Graham Farish Spring 2022 Announcements

AY Mod

• Moderators

BACHMANN EUROPE UNVEIL FIRST NEW GRAHAM FARISH PRODUCTS FOR 2022 WITH SPRING 2022 BRITISH RAILWAY ANNOUNCEMENTS

In N scale, a model of one of Britain’s newest trains, the Class 769 Bi-Mode Multiple Unit, was unveiled by Graham Farish. Like the real units, the Graham Farish model shares many similarities with the company’s N scale Class 319 EMU, and features include a powerful coreless motor and flywheel, electrical pickup from all axles, an unobstructed interior including seat and table detail, integral conductive couplings between vehicles and functional multiple unit couplings at the outer ends. Directional and internal lighting is fitted along with an easy access Next18 DCC decoder socket with pre-fitted speaker.

Graham Farish also unveiled new versions of the ubiquitous Class 08 Diesel Shunter, and these models have been treated to a new chassis which incorporates a DCC decoder socket for the first time, along with a speaker, allowing SOUND FITTED versions of each of the seven models arriving this Spring to be offered, in addition to the non-sound models.

371-004B Class 08 08721 ‘Starlet’ BR Red Star Express Parcels £144.95

371-004BSF Class 08 08721 ‘Starlet’ BR Red Star Express Parcels £244.95

371-004BSF-1.jpg

371-007A Class 08 08953 BR Engineers Grey £144.95

371-007ASF Class 08 08953 BR Engineers Grey £244.95

371-007ASF.jpg

371-010 Class 08 08441 RSS Railway Support Services £144.95

371-010SF Class 08 08441 RSS Railway Support Services £244.95

371-010SF-2.jpg

371-011 Class 08 08417 Network Rail Yellow £144.95

371-011SF Class 08 08417 Network Rail Yellow £244.95

371-011SF.jpg

371-012 Class 08 08919 Rail Express Systems £144.95

371-012SF Class 08 08919 Rail Express Systems £244.95

371-012SF-1.jpg

371-013SF Class 08 13287 BR Green (Early Emblem) £244.95

371-013SF.jpg

371-015DSF Class 08 08818 BR Blue [W] £254.95

371-015DSF.jpg

372-850 Class 769 4-Car BiMU 769008 Transport for Wales £349.95

372-850.jpg

Further EFE N gauge announcements can be found here - https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/170101-efe-rail-spring-2022-announcements/

371-004BSF-1.jpg

371-004B.jpg

42-0004 Coal Staithes - Stone £17.95

42-0004.jpg
42-002 Coach Washing Plant £42.95

42-002.jpg
42-210 Low Relief Multi Storey Car Park £54.95

42-210.jpg
42-216 Low Relief High Street Store £39.95

42-216 LR High Street Store (the Beatties).jpg
42-294 Double Track Tunnel £31.95

42-294.jpg
42-556 Storm Haven Tent £21.95

42-556.jpg

• Like 1

• AY Mod pinned this topic

The 769 is a good addition to the 319 release, although whether I can ever justify £350 for a 4 car unit remains to be seen. Upgrading the 08 is further evidence of the market driving DCC in all models, but most interesting for me is the OO mk2f DVT in revised version, meaning an N gauge Network Rail one will likely follow next year.

Prices inevitably will become a discussion point, and it was very interesting in the video where they talk about the OO collectors club wagon being too costly to produce for retailers to sell - at £65 direct from Bachmann, would that be around £80 a wagon if retailed? The economics of our hobby are changing, and complex models like that, as Bachmann’s decision suggests, may now be priced out of practicality for them. How this affects their choice of future releases remains to be seen. 

David

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

The 769 looks lovely and I'm sure Northern and GWR versions will follow. Just typical that we were working on rejigging the N-Train chassis to do one ourselves!

Actually rather tempted by the new 08, even though I don't have any sort of DCC setup.

6 minutes ago, bmthtrains - David said:

The 769 is a good addition to the 319 release, although whether I can ever justify £350 for a 4 car unit remains to be seen. Upgrading the 08 is further evidence of the market driving DCC in all models, but most interesting for me is the OO mk2f DVT in revised version, meaning an N gauge Network Rail one will likely follow next year.

Prices inevitably will become a discussion point, and it was very interesting in the video where they talk about the OO collectors club wagon being too costly to produce for retailers to sell - at £65 direct from Bachmann, would that be around £80 a wagon if retailed? The economics of our hobby are changing, and complex models like that, as Bachmann’s decision suggests, may now be priced out of practicality for them. How this affects their choice of future releases remains to be seen. 

David

I was in a shop last week and they said that the Bachmann rep has said there was a completely 'new' Farish model going to be announced.  I think anybody's reaction depends on your definition of 'new'.  I know they are in love with the marketing speak but it does create expectations which they don't meet. One of the new livery 08's  is a nice fit but I would have preferred the benefit of keeping the old chassis  for the non-sound version.

