N Gauge Code 80 and 55 question.

Andy_C

Hi

A couple of basic and beginner questions, but then again I am new back to this hobby after some time.

I’m considering using Code 55, but wanted to check whether is ok with older N Gauge rolling stock. I know there are some issues with older 00 scale stuff on their standard v fine scale track? 

I’ll be running DCC, so will be looking to solder the track in places. I’m ok at soldering, but has anyone had any issues with Code 55? Should I look to use the joining rails with wires attached, or solder the track itself (I think this could look a lot neater tbh).

Thanks,

Andy.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, excepting some extremely old (50+ year old) European stuff it'll be fine.

Unlike code 75 in OO Peco code 55 is actually 0.083" rail partially embedded in the sleepers. This makes it stronger than code 80, whilst looking far better.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

If you want to run uk outline stock from Lima you will have problems with code 55. Frankly however the lima stock is so poor it is not a loss. 

Code 55 is 30 years old, not exacly new. It was design to run with most models of the time so something will need to be designed in the early/mid 1980's for it to have problems. 

As for Lima their locos were terrible, however, some of the stock was not bad - the Syphon is fine with some replacement bogies and the CCT is quite nice.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 03/02/2022 at 22:19, Andy_C said:

Hi

A couple of basic and beginner questions, but then again I am new back to this hobby after some time.

I’m considering using Code 55, but wanted to check whether is ok with older N Gauge rolling stock. I know there are some issues with older 00 scale stuff on their standard v fine scale track? 

I’ll be running DCC, so will be looking to solder the track in places. I’m ok at soldering, but has anyone had any issues with Code 55? Should I look to use the joining rails with wires attached, or solder the track itself (I think this could look a lot neater tbh).

Thanks,

Andy.

Soldering to code 55 is no problem.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Andy_C said:

Another question - I know the Unifrog is out in the medium point in code 55. Any idea what their next change to code 55 Unifrog will be? 

All bets are off - they’re just changing them as the moulds wear out. It could be anything, at any time. 

• Agree 1