Building another O gauge micro layout and weathering stock

Nick G

1 hour ago, Kevin Johnson said:

Nick nice weathering on your class 08 172.

Thanks Kevin. I started assembling a Tim Horn baseboard today to build a small 6 x 2 shunting layout. I will show the progress on this thread.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Nick G said:

Thanks Kevin. I started assembling a Tim Horn baseboard today to build a small 6 x 2 shunting layout. I will show the progress on this thread.

Nick I look forward to seeing your shunting layout build.

Edited by Kevin Johnson

15 hours ago, Nick G said:

great, now you’ve started to physically build the layout, it’s no longer flirting with the idea. You’ll have to change the thread title now LOL 🚂🚃 🛠️

• Funny 2

Great series of posts Nick showing some deft touches in the weathering dept.

I see you have made a start on your Tim Horn baseboards, have you got a track plan drawn up yet?

It's all going very well and I have tagged it as one to follow so I look forward to your progress.

Well done.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Barnaby said:

Great series of posts Nick showing some deft touches in the weathering dept.

I see you have made a start on your Tim Horn baseboards, have you got a track plan drawn up yet?

It's all going very well and I have tagged it as one to follow so I look forward to your progress.

Well done.

Thanks, just had a quick look at your King Street Goods thread and noticed you are a Sig-naTrak controller user. I have been a NCE user for some years on my 00 gauge exhibition layouts but bought a Sig-naTrak system back in 2019 I like it and will use it on this layout. Love the fact you can name all the functions on the main controller but use the hand held controller.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, 47606odin said:

great, now you’ve started to physically build the layout, it’s no longer flirting with the idea. You’ll have to change the thread title now LOL 🚂🚃 🛠️

No more flirting, married with 10 kids now!

• Funny 3

• Nick G changed the title to Flirting with O gauge! (Now building a layout)
20 hours ago, sf315 said:

Now you’ve stacked them they won’t be used again much once the O Gauge bug has set in. 

You could well be right although two of those will appear in magazines this year so my interest may be renewed.

• Like 2

A blank canvas so to speak. The photos seems to distort the depth but it's actually 6ft by 2ft. There is a top to go on when its all finished along with a small fiddle yard on the left hand end.

29-5-22a.jpg

• Like 10

I’m looking forward to seeing how you get on with this, Nick!

Judging by your previous efforts, it’s going to be great.

I’m an ‘on again, off again’ 0 scale lover - in addition to the actual presence of this scale, you have a much closer scale to gauge relationship than with 00 (which always looks narrow gauge to me!). This gives an enormous advantage to the scale in my book.

Cheers,

John 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Allegheny1600 said:

I’m looking forward to seeing how you get on with this, Nick!

Judging by your previous efforts, it’s going to be great.

I’m an ‘on again, off again’ 0 scale lover - in addition to the actual presence of this scale, you have a much closer scale to gauge relationship than with 00 (which always looks narrow gauge to me!). This gives an enormous advantage to the scale in my book.

Cheers,

John 

Thanks John, I know what you mean about its presence and scale looking right. I also find it much easier to weather and detail due to the bigger scale.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hi Nick, your board looks very good.  It has the Rice look to it.  6 feet is a bit short for 0 gauge if you want passenger traffic.  Should be very satisfying if you intend to stick to goods though.  Do you have a track plan? (Maybe I missed it).

John

1 minute ago, brossard said:

Hi Nick, your board looks very good.  It has the Rice look to it.  6 feet is a bit short for 0 gauge if you want passenger traffic.  Should be very satisfying if you intend to stick to goods though.  Do you have a track plan? (Maybe I missed it).

John

Hi John, all my layouts have the same style of boards with solid ends and a top, all from Tim Horn's laser cut boards. No passenger traffic in fact non of my 3 other layouts have passenger traffic, freight  & locos only. No mainline locos either just an 03 and a couple of 08's and 4 wheel wagons for shunting. No track plan yet just an idea in my head!

17 minutes ago, Nick G said:

Hi John, all my layouts have the same style of boards with solid ends and a top, all from Tim Horn's laser cut boards. No passenger traffic in fact non of my 3 other layouts have passenger traffic, freight  & locos only. No mainline locos either just an 03 and a couple of 08's and 4 wheel wagons for shunting. No track plan yet just an idea in my head!

Ah, good to know.  I sort of wish I had chosen a goods only layout for my layout.  It is 21' long so a bit cumbersome.  I plan to take it in it's unfinished state to a show in a couple of weeks.  This will be a proof of concept for future outings.

I did start an industrial style layout but haven't made much progress lately.

John

4 hours ago, Nick G said:

A blank canvas so to speak. The photos seems to distort the depth but it's actually 6ft by 2ft. There is a top to go on when its all finished along with a small fiddle yard on the left hand end.

29-5-22a.jpg

Nick, i bet that gets extended ?

we must have a catch up ?

Craig