I will have to check the OO section to check the reference but DVTs came in Mk3b and Mk4 versions, Dapol already did a NR yellow Mk3b DVT

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Very happy to see the Class 769 as it shows that Farish haven't given up on new tooling in N!  I have also long felt that there are some lines in Wales that are very modellable; so the TfW version is especially welcome!

Like woodenhead I will probably be trading in my current Farish 08s to generate the cash for one of the new DCC Sound versions - probably RSS black, or Network Rail yellow re-imagined as a private spot-hire loco.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

They've bagged one sale with the RSS 08, and seriously impressed they've fitted sound into it. I wonder how much impact the NGS Hunslet had in their decision to go all out on that. 

The 769 is a good solid use of the 319 tooling, so not completely unexpected and provides Welsh railway fans with something bang up to date, which must be a first!

There is an deluge of multiple units about to hit N Gauge, which after years of just a handful is nice to see. Hopefully in the next week or two the revolution 320/321 will be in modellers hands, and with the 319, 769, 313, 450 and 158 all at various stages it's not a bad time for N Gauge MU fans!

Tom.  

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

No vanilla non sound version of the Blue 08?  Have no interest in the DCC gubbins.

The Bachmann site lists non sound versions available for all liveries.

Tom.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

15 minutes ago, AndyB said:

I like the tent.

But I may stick with the ones I made from DAS for now. 

I've put enough of those Patrol Tents up in my life in Scouting to not want one as a model as well :lol::lol:

Regards

Neal. 

• Funny 3

28 minutes ago, TomE said:

The Bachmann site lists non sound versions available for all liveries.

Tom.

Indeed, the non sound versions have no decoder of any kind fitted.

I will be ordering a green one, sound fitted of course. Looking at the internal views of the chassis, there is plenty of space for a keep alive to be fitted too.  That will be a must have on such a tiny loco.

• Like 1

Impressive they got sound in the 08, I will be having one of those.  Bachmann seem to be chassis upgrading previously announced re-runs/reliveries, but then adding a few more variations on to the already announced batch.  Some 37s due in the summer...

• RMweb Premium

The parcels and plain grey 08s are tempting.

Where are the re-runs of class 37s, 47s, Jinties and other run-of-the-mill locos that modellers want? And not forgetting Mk1 seconds. I really want to see more of Farish's previously releases re-run more than once every ten years.

I quite like the quarterly announcements, but I was of the belief that they were of models that were due in the shops in the next quarter. There's still plenty outstanding from previous updates that I won't be holding my breath for these.

Steven B.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, John M Upton said:

No vanilla non sound version of the Blue 08?  Have no interest in the DCC gubbins.

Should be able to pick up a reasonably priced non sound one from all those needing to sell their ones to finance a new sound one. ;-)

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, Calnefoxile said:

I've put enough of those Patrol Tents up in my life in Scouting to not want one as a model as well :lol::lol:

Regards

Neal. 

You and me both, Neil!

I can see the range expanding to include a toilet tent next!

:read:  :stinker:  :read:

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

It is positive to see a new tooling and unsurprising to see the 08's getting a new chassis given the 03 and 04 had this announced 3 months ago. I wonder if they will arrive before the summer announcement. 

1 minute ago, Kris said:

It is positive to see a new tooling and unsurprising to see the 08's getting a new chassis given the 03 and 04 had this announced 3 months ago. I wonder if they will arrive before the summer announcement. 

Yep, and probably not the best time to announce new products for the next three months - just as the Chinese New Year starts.

• Agree 1

The level of comments following this quarter's announcements is probably indicative of far lower expectations as far as the Farish range is concerned. Admittedly the sound 08 was a pleasant surprise, I expect most had expected DCC ready but no more. What I find disappointing is along the same lines as Steven B above, no new releases of existing tool models, there are now only three steam locos actually in stock at Barwell and another 11 with no arrival date yet provide (and on the list for some while). I have been told that the 5MTs are likely to arrive towards the end of this year, early next so presumably Fairburn, 4F and J39 will be even later. 

I am pleased to have a couple of Sonic J50s on order to look forward to, the jury is out on whether I continue to wait for the sound fitted 5MT, I have had it on order a long while and while appreciating cost of everything is going up, if in scope for another price rise, a further 8% on top in March will likely cause me to cut and run sadly.

Bachmann have said their Farish Brand is something they are proud of and I have no reason to doubt that, but the slow trickle of things coming through now doesn't feel at all healthy for the furthering of British N.

Roy

• Friendly/supportive 1

8 minutes ago, bluedepot said:

does the new 08 have lights?

is the speaker pre fitted in all models? 

As with other models fitted with N18 socket, the speaker should be included.  No indication on lights, the DCC functions do not mention lights either so I imagine lights have not been fitted.  The images don't suggest lights and the video displayed the speaker and socket but no indication of lights either.

To be honest, I'd rather have DCC and sound than lights on an 08.

• RMweb Premium

Unless it was one of the very small number of 08's fitted with a high intensity headlight (no more than half a dozen if that) then quite frankly lights in N scale are rather pointless.

• Agree 4