but significantly less eventful than the ride down. 

Now drinking red wine (jamshed Malbec ) and listening to Swedish House Mafia. 

God bless you Grahame. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
On 25/02/2022 at 19:27, Brinkly said:

It was a sad day, but also a nice one. Tim's eulogy was lovely and I'm sure Grahame would have been pleased that so many of his railway friends were able share memories of him after the service. 

Best wishes,

Nick.

IMG_20220225_162740.jpg.e3e5547bc9bdf671c62dcd7151013bfb.jpg

Cheers Gbloke

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1