Building another O gauge micro layout and weathering stock

Nick G

• RMweb Premium

Hi Nick

The O Gauge is all looking very good.

Theres no way back now.

Will you continue with 00 as well ?

I have so far resisted the temptation but with a new 0 Gauge club layout starting  up and Alan Cromarty (Oulton TMD) building a his first O Gauge layout it’s very tempting.

Terry 

6 hours ago, ELTEL said:

Hi Nick

The O Gauge is all looking very good.

Theres no way back now.

Will you continue with 00 as well ?

Thanks Terry, I will keep the two OO layouts I have and the 009 but don't think I will build another OO layout.

Seeing Alan's O gauge layout at the Midland Small show a couple of years ago suitably impressed me to have a dabble! He says it's pay back for my Dyserth Road inspiring him to build Oulton TMD!

• 1 month later...

Another Dapol O gauge 08 nearly complete. A bit more subtle weathering and a coat of matt varnish to blend everything in. Copied from a photo of 08702 at Chester in 1991. I have no idea what the white label is on the engine side door is but I have reproduced it along with what is left of the data panel. Fitted with a Zimo sound chip and stay alive.

08702-5-4-22.jpg

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

The faded 08 looks lovely Nick, certainly a job well done. I'm tempted to have a look at O gauge myself, being suitably impressed with the level of detail and competitive prices on offer.

Edited by Chris56057

6 hours ago, Chris56057 said:

The faded 08 looks lovely Nick, certainly a job well done. I'm tempted to have a look at O gauge myself, being suitably impressed with the level of detail and competitive prices on offer.

Thanks Chris.

Yes, the prices between O and OO aren't so far apart now, for instance the VEA vans in the thread are £50 or less if you shop around. I paid £167 for the 08, boxed never used. Obviously I spent a bit more on aa sound chip but you get the idea. 

I also fing O gauge much easier to detail and weather but that's probably an age thing!

• RMweb Gold

I've enjoyed reading your progress to date so thanks for taking the time to post.  I am seriously tempted to switch from US HO to UK O.  The cost has put me off along with the lack of modern image, but as you say the Dapol 08 is not much above the Hornby offering and then there is the 66 on the way and Wagons are not much above the Red and blue offerings in OO. 

Heljan locos are somewhat more expensive, but I guess you cut your cloth and reduce the numbers you have as space is much less these days.  The other issue is that I would only use a 10ft by 10ft 'L' in the spare Bedroom, but you are giving me some great ideas. 

Cheers

On 14/04/2022 at 10:58, brynna79 said:

I've enjoyed reading your progress to date so thanks for taking the time to post.  I am seriously tempted to switch from US HO to UK O.  The cost has put me off along with the lack of modern image, but as you say the Dapol 08 is not much above the Hornby offering and then there is the 66 on the way and Wagons are not much above the Red and blue offerings in OO. 

Heljan locos are somewhat more expensive, but I guess you cut your cloth and reduce the numbers you have as space is much less these days.  The other issue is that I would only use a 10ft by 10ft 'L' in the spare Bedroom, but you are giving me some great ideas. 

Cheers

Thanks, you are correct in your assumption that you need fewer locos in O gauge as you rightly say you normally have to build smaller. I have sold quite a few of my OO locos although I will be keeping my 2 exhibition layouts but probably won't build another in OO.

When I start building one of my small O gauge layouts I will chart its progress on this thread.

The 16t mineral now with data panel removed, number panel painted out ready for new transfers. Chassis now painted in under frame dirt, buffer shanks silver and the first black wash around the side doors...

MCV-17-4-22.jpg

• Like 7

On 18/04/2022 at 16:19, Nick G said:

Another Dapol 08, I seem to be getting addicted to doing these. This time Carlisle allocated 08912 as it was around 1991 with red sole bar and slightly faded blue paint.

08912-17-4-22.jpg

08912-17-4-22a.jpg

That looks familiar!!

08912C.jpg.5db4754584954492f5d010b6bc729ad1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

17 hours ago, Bungus the Fogeyman said:

How about having a bang at a green 08 with TOPS numbers Nick? Any chance of a few more close ups of the 16 tonner?

Disgusting of Market Harborough

Green isn't really my thing Dave, which 08's had tops numbers in green and I will see if I can be inspired!  I will take some more photos of my 16 tanners laters. This is partly your fault you now (Tudwick Road Siding).

Edited by Nick G