Bachmann OO Spring 2022 Announcements inc. OO9

AY Mod

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Or simply representing a vast improvement on no Vanwide at all

Or a VEA which isn't. https://www.hattons.co.uk/8638/hornby_r6178u_vea_van_in_br_brown_unboxed_/stockdetail

11 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

the purchase of one is not compulsory.

Not far off it in this house once I've looked back at 20yo kitbuilt ones.

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Legend said:

Meanwhile I'm just glad I picked up their last iteration of vent vans for £10-£12, £40 for one is eyewatering . No thanks 

They’re new tooling, and £30-40 is around the price of new tool single vehicles these days. 

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, PMP said:

They’re new tooling, and £30-40 is around the price of new tool single vehicles these days. 

Oxford Banana Vans 

I'm aware they are new tooling, but as I fortunately have several of the old ones , and dare I say it Mainline ones before that , I'll not be bothered . I appreciate it'll be a step up in detail  but its one I dont need . 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Legend said:

Oxford Banana Vans 

I'm aware they are new tooling, but as I fortunately have several of the old ones , and dare I say it Mainline ones before that , I'll not be bothered . I appreciate it'll be a step up in detail  but its one I dont need . 

Yup that ones cheaper than the average. Meanwhile most new tool releases are in the £30-40 range, and they aren’t going to get any cheaper.

You mentioned you’ve got several of the older ones, who previously did a RTR GE banana van?

Edited by PMP

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Peter749 said:

I was hoping that having made a 319/769 in N Gauge that a OO Gauge version might be on the cards - but then the £350+ price would put me off.

Peter , possibly the issue here is that a 4 car unit in OO may come in at around £500. I think the 4 BEP is around that price .  It maybe that Bachmann are waiting to see how well the BEP sells before doing more multiple units . 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, PMP said:

Yup that ones cheaper than the average. Meanwhile most new tool releases are in the £30-40 range, and they aren’t going to get any cheaper.

You mentioned you’ve got several of the older ones, who previously did a RTR GE banana van?

I was referring to previous post on Vent Vans .  You'll be appalled to know that I 'm not really aware of all the different types , to me they are vent vans .  I even run old Wrenn ones 

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

https://rapidotrains.co.uk/secr-10t-covered-goods-wagon/

https://rapidotrains.co.uk/gunpowder-vans/

It’s far easier to find the ‘normal’ RRP price for new tooling items, than finding the exception.

1 hour ago, James Makin said:

I hate to be 'that guy' but the MTA's are the wrong tooling sadly - the real ones are cut-down MKA 'Limpet's and have the bodystyle of equally spaced ribs on the side, rather than the EWS new-build MTA design that Bachmann have used - it's the equivalent of when Hornby when they're just jazzing up old tooling and hoping the modeller doesn't care enough about wagons I think! Hopefully makes them a bit of cash though to fund the good quality items :good_mini:

The chassis can be improved with new springs and brake pipe detailing so all-in they can be a great fun project, but I'd start out with a secondhand one and a bit of bashing me thinks!

Cheers,

James

I’m happy that you are that guy James , if they are that wrong I’m glad someone tells me TBH ;) I just see pretty paint jobs and act like a magpie .

Can I be the 470th to ad to the faded , “ my wallet has made a sigh of relief , started learning golf and run off with the au pair “, but I shudder at the cost of raw materials and labour  now in China if these are indicative of companies RRP to keep going . I wish them the best of luck and the products are no less good .

Edited by rob D2
Autocucumber
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, PMP said:

https://rapidotrains.co.uk/secr-10t-covered-goods-wagon/

https://rapidotrains.co.uk/gunpowder-vans/

It’s far easier to find the ‘normal’ RRP price for new tooling items, than finding the exception.

Why pick out a manufacturer that is very expensive to make an invalid point? 

It's like saying I reckon a new Mini is too expensive for what it is and you saying "It's not as expensive as a Ferrari".....

Besides if you shop around you can get a discount of about a fiver off those Rapido wagons. So kind of makes your point even more invalid.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/755698/rapido_trains_uk_906001_5_plank_open_wagon_diag_d1347_in_secr_grey_9601/stockdetail

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

Please remember that this announcement from Bachmann only covers the next 3 months!

That’s what I think the intention was stated as, but realistically this doesn’t hold.  

This isn’t a complaint, just an observation - we are still waiting for some models from the last set of announcements, while the announcements today seem to have delivery dates going up to August, which is around 6 months away. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Paul.Uni said:

What are you basing the "current" price of one on? As to date Bachmann have not released a RRP for them.

With a short wheelbase goods van and 4-wheel open ballast wagons at an RRP of £40, it seems reasonable to expect new coaches to be significantly more than double that.

I think Bachmann will keep the Bulleids already announced below three figures, but it'll be interesting to see how much (or little) under. Whatever they have planned to follow them will almost inevitably break through the £100 level.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, amwells said:

That’s what I think the intention was stated as, but realistically this doesn’t hold.  

This isn’t a complaint, just an observation - we are still waiting for some models from the last set of announcements, while the announcements today seem to have delivery dates going up to August, which is around 6 months away. 

In both cases, it probably reflects the slow boats from China having become much slower than before....

General impression is that they take four-to-six weeks longer nowadays than pre-pandemic.

More intermediate stops and (possibly) travelling more slowly to save fuel.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Why pick out a manufacturer that is very expensive to make an invalid point? 

It's like saying I reckon a new Mini is too expensive for what it is and you saying "It's not as expensive as a Ferrari".....

Besides if you shop around you can get a discount of about a fiver off those Rapido wagons. So kind of makes your point even more invalid.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/755698/rapido_trains_uk_906001_5_plank_open_wagon_diag_d1347_in_secr_grey_9601/stockdetail

Jason

AIUI, the Bachmann Vanwide will have an RRP around £40, so  a real-world retail price between £34 and £36 if discounted by 10% to 15%.

The Rapido wagons have RRP's of £33 and are being offered at £28 discounted.

(Meaningless odd pennies omitted from all prices.)

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Informative/Useful 1