OO Gauge GWR Toplight Mainline & City Coaches announced

Free At Last

• RMweb Gold
On 01/06/2022 at 12:16, Miss Prism said:

When did the body colour of GWR coach tail lamps change to white?

According to Atkins "GWR Goods Train Working" the same date as the head lamp change: Collett sent out the instruction letter on 22 December 1936. The change to be made gradually as the existing stock of lamps was exhausted and when they came in for repair.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Tail lamp brackets included on a blank door first appeared for use on trailer rail cars in August/September 1914 and in February 1915 it was proposed that a similar arrangement should be introduced generally.  presumably the idea of incorporating the lamp bracket with the outer frame of the gangway came later.

As far as the colour of tail lamps is concerned in May 1936 the matter was referred ro the GWR Rules & Regulations Committee which considered that white lamps would be more distinctive than red and noted that the other.  Accordingly the committee recommended that tests should be made and noted that the other Companies were adopting white as the standard.

At its meeting in late October 1936 the committee reviewed the reports and agreed as a result of of the report submitted that white (cellulose sprayed should be substituted for red.  At the same time the matter of altering side lamps to white was also considered but it was recommended that no change should be made).  

At its March 1937 the committee further recommended that various trials should be carried in respect of the colour of the main train tail lamp when a train conveyed a slip portion and also a change to the double red (horzontallly) tail lamps should be made  (from red to white).  Further test with the colour of  the vertical double red tail lamp were also requested by the committee.  in February 1938, following receipt of reports , the committee recommended that the vericall double light tail lamp should also be painted white together with altering the existing red targets on these lamps to white

• Informative/Useful 6

• 1 month later...

Having seen the proposed livery for the 1928 twin shield version, I'm worried that the bolections seem to be cream, not the correct mahogany.

Painting the bolections on my Slaters toplights is one of the more daunting tasks I'm facing!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another question regarding the prototype:

In which sets were the Toplights typically used in the 1920s and 30s in commuting service? E.g. sets of 3, 4 or 6 coaches or depending on the density of traffic? (Unfortunately, I did not yet manage to obtain specific literature regarding GWR coaches)

Which would have been alternative traction besides classes 51XX/61XX?

Thank you.

Mark

Good evening Mark,

The earliest picture I have is 6160 sometime in the 1930's with shirt button roundel at Windsor. The trains always ran as sets of six coaches up until the late 50's when they were replaced by more modern carriages. The original motive power was the large 2-4-0 Metro tanks until replaced by the 61xx prairie locomotives during the late 40's and 50's, although I do have apicture of a set on the Fairford branch being hauled by small prairie 4513.

In answer to Grumpywon question the bolection mouldings will be painted a mahogany colour on the GWR period carriages, this was an unfortunate error on the first decorated bodyshell, but thank you for noticing this.

Regards,

Richard

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Guardian said:

Another question regarding the prototype:

In which sets were the Toplights typically used in the 1920s and 30s in commuting service? E.g. sets of 3, 4 or 6 coaches or depending on the density of traffic? (Unfortunately, I did not yet manage to obtain specific literature regarding GWR coaches)

Which would have been alternative traction besides classes 51XX/61XX?

Thank you.

Mark

Large Metros, 36XX 2-4-2T "Birdcage" Tanks and 2221 4-4-2T County Tanks were the usual motive power prior to the 61XXs.

For details of those look here.

http://www.gwr.org.uk/no4-coup-tanks.html

But I'm afraid you are looking at kits or scratch building. I'm pretty sure some ingenious modellers have "bashed" the last two out of RTR or kit parts over the years.

Jason

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Richard

The livery drawings  show  the  destination blinds as empty white space on the side of each coach.

Will the coaches come with a sheet of destinations for the purchaser to select from and fit  or will set destinations be fitted in the factory?

Thanks

Chris

Edited by Cdg06883
I directed the question to the wrong person
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, coeurdelyon said:

Hi Robin,

FYI, I have attached a couple of snippets of the shirtbutton and brown liveries

Regards,

Richard178866609_shirtbuttonlivery.JPG.5e75b6acf88bf4ade62b30f0a9b1dd39.JPG

Thanks Richard, what colour is the body of the rear lamp? It’s not clear on the attached image. 
Thanks.

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, coeurdelyon said:

Hi Neal,

On the G W R Chocolate and cream carriages, the tail lamp will be red, whilst the All brown and Crimson will have white tail lamps.

Regards,

Richard

That’s great thanks Richard.

Whats the schedule looking like now? I’m interested in the shirtbutton livery, which I think was your second batch. Are they still slated for Q4 or into next year now?

Thanks

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 20/07/2022 at 08:05, coeurdelyon said:

Hi Neal,

Both batches are planned for this year, the first batch will be going into production next month.

Thanks for your interest in these carriages

Regards,

Richard

On 26/08/2022 at 09:23, sjrixon said:

It's been a month.. Just wondering if there is any news?

Hi Richard, @coeurdelyon Not sure if you have seen the post from Scott above - Is there any news on the carriages, have they started in production yet?

Plus of course, is there any news on the corridor Toplights that was hinted at when these were announced.

Thanks very much. Neal.

Edited by Neal Ball
typo

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Stefen1988 said:

Which Locomotives were common to haul them?

On 18/07/2022 at 20:03, Steamport Southport said:

Large Metros, 36XX 2-4-2T "Birdcage" Tanks and 2221 4-4-2T County Tanks were the usual motive power prior to the 61XXs.

For details of those look here.

http://www.gwr.org.uk/no4-coup-tanks.html

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A couple of decorated examples were on show down at the Kernow 20th Anniversary weekend and they look like they will be show-stopping examples of r-t-r rolling stock.   Very impressive work from Dapol and they deserve to sell like hot cakes.

While not wishing to be a party pooper I did however note (as I would of course) that a white tail lamp probably wouldn't have been seen with the early livery on these two samples as the lamps were still painted red at the time of that livery.  But having said that the appearance of the tail lamp is excellent and it is my understanding that red paint is available for purchase by those who consider themselves 'modellers' should the colour be white with this livery on the production version.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

A couple of decorated examples were on show down at the Kernow 20th Anniversary weekend and they look like they will be show-stopping examples of r-t-r rolling stock.   Very impressive work from Dapol and they deserve to sell like hot cakes.

While not wishing to be a party pooper I did however note (as I would of course) that a white tail lamp probably wouldn't have been seen with the early livery on these two samples as the lamps were still painted red at the time of that livery.  But having said that the appearance of the tail lamp is excellent and it is my understanding that red paint is available for purchase by those who consider themselves 'modellers' should the colour be white with this livery on the production version.

Excellent Mike thank you…. Red paint at the ready then!

However, after I pressed “send” I seem to recall that the Dapol MD advised that the tail lamps will indeed be red on the final versions.

If not it’s not an issue to paint them myself.

Edited by Neal Ball
Red paint added
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Excellent Mike thank you…. Red paint at the ready then!

However, after I pressed “send” I seem to recall that the Dapol MD advised that the tail lamps will indeed be red on the final versions.

If not it’s not an issue to paint them myself.

I did mention the colour of the tail lamp to Dapol's MD,  And got a nice smile in return from him as he - I'm sure - thoroughly understood the way in which I'd commented about the lamp as I was singing considerable praises of the coaches.  And yes - I did hold one so have had quite a good look at it;  the representation of the dynamo drive belt is rather effective seen from the correct angle of view.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I did mention the colour of the tail lamp to Dapol's MD,  And got a nice smile in return from him as he - I'm sure - thoroughly understood the way in which I'd commented about the lamp as I was singing considerable praises of the coaches.  And yes - I did hold one so have had quite a good look at it;  the representation of the dynamo drive belt is rather effective seen from the correct angle of view.

Thanks Mike