Paignton Zoo railway

Kris

• RMweb Premium

This is no more. It was removed earlier this month.

Apparently it had not been used for a couple of years due to covid and a decision was made based on the need for repairs. 

The area looks very sad now. 

IMG_4269.jpeg.71d93a8dfc2143779a485f81d9e532fc.jpeg

• Friendly/supportive 5

I wonder if they'll be able to move the track on. When I last went the track from Thorpe Park's old railway (closed 2011) was sat in a pile under Swarm - I think it can be made out to the left of the track at 2:05 in the video below. I can't help but think someone would take it (or would have done a few years ago) and I can't imagine that letting it rot is the most profitable use.

21 hours ago, DK123GWR said:

I wonder if they'll be able to move the track on. When I last went the track from Thorpe Park's old railway (closed 2011) was sat in a pile under Swarm - I think it can be made out to the left of the track at 2:05 in the video below. I can't help but think someone would take it (or would have done a few years ago) and I can't imagine that letting it rot is the most profitable use.

Didn’t the coaches from Thorpe Park (possibly some track as well) go to Lynbarn (Milky Way theme park) and some to Woody Bay?

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 31/01/2022 at 21:59, DK123GWR said:

The Thorpe Park stock has now been dispersed, with one of the Severn Lamb 4-4-0DHs and a rake of carriages going to East Links Family Park in East Lothian and the Alan Keef shunter going to Hayling Island. Homes have also been found for the others locos and stock although as yet Ino announcement has been made as to where.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

When our children were children, I remember going for a ride on the line at Paignton Zoo. Seem to recall the motive power looked rather like a 37. 

I have a picture somewhere, I'll post it when I eventually find it! Based on 37 with four-wheel bogies. When I was a child they had an American-style loco but I think this was vandalised and ended up in the lake to be replaced by the '37' which was produced locally by a firm in St. Marychurch.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Not Jeremy said:

I think this might be it, in happier days..

1247414795_BeardDawlish020.jpg.2eadcc6463a56fec123fc3b7d71c337a.jpg

That is Goodrington Beach ' Peter Pan' Railway possabily in the early 1960's judging by the kids clothes... we lived about a mile away from there above Goodrington carriage sidings at the time.

1940728347_1_peter-panJPG(1).jpg.6203b8f1b402ba7674b74b2109f65fc4.jpg

Edited by John Besley
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I've just changed the picture as it was reversed (from Devon Live website) the area behind the railings was the playpark and had beach behind the huts. 

From memory the line simply went out and back to the cafe at the far end of South Goodrington.

Last time we went for a walk along there it was not too difficult to work out the route of the line.

372496784_1_peter-panJPG(1)_1.jpg.d2128957d3aadd6f32ff5f6c6d172482.jpg

Edited by John Besley
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thank you very much for the correct information John.

Which makes perfect sense when looking at the railway pictures on the original film negatives, taken by Wally Beard I believe, including this rather nice (G)WR bracket signal.

1421398366_Beardbracketsignal.jpg.fe63ee7964e894dd2a5fdcbdaa3101b7.jpg

Simon

• Like 